Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Front sight off center?

Not_Invented_Here
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Front sight off center?

Post by Not_Invented_Here » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:55 pm

While examining the rear sight and preparing to adjust windage and elevation, I noticed that the front sight/post is slightly off center - if you're aiming with the rifle shouldered, it sits just a teeny bit to the right. You can see that one side of the dovetail is mostly flush with the barrel while the other has a bit of a lip from it extending out.

Being new to Henry's and these types of factory sights, is this normal and to be expected? I put it in a bench vise and gave it a few taps with a brass punch, but didn't see much if any movement. Figured I'd throw up a question on here before taking any other action.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to run a very small scope, so it may be a moot point anyway, but I'd like the factory sights to be functional if/when I ever remove the scope.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Front sight off center?

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:44 pm

Not at all uncommon for a sight to be off slightly to one side in a dovetail when it comes from the factory. Not a big deal unless they are way off. Don't do anything, though, till you shoot the gun and see how the sights actually work.
2 x

Not_Invented_Here
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Not_Invented_Here » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:49 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:44 pm
Not at all uncommon for a sight to be off slightly to one side in a dovetail when it comes from the factory. Not a big deal unless they are way off. Don't do anything, though, till you shoot the gun and see how the sights actually work.
Ah yeah should have said that I noticed this during my first outing to the range. I was a bit all over the place but that’s likely as much due to me and my skill lever as it is to any issues with the sights. Just wanted to confirm that’s normal and that it’s fairly standard to set them in even if need be. I’m still likely gonna rock a low power 2.5x scope so it may end up being a moot point for now as I said, wanted to know tho in case I do ever run peeps or the factory sights
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:58 am

Have you tried shooting from a bench using a rest? That may give you an better idea about the sight.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Not_Invented_Here
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Not_Invented_Here » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:04 am

GFK wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:58 am
Have you tried shooting from a bench using a rest? That may give you an better idea about the sight.
Yeah, made this post after a trip to the range. Was a bit all over the place but on paper at 25yds at least. I absolutely deserve some of the blame as a novice shooter and someone with practically zero experience using this set-up. That said, biggest issue IMO was that I couldn't reliably see/focus on the brass bead - kept losing it to blurry eyesight and the light conditions indoor. I thought on it last night and decided I'm going to try one of RPP's fiber optic front sights that pop a little more. I don't want to abandon the semi bucks entirely, even if I throw a low/fixed power scope on for the majority of the time.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:25 am

That is not a bad idea. I have that type of set up on my Marlin 1894 (semi-buckhorn with a fiber front post). I think I got the post from Amazon for around $10. My biggest challenge was finding the right height. The first that I got was too tall. I like the post so much, I thinking about getting one for my Henry H009. Currently, it has a rear peep sight with the factory front post. The peep sight provides a good sight picture. So, I have not been in a hurry to replace the factory front post. Yet, the fiber front post pops (easier to pick up).
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:56 am

I myself would start with a centered front sight. OCD would not let me leave it alone lol. Brass blade sight on my .357 BB brass is small and rear has a tiny notch so it's accurate on the range, wouldn't be practical for any home defense or truck gun, or hunting but no way that's what I intended it for. It's just a fun Wild West rifle :-)
1 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:46 pm

I agree with Kissmybrass, centering a new front sight can drive me nuts getting it "perfectly' centered. I would also mount the scope and see how it shoots.
0 x

Not_Invented_Here
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Not_Invented_Here » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:57 pm

Agreed, absolutely will not be able to let it go. I went the extra mile and spoke to Henry and their take too was to try and center it. Truth be told, in about 24 hours I'll have the Leupold 2.5x mounted and will hopefully get a chance to run to the nearby range to try it out. If I like it, I doubt I'll retain either the front/rear sight and focus on practicing with that instead. I'll plan to update the thread FWIW
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:39 pm

Good choice on the Leupold.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater