Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Maximum expected range for a red dot sight ? ? ?

Bake
Cowhand
United States of America

Maximum expected range for a red dot sight ? ? ?

Post by Bake » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:15 am

I have seriously been thinking about putting a red dot sight on my next rifle, and I wonder what would be a reasonable maximum range for a red dot sight. I have read several articles suggesting that the red dot becomes less effective after 50-60 yards. It's suitable for 10 to maybe 50 yards, but after that, it loses its effectiveness.

Of course, the color of the dot; red versus green, will have some impact. Assuming a normal color vision and numerous background colors, I believe the red versus green is a wash.

The size of the target and the dot will have a major impact. Regardless of the range, a 6" MOI dot, shooting at a squirrel would be ineffective, whereas a 3" MOI on a deer would be good, and a 6" MOI on an elk would work fine.

ATT, I am leaning toward a bright 1 MOA for all around you use . . .
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Maximum expected range for a red dot sight ? ? ?

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:21 pm

I've used red dots at the same distances as any of my iron sight guns, so I don't see that there is some built in "effective" range to red dots any more than there is some set effective range for iron sights. For me, the lack of magnification on both limits how I use them. When target size and distance (and target brightness) makes target visibility an issue, I go to a scope.

I've shot some very nice groups at 100 yards with my 4 MOA Ultradots using the top of the dot as the aiming point, rather than covering the bullseye with the dot. This requires a red dot with a sharp dot and good optics, though. A fuzzy dot and/or a blurry screen or a screen with a heavy tint to it won't work.

Be careful on that dot size, though. I've used some 2 MOA dots and I can guarantee you that a 2 MOA dot when set at the max brightness that does not cause flare can be very hard to pick up in a busy background back in the woods and the brush. That small a dot is fine for range work, but out in the field it can cost you a shot. It's happened to me. No way would I use a 1 MOA dot out in our woods.

For all around use, including field and target and big and small game hunting, I've always used 3 or 4 MOA dots and done well, but, again that's with a sharp dot and good clear screen.

Each to their own, as always, though.
0 x

Bake
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bake » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:10 pm

I hadn't thought about using the combination "six o'clock / 12:00 o'clock hold", but that does sound like a solution. I was thinking about combining the "maximum point blank range" MOI and the "red dot" MOI to cover the target area [boiler room / A zone]. . .
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:11 pm

That would work. Just remember to use a large enough dot to pick up, easily. There are some models that offer different size dots and some reticle options, too. I'm thinking of going with the Ultradot Matchdot II, for instance.

On a rifle, though, I still prefer a light, low power scope to a red dot. The Leupold UL 2.5x weighs about the same as the Ultradot and costs about as much, too. What I like about a scope is that it can see into the shadows in a way that a red dot can't.
1 x

Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Handloader » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:49 pm

I was in the hunt for a red dot for my BFR .500 S&W 7.5-inch barrel hand cannon. I settled for an Ultradot-4 as it can take the heavy recoil of my pistol. I can now reach out to 100 yards at 6-inch groups. They also make them for rifles.
https://ultradotusa.com/product/ultradot-4-m/
0 x
Semper Paratus (Always Ready) Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:02 am

I've used a red dot out to 100 yds in practice. At 100 yds, it opened the groups up a lot. It was still acceptable.

I haven't tried any further out.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:11 pm

must say I'm impressed .... guess I can't get the level of perform out of a red dot that the rest of you guys .... I've found that lighting makes a huge difference .... the dimmer the light and the darker the background the longer distance I can see a red dot .... I have a good red dot on my Ruger Redhawk 44 mag .... under most conditions I can use it effectively out to 25 yards .... by 50 yards lighting really comes into play .... no way I'd hunt with one where shots would be much more than 25 yards
0 x

PBSnooker
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by PBSnooker » Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:37 pm

I've used red-dots, with a magnifier, out to 200 yards with good results.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:43 pm

Timely topic. I got a red dot for Christmas.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234