Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Peep Sight Questions.......

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Peep Sight Questions.......

Post by Mr. Neutron » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:33 pm

Made it to the range this a.m.. Many thanks to member GFK for his advice to rest the receiver on the sandbag, I feel this helped a lot.

With the .7" tall brass front sight and the RPP peep, the first group I shot was at 25 yards Almost a 2" group. Not great for off a bench, but at this point, I'm happy just to have a group on paper, even if it's still around 2.5" higher than I want (again, at 25 yds.). Looked like this:
20221014_103306 (2).jpg
Moving the same target out to 100 yards really exposed some weaknesses in my shooting. The combination of me sucking and somewhat of a warmish barrel is flat embarassing. :oops: Anyway, at 100 yds., holding the post at the bottom of the 3" red bullseye (6 o'clock hold), sent my first shot over the top of the target. The second shot, same hold, is in the yellow, upper right. Changing my hold to a 6 o'clock hold at the bottom of the target got me back on paper. Shots 3 & 4 were decent (for my eyes and shooting ability at 100 yds.). Shot #5 was a total muff on my part. Shot #6 was stacked on top of my 25 yd. group.
20221014_185845 (2).jpg
This all showed me that I really need to practice with my rifle, on the bench and off. Need to show more patience and let the barrel cool more. And I still need a front sight about .075" higher...... :)

I did get lucky this afternoon and scored 3 more boxes of the Winchester 150 Power Point. They may not group as good as the Federal Fusions I have, or the Hornady Leverevolutions, but for now, they can get me close to where I'd like to be. If I limit my shots to, say, 75 yards or less, I think I can hunt with this setup. My first bull elk was shot at 15 yards in the trees, so there is a chance........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mr. Neutron on Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:16 am

Nice report! Glad that you are making progress. Keep shooting. I believe that you will find the sweet spot. At times, I may only shoot 10 rounds or so, within an hour. After then, I am done. I just take my time when squeezing the trigger. I did not know that could be so exhausting. At any rate, happy hunting!
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:28 pm

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:33 pm
... scored 3 more boxes of the Winchester 150 Power Point. They may not group as good as the Federal Fusions...
Good to see your progress. Federal Fusion for me has been the best as well. Winchester Power Point and Remington Core Lokt the worst. Even my reloads using Leverevolution powder are better than those two.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:19 pm

Mags, I know this is "off-topic", but.......

If it's okay to ask (if not, you can tell me to mind my own business...... :P ), did you have to get your Leverevolution powder thru the interwebs somewhere, or did some one here in our area get some in? Has it been awhile since you bought it? What bullets are you pushin' with your powder?
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:10 am

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:19 pm
Mags, I know this is "off-topic", but.......

If it's okay to ask (if not, you can tell me to mind my own business...... :P ), did you have to get your Leverevolution powder thru the interwebs somewhere, or did some one here in our area get some in? Has it been awhile since you bought it? What bullets are you pushin' with your powder?
I got walk-in lucky at Sportsmans, twice. Not sure of the dates. But I think in 2021. I've seen it on the shelf at least once since then (but seldom otherwise). I used the Hodgdon website for reload data. 35.7-36.3gr. I use Hornady #3035, a 150gr RN .308 diameter bullet.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:46 pm

Thought I'd give abit of "update" of sorts on my progress with my sight setup........

Real quick, first: If I had settled on a BARREL Mounted peep sight, things would've been MUCH easier. Most likely I could have simply ordered a slightly taller front sight, or maybe not even needed a taller one at all, and things likely would've been splendid.

But I much prefer a RECEIVER mounted rear peep, so I had to go on a quest to get a taller front sight to work with the
taller receiver peep. I like the longer sight radius with the peep on the receiver, and I learned that I prefer the sight picture from a Skinner receiver peep over my RPP receiver peep. Just a personal (probably OCD) preference. The RPP is a fine peep, but it still needs a taller front sight to work on my rifle also. I do thnk the Skinner peep has more adjustability, as far as windage and elevation are concerned.

I took a lot of measurements on my gun to find out how far above the rifle's bore centerline the Skinner peep actually sat. I then tried to get a front sight combo that would give a value close to what I needed to match the Skinner peep's height, and allow a few turns of adjustment of that peep, I went with a Williams Streamlined Screw On Hoodless ramp. You can get these in differing heights; I bought one that was 7/16" tall. I then took my Skinner brass .7" tall post and filed and sanded it down to .6" in height. The front sight/ramp combo looks like this:
20221026_163030.jpg

Back sight is now the Skinner Alaskan peep: (Again, not bagging on the RPP peep. There's just things about the Skinner I prefer. Don't really care what either looks like, cosmetically. I just prefer the Skinner's sight picture and adjustability more...... 8-) )
20221026_164033.jpg
The Skinner peep/Williams ramp and brass post front sight netted a 1" group for me at 25 yards, but for some reason, I can't post the picture of it. The group is pretty well centered, but about 4"+ below where I want it to be. I'm okay with that. A needed shorter front sight is easy enough to make with the Skinner post, or buy another one. Either way, it's not too hard of a change to make.......

And this leads me to a question I have for the knowledge base here. With a rear peep sight, what type of front sight (Patridge-stype post, or a TruGlo/HiViz fiber optic) do you folks prefer to HUNT with? I get the concept of the post blocking less of the target. And it's a very valid point. But I've shot with fiber optics of some sort on almost all handguns for a long time, and just feel more "comfortable" with those. The glow from these little plastic light pipes sure seems to be easier to find in low light conditions, like I'd expect when hunting. The sky was pretty overcast yesterday, and the brass post could be harder to get more "definition' sometimes, for my eyes, anyway. :ugeek: Does anyone here shoot a fiber optic with a 6 'oclock hold?

Again, Thanks in advance for all your help, replies, and advice, It is SO MUCH appreciated!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mr. Neutron on Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:57 pm

Here's another attempt at my target photo. Again, it's nothing to brag about, it's only at 25 yards, but it is better than I have been getting, and a little closer to where I want the group to be, as well as easier to resolve for elevation, I'm hoping.

I'm thinking that it may lean me towards hunting with the post front sight, as I haven't yet shot a group any better than I have here...... :oops:
20221026_215802.jpg
Last edited by Mr. Neutron on Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:20 am

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:57 pm
...Aww, crap!!! For whatever reason, it's rotated clockwise 90 degrees. Sigh. This picture posting thing is kickin' my buttocks on this message board...... :oops: :oops:
Using a cell phone to take pictures? Try taking your pictures with the top of the phone rotated 90' left.

There is an old topic in the photography topics that go into this for this website issue.
1 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:43 am

Hey, Mags!

Thanks man! I'll search for that thread.

But all my other pics were taken with the same camera, and there were no weird "rotational" issues with them? :oops:

Added in EDIT:
Fixed it! Found the thread that dealt with it. I guess it was the way my camera sized it? Had to edit it on my phone (resized it, I *think*). No small feat for a Tech Goober like myself....... :?
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:00 am

Looks nice! I use a 6 o’clock with my Marlin 1894, which has a fiber front post. Yet, it also has a semi-buckhorn rear sight. Due to the look and expected range of shooting (75 yards or less), I plan to keep the semi-buckhorn. I have not hunted with it yet. But, I would.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).