BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Peep Sight Questions.......

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:16 pm

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:22 pm
Hey, BrokenolMarine!

Is your Skinner Peep mounted on the barrel, or on the receiver? I think I've read that you can use the factory front sight with a barrel mounted peep......

By any chance do you know how tall your front sight is? Mine (bead) that came with my H009G .30-30 is .615" tall, for reference.

My Skinner is mounted on the Receiver. I got the Brass and Black and love the way it looks and shoots. I don't know the height, and can't measure it now as the house is asleep. It's the factory front sight that comes on the .357 Big Boy Carbine.

2.jpg

As you can see, once I went to the peep, the Carbine shoots pretty good for old eyes with the peep.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:18 pm

What I used to do with Rifles is set the sights for a known distance, then shoot at others and note the hold over/under so I didn't have to mess with adjustments. I didn't hunt so I was just shooting cans or steel and it worked. Competition was a different story. We set battle zero and then counted clicks to the yardage settings EVERY TIME.
0 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:21 pm

GFK, Those are Fantastic Groups!!!!

I hope mine will group like that (with my eyes, and my trigger finger) someday........ I'm glad you get by with the factory front sight for yours!
I can't find my targets I shot over 2 different days at the range, but trust me, they were horrible regarding elevation. Groups weren't too bad; but nowhere near what yours are. On the large sized Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-C targets (has a 3" red center, with a black 17"-8 ring) I had to hold at the bottom of the 17" black ring to get shots to hit 13-14 inches higher into the top of the 9-ring, with my Skinner Alaskan peep and factory front sight. The RPP peep/factory front sight yielded a group around 2" lower, all at 25 yards. :( At least my windage was good...... ;)

Cofisher, my last name is Newton. I raced the Pro class in local motocross races in the '70s and '80s. My riding buddies and myself all watched Monte Python's Flying Circus regularly. For a few weeks, that show had skits with a character played by Graham Chapman named "Mr. Neutron" ("The most powerful man on earth", if I recall correctly). My riding buddies tagged me with that nickname in the mid-to-late '70s, and it just kinda stuck. I've just kinda "owned it" ever since then.......

BrokenolMarine, another Great Grouping!!! If that's "The Alaskan" peep, that's what I have (and really like!). I badly want mine to work......

Thanks for putting up with me here, and for all the help on this!
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:40 pm

You'll find that we have a good group here. I tell newbies when they join, when I get the time and feel up to it, that it's a family. Jump in and post, ask questions and share pictures. It's a family, so we might pick on yah, but all in good fun, you know... like family. The mods won't let folks be mean and it's not in most folks nature anyway, here.

I joined a few forums in the past where you ask a question and the only answer you get is "Search Feature is there for a reason." I usually cancelled my membership there, even if the comment wasn't addressed to me. That is not the attitude I need to be around. In most cases, people have tried to search and seen what was pulled up, and would rather ask a specific question and get NEW information.

Or they aren't comfortable with the information they got by searching.

Family. And... some family members are Grumpy. (That's what my grandkids call me.)
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:09 am

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:21 pm
I can't find my targets I shot over 2 different days at the range, but trust me, they were horrible regarding elevation. Groups weren't too bad; but nowhere near what yours are. On the large sized Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-C targets (has a 3" red center, with a black 17"-8 ring) I had to hold at the bottom of the 17" black ring to get shots to hit 13-14 inches higher into the top of the 9-ring, with my Skinner Alaskan peep and factory front sight. The RPP peep/factory front sight yielded a group around 2" lower, all at 25 yards. :( At least my windage was good...... ;)
Are you trying different brands of ammo? Mine seems to shoot closer to POA with Federal 150 gr. Also, are you using a sand bag or other soft rest when shooting from a bench? A soft rest seems to have a more consistent POI for me. And, breathing, or lack of, helps me to be more consistent. When I exhale, I hold for no more than 10 seconds, while squeezing the trigger. If I don’t fire within the 10 seconds, I start the process over again.

15B70E54-36DE-44F8-92FA-69A03F112C95.png
3FB6B4E1-149D-4012-99C2-C3663F3880D8.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:11 am

Mr. Neutron... this is what I came up with on all my Henry rifles. Was easy for me to make out of old hacksaw blade ends and slips right in Henry rear sight mount. Works great for me and cheap! Sight hole is .150 diameter and works great with factory front sight.
2 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:30 pm

Fortyshooter,
I love your idea you came up with! I saw your thread about this. I've used old hacksaw blades myself for a variety of little "projects" I've needed to engineer. Its pretty good steel. On my gun however, my groups were still really high with the factory buckhorn rear sight. Holding the front bead at the very bottom of the rear notch still shot high, even with the elevation ramp removed.

I began shooting Federal Fusion 150 grainers at first, and began to run low on those. Next tried a box of Winchester 150 grn. rounds, which were all that was available to me at the local gun shop at the time. These moved the group down a tiny (1/2" maybe) bit. Both brands grouped at around 1.5"-2" for 3 shot groups at 25 yds., but always several inches high. And windage was great with both brands.

Now, I'm soon going to be at the mercy of just whatever brand(s) of ammo I can find. For whatever reason, .30-30 ammo is really tough to find anywhere close to where I Iive.

For reloading, I don't really have what seems like a great .30-30 powder (some H335), no bullets, and very few large rifle primers left. Never dreamed we'd see the shortages of reloading stuff we have now. So I pretty much will be shooting factory stuff for the future. I guess that I got spoiled years ago shooting around 1000 rnds. of .45ACP ammo a month, for practice & matches. All cranked out of my Dillon XL650. Reloading components were all easily available, and much cheaper.

Have been shooting off of sandbags at the fore end of the rifle. I read that on rifles with separate wood stocks like our lever guns have, to use your shoulder as the back "rest". Something about potentially inducing "pressure" on the stock that's different from shooting in the field? Seems somewhat "wrong" and different to me. With my scoped .30-06, I sandbagged the front and back in an effort to reduce any sort of operator caused error. All I do on that gun is basically just lightly press the trigger, once the crosshairs are set.

GFK, that written description of your shooting process, along with the diagrams, is one of THE BEST I've seen. Very helpful! I will try to use these as best as I'm able to next range day. Thank you for that!

And thank you to all that have replied here. I very much appreciate all your help & advice. I will try to report back & get some pics after I get my taller sight ramp on, and get some range time in. Thanks again!
2 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:37 pm

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:30 pm

On my gun however, my groups were still really high with the factory buckhorn rear sight. Holding the front bead at the very bottom of the rear notch still shot high, even with the elevation ramp removed.

I began shooting Federal Fusion 150 grainers at first, and began to run low on those. Next tried a box of Winchester 150 grn. rounds, which were all that was available to me at the local gun shop at the time. These moved the group down a tiny (1/2" maybe) bit. Both brands grouped at around 1.5"-2" for 3 shot groups at 25 yds., but always several inches high. And windage was great with both brands.

Now, I'm soon going to be at the mercy of just whatever brand(s) of ammo I can find. For whatever reason, .30-30 ammo is really tough to find anywhere close to where I Iive.

Have been shooting off of sandbags at the fore end of the rifle. I read that on rifles with separate wood stocks like our lever guns have, to use your shoulder as the back "rest". Something about potentially inducing "pressure" on the stock that's different from shooting in the field? Seems somewhat "wrong" and different to me. With my scoped .30-06, I sandbagged the front and back in an effort to reduce any sort of operator caused error. All I do on that gun is basically just lightly press the trigger, once the crosshairs are set.
Mr. Neutron,

I was shooting high while using buckhorn as well. After contacting Henry and re-reading the owner manual, I realized that the white diamond insert was adjustable. After adjusting it down some, I was shooting closer to POA. I wanted a tighter group yet still using an open sight. So, I ended up with a RPP peep.

When I shoot using a rest, I do try and set the receiver on the sandbag. Also, I rest the butt against shoulder as support. With my free hand, I use it to support the rear stock and adjust POA, if required. The trigger is not too light. So, the rifle may move some, as I squeeze the trigger.

Yes, 30-30 seems to be harder to find. I find a few boxes at Wal-mart, from time to time. However, I stocked up during the last dry up of ammo. So, I have a few boxes. I have not tried Federal Fusion though. I just been using the blue box. Below is what I was shooting using buckhorn.

25yards Bench-2.JPG
2 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:54 pm

Man, thanks, GFK!!! You're giving me lotsa help and stuff to try here...... :idea:
When I shoot using a rest, I do try and set the receiver on the sandbag.
I hadn't even thought about doing that. I'm gonna try that tomorrow at the range. I have my RPP rear peep on, along with the .700" tall brass post (stock bead height is around .615" high.....) I got from Skinner. It's a combo I haven't tried yet, and I'm hoping it might be close with a 6 o'clock hold. I'm kinda hamstrung a bit with the range I'm a member of ( along with my old eyes :ugeek: :roll: ). The range is only 10 minutes away, so it's handy. But they only let us shoot at either 25 yds. or 100 yds.. I'd really prefer to sight in at 75 yds., but will have to try going up to some nearby NF areas for that.

I have some (2 boxes) Winchester 150 grn. Power Point rounds, 2 boxes of the Federal Fusion 150 grainers, and 3 boxes of the 160 grn. Hornady Leverevolution rounds. Will try to use my Winchester ammo for sighting in tomorrow, as it and the Federal rounds shot almost identical 25 yrd. groups at nearly the same windage and elevation. Not much of a stockpile, fer shure, unless some of the local places get some .30-30 ammo in. I have an Elk hunt coming up in 3 weeks, and I'd like to shoot the Hornadys for that, if possible.

Here's my rifle and my ammo stockpile:

Here's the Skinner Brass sight. To use this with my Skinner peep a .312" high ramp is needed (according to the calculations), making a total 1" high front sight setup. But the ramp I was sent from Skinner doesn't really fit tight, and has some side-to-side movement. I got my Williams .375" high dovetail lock Shorty ramp in the mail today, but it has the same movement issue as the Skinner.

Here's a closer look at the Skinner Brass front sight:

Here's the RPP peep sight:

FWIW, I tried adjusting the diamond lower, flipping the diamond upside down (for a sorta peep sight), then removing the diamond insert. I wound up filing the notch for the buckhorn sight down lower and removing the ramp to get the rifle to hit closer to point of aim. Hoping to get *something* working before I leave to go hunting in a few weeks. //and to find some more ammo, hee hee...... :D

Added in EDIT: I don't know how I butchered up the order of the photos & such. Hopefully, you still get the gist of it......
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:12 am

Nice looking setup! I suspect that you will find something that will work. Persistence is the key. Frustration will probably come along. Yet, things seem to work out in the end.

Happy hunting!
0 x