Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Peep Sight Questions.......

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Peep Sight Questions.......

Post by Mr. Neutron » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:46 am

Thanks, GFK!!

I kinda feel that your suggestion to put the receiver on the sandbags, instead of the wood foregrip, helped a bunch. I'll be eternally grateful to you for that tip you gave earlier in this thread. :)

And I appreciate you chiming in about your Marlin's front sight setup as well.That helps me. By any chance does your Marlin have any sort of sight ramp, or is that front sight dovetailed into the the barrel?

Like GFK, I really wanna keep my shots at 75 yds. or less. Not so much due to the sights or caliber; sometimes I have a tough time seeing antlers (or not) at distances over that without my binocs. My local gun club only lets us shoot at either 25 yds. or 100 yds.. I really have to find somewhere that I can set a 75 yd. zero.......

Almost all of my "modern handguns" have a fiber optic or Tritium dot setup sighted in at a 6 o'clock hold. Before the ammo & reloading component supply went goofy, these were what I shot the most, and I'm very much a creature of habit. I really wish I could find a flat topped fiber optic sight for my rifle that's similar to what I have on my Kimber .45. I like the flat Patridge-style post, but with a glowing dot near the top of the post. Most fiber optic rifle front sights (with the 3/8" dovetail) seem to have a rounded top.

I am still amazed at how high of a front sight I'm winding up with to get it to work with either of the receiver peep sights I have! :o I figure I'll end up with either a post or fiber optic front sight around .500" tall and mounted on a 7/16" tall ramp.

I may try some sight paint on my post to see if that helps some. :idea:

Thanks again for all the help, Y'all!!!
2 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:29 pm

Hi Mr. Neutron,

The front sight is dovetail. Below is a link. Also, I have the rear sight set at max elevation. So, I may replace the front post. I got one to match the original height (.343"). It is shooting just about where I would like the height to be. But, it is a little to the right. I may adjust windage a bit. Yet, I want to wear in the trigger a little more, before I do. The trigger seems a little stiff. In addition, I replaced the hood for the post with one that has an opening. So, the fiber can get more light.

Sight:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P9 ... th=1&psc=1

1894C.jpg

For comparison, this is where POI was using the original post with rear sight at max:

50Yards-1.JPG

DSCN0535.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:35 pm

Nice Shooting, GFK!!! Very nice groups, and especially at 50 yds.! 8-)

I guess I got lucky with the trigger on my H009G. My manual (spring) Williams trigger pull scale has my trigger pull consistently breaking a 3 & 3/4 lbs.. I just received my RPP sear & spring kit this afternoon, but I'm almost hesitant to put it in.
Last edited by Mr. Neutron on Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:44 am

3 and 3/4 pounds seem good. I don't know what my 1894 breaks at. But, it seems firm to me. My Henry seems to have a softer break. Yet, I plan to shoot the 1894 some more. I rather wear it in. As often as I shoot it, it may be another year or so. I cycle through my firearms about once a year. So, not much shooting. However, I am hoping that will change, when I decide to stop working. Until then, I just shoot, when I get a chance.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:44 pm

Well, it had been awhile since I originally checked the rifle's trigger pull, & I guess I forgot what it was when I posted above. I actually just re-checked my rifle's pull again, and the gauge consistently read 3.5 lbs. after numerous readings this morning. Maybe my old gauge is flaky, but I think I may not put the new sear in. I think I'll put the trigger, hammer, and lever shims in, and lube the hammer & sear's engagement surfaces with Brownell's "Action Lube Plus" and re-measure.

Added in EDIT: I decided "What the heck....." and decided to put the RPP Sear & Spring in while I had the gun diassembled. It reduced the trigger pull to 3 lbs., and sometimes the high 2 lb. range (2 & 15/16??). I'm no Trigger Snob, but it's a nice feeling trigger. I like it. Hoping it may help shrink my groups a bit......
2 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:28 pm

Well, hoping for a bit of “closure” for this front sight/Skinner receiver peep saga. I just couldn’t get over how high of a front sight my rifle required to work with my Skinner Express front sight. I don’t think I’ll regret all I needed to do to get it working, but man, oh man, was it ever some effort to get there………

I’ve wound up with a Williams 7/16” Streamlined screw-on front ramp and a .450” high brass front Patridge post. I still need to bring up my grouping an inch or so at 25 yards. I’m hoping to get a 75 yard zero, mostly because my dominant eye cataract makes it tough for me at any longer of a distance. I also need to remember to bring tools (hammer and a punch) to knock the back sight around for windage.

3BF1373F-1E63-4AB1-9D67-A5FAFB0AB6F1.jpeg

There are two 3-shot groups in the pic. The bottom one is with some 150gr hand loads, while the slightly tighter upper group is from Hornady 170s. The 170 Interlocks may be what I pursue for my reloads, I think…….. :idea:

A04CDC6E-F189-4851-B3DC-A29980AE19CD.jpeg

In summary, it would definitely be easier & simpler to have just gone with one of Skinner's barrel mounted peeps. Probably wouldn't have needed the extra hassle of a sight ramp, and possibly just drive out the factory sight, and replace it with a slightly taller one in the factory dovetail, and call it done. Simple.

But I much prefer having the peep as close to my eye as I can get it (the receiver mount Express peep like I went with) for a coupla reasons. Longer sight radius, easier for me to see and look through, and etc.. So, I went that way, and needed a much taller front sight. I think it's gonna be worth it. At the same time, I "switched horses", and decided that I really like the Patridge style post with the 6 o'clock hold, instead of the fiber optic, which does block a lot of the target at longer distances. I now have a similar front sight on my .22 Golden Boy, along with a Skinner receiver mounted Express on the back, so both rifles have near identical sight pictures. Be good for practicing my off hand shooting, which I really suck at. :oops: Another switch I did midstream of all this was to move from 150 gr factory loads to 170 gr hand loads. This kinda muddied things up a bit, even though I know from past experiences to not make more than one change at a time. I really wish that brains and some self discipline came with age……

Thanks to all who helped here, and for putting up with this long-winded affair!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

Mike_S
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mike_S » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:15 am

Luv the lever wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:38 pm
I had read that most of the receiver mounted sights will require a higher front sight. If I was to install a peep on my 30-30 I'd have stuck with the barrel mounted peep or change them all to the fiber. I have to be honest, the 357 X was staying black and getting a red dot but after shooting it with the fiber optic sights they will stay and the black will be replaced with walnut.
I replaced the rear fiber barrel mounted sight on my 357 BBX with the RPP aperture on the receiver, filled in the barrel dovetail, perfect at 25 yards offhand on a paper plate. So far I am tickled the way it worked out.
2 x
Semper Fidelis.
Mike
H012MX

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:56 pm

Glad that worked out for ya, Mike_S!!!!! 8-) 8-)

I too have an RPP rear peep (non-cloverleaf), and have nothing bad to say about 'em. One thing that I Really Liked about it was that it took less of a height adjustment than the Skinner Receiver sight I'm now using. I could have just bought a very tall Patridge-style sight and used the RPP, albeit pretty much bottomed out for elevation adjustment, due to it shootin' too high with whatever front sight I had on at the time. I *think* it could've gotten by without having to resort to screwing on a ramp/front sight combo that the Skinner required. On my rifle, anyways...... That gun shot obscenely high with the factory Buckhorn sights, for some reason, and made getting things dialed in for a peep kinda tough to do while still having some adjustment left for elevation/load changes & etc.. :roll:
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG