Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Peep Sight Questions.......

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Peep Sight Questions.......

Post by Mr. Neutron » Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:27 pm

Hey, All!

It seems like since I got my H009G .30-30 around a month ago, I've been on a quest for some sights I like. I'm one of those that doesn't get along with the factory Buckhorn back sight, which is strictly personal preference.

My plan was to put a Skinner receiver mount peep sight on my .30-30 like I have on my .22 Golden Boy H004, so when I practiced with the .22, it would make shooting, the sight picture, picking up the target, and such similar for the .30-30.

The problem (for me) is that I'd really like a fiber optic-type sight for the .30-30 like what I have on my .22. I have a Ranger Point Precision front fiber optic sight (.565" high) with the Henry Express (receiver mounted) Rear sight on the .22. I LOVE this setup! For myself, it works really well.
20221011_143207.jpg

I really like the way this sight is angled downwards towards the muzzle. It's diameter blocks very little of the target at 20-40 yds., and the light green "dot" you see when shooting shows up nicely for my old eyes.

But for my .30-30, I need a MUCH higher front sight than was needed on the .22. My shots from the .30-30 were around 13" high at 25 yards with the Skinner Alaskan peep sight and my factory bead front sight. They were almost that high with the Buckhorn sights. I actually had to remove the elevation adjustment ramp for the Buckhorn sights to get a huntable shot placement lower on paper at 25 yds.. Must be the stackup of tolerances with my particular rifle, I suppose. The gun groups nicely at 25 yds. and at 100 yds. (considering my eyes :geek: ), but is set for about a 300 yd. zero with almost any combo of sights I've tried so far. :roll:

Rob Olson at Skinner (A TRULY Great Guy to work with!) calculated that I need a front sight right at 1" high for my H009G rifle. So I special ordered a dovetail-mount ramp with a brass post (.700" tall) front sight from Skinner, but I'm not tickled about the sight picture I get with that ramp/post combo, and again, would really like a similar sight picture to what my .22 has. I haven't shot it yet with the Skinner Ramp/brass post, but like I said, I'm kinda "predisposed" to not like it........

I have a Williams Shorty dovetail-mount ramp, 3/8" high, coming from Midway. I'm hoping my Skinner peep will adjust low enough to work with another Ranger Point Precision front sight like the .565" high front sight I have on my .22. That combo should yield a front sight height of around .940", if things work out.

I'm wondering if anyone else who wanted a receiver-mount peep has had to jump through hoops like this to bring their shot placement down on their .30-30?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mr. Neutron on Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Peep Sight Questions.......

Post by Cofisher » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:12 pm

I've not heard of needing a 1" front sight. That seems extreme. Have you looked at the LoPro Skinner rear peep? It gives the lowest rear sight I know of. Good luck.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Luv the lever » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:38 pm

I had read that most of the receiver mounted sights will require a higher front sight. If I was to install a peep on my 30-30 I'd have stuck with the barrel mounted peep or change them all to the fiber. I have to be honest, the 357 X was staying black and getting a red dot but after shooting it with the fiber optic sights they will stay and the black will be replaced with walnut.
2 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:56 pm

I had read that most of the receiver mounted sights will require a higher front sight.
Thanks for the response, Luv the Lever, and for confirming what my "SEARCH"es have found. I appreciate that very much. I wish there was a way to get a Skinner Peep on my gun without having a front sight sticking up like a Great White Shark dorsal fin.

I didn't write it above, but I do also have a Ranger Point Precision receiver-mounted peep sight. The RPP's aperture sits a good .100" lower than the Skinner aperture. It also shot a good bit high with my stock .615" tall front sight, but less so than the Skinner peep. I'm hoping maybe one of these combinations of ramp/front sight and peep sight will get me wherre I want to hit, and possibly with some extra adjustabilty for a variety of different ammo. Still a bit surprised with how tall of a front sight the Skinner requires in some cases.
If I was to install a peep on my 30-30 I'd have stuck with the barrel mounted peep or change them all to the fiber.
I see where Hi-Viz makes a 2-dot rear/1 different colored front dot setup (HHVS570 here) that looks like what you were thinking of maybe? I shot a similar setup on my Kimber 1911 when I shot Action Pistol and Steel Plate matches, and loved the way that worked for me. Good fast target acquisition....... :P
I have to be honest, the 357 X was staying black and getting a red dot but after shooting it with the fiber optic sights they will stay and the black will be replaced with walnut.
Nice. I build solid body electric guitars for a hobby, along with doing woodwork for my wife's antique biz. I've come to really like the look of wood with good interesting figure to it.
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:59 pm

I found that a six oclock hold worked to center my groups, rather than center mass. Nice groups with the skinner peep and factory front sight.
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:22 pm

Hey, BrokenolMarine!

Is your Skinner Peep mounted on the barrel, or on the receiver? I think I've read that you can use the factory front sight with a barrel mounted peep......

By any chance do you know how tall your front sight is? Mine (bead) that came with my H009G .30-30 is .615" tall, for reference.
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:00 pm

With the LowPro, I actually had to file the front sight down! Don't understand the issue here.
1 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:30 pm

Hey, Cofisher!

Sorry I somehow missed your earlier post.
I've not heard of needing a 1" front sight. That seems extreme. Have you looked at the LoPro Skinner rear peep? It gives the lowest rear sight I know of. Good luck.
I thought that seemed really high myself. There can be any number of reasons for needing a sight this high. Manufacturing tolerances, barrel maybe not being screwed into the receiver at the most optimum angle at the barrel's shoulder/receiver mating point, maybe the taper of the barrel, or a combination of these and other things. When I spoke to Rob Olson at Skinner, he said it wasn't all that unusual, and almost a quarter-inch lower than "The Record". Some poor person needed 1.2" of front sight height to use a receiver mounted Skinner peep! :o Please bear in mind his calculations include a tiny bit of " elevation adjustment room" to be able to work with different ammo/reloads.

I did look at the LoPro skinner Peep, but was wanting something with some windage adjustment built into the rear sight. I realize I could just drift the front sight over to adjust windage, and may very well still need to do that with whatever setup/combo that I wind up with. I believe the Ranger Point Precision peep may do what I need to, but along with a dovetail mount or screw on ramp for the front. The aperture on that RPP rear peep sits a good bit lower than the Skinner, and has some windage adjustment. But I really prefer the Skinner sight picture, and would like to have one on my .30-30 like I have on my .22 H004.

BrokenolMarine, thanks for the Great Tip on the 6 o'clock hold! Great advice & help! I feel like a real Goober for not thinking of
doing that...... :roll: Thanks again!!
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:56 pm

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:56 pm
I didn't write it above, but I do also have a Ranger Point Precision receiver-mounted peep sight. The RPP's aperture sits a good .100" lower than the Skinner aperture. It also shot a good bit high with my stock .615" tall front sight, but less so than the Skinner peep. I'm hoping maybe one of these combinations of ramp/front sight and peep sight will get me wherre I want to hit, and possibly with some extra adjustabilty for a variety of different ammo. Still a bit surprised with how tall of a front sight the Skinner requires in some cases.
The setup that I have on my H009 is RPP aperture with factory front post. I like the sight picture. Thought about changing the front post to fiber. But, I haven't gotten there yet. I am not that unhappy with the current setup to move too quickly with the change out. Below is what I have been able to shoot with the setup so far. I am also a fan of the 6 O'clock hold.

Henry+Peep+Blank.JPG
H009-Peep.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:15 pm

Mr. Neutron, great handle. I found no need for windage adjustment. My steel 357 shoots awesome with sights as done. Look for my earlier posts on this set up. Simple and easy. Also gives a rail for scope if desired.
0 x