Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Front sight off center?

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Front sight off center?

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:22 pm

For sure on the 2.5x Leupold. Great scope on a lever gun.
0 x

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:09 pm

Not_Invented_Here wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:57 pm
Agreed, absolutely will not be able to let it go. I went the extra mile and spoke to Henry and their take too was to try and center it. Truth be told, in about 24 hours I'll have the Leupold 2.5x mounted and will hopefully get a chance to run to the nearby range to try it out. If I like it, I doubt I'll retain either the front/rear sight and focus on practicing with that instead. I'll plan to update the thread FWIW
What caliber Henry did you get? My scope jumped all over the place with my 45-70 because of the severe kick and my lack of tightening everything down properly. Threadlock fixed that problem.
0 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:02 am

Scopes have their purpose. But, they are not the answer for all situations. If so, every firearm used in the military or law enforcement would have one, which are intended for the use in defense (defense of others and self). The only firearms that I am aware that are used in the military and law enforcement with scopes are used by a unique group (snipers). More than that, people have used firearms for 100s of years without scopes.

To me, it is good to be able to use open sights. That way, a person is not dependent on using firearms only with a scope. Mentioning scopes, I have not seen RR post in awhile. Hope all is well.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Not_Invented_Here
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Not_Invented_Here » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:55 pm

Kissmybrass wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:09 pm
Not_Invented_Here wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:57 pm
Agreed, absolutely will not be able to let it go. I went the extra mile and spoke to Henry and their take too was to try and center it. Truth be told, in about 24 hours I'll have the Leupold 2.5x mounted and will hopefully get a chance to run to the nearby range to try it out. If I like it, I doubt I'll retain either the front/rear sight and focus on practicing with that instead. I'll plan to update the thread FWIW
What caliber Henry did you get? My scope jumped all over the place with my 45-70 because of the severe kick and my lack of tightening everything down properly. Threadlock fixed that problem.
357/38, so that hopefully shouldn't be an issue
0 x

Not_Invented_Here
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Not_Invented_Here » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:02 pm

wanted to share an update here. I ended up receiving and installing the 2.5x Leupold Ultralight using the one-piece Talley base/scope rings sold on the Henry website. While we'd all love a bit more magnification, I think this is going to be the right set-up, as it seems to provide best of both worlds. I can still shoot with both eyes open, and it seems like it'll still be relatively fast handling - a perk I don't need but would like to have. I went ahead and removed both the rear and front sights for the time being - if I ever go back to irons, it'll be with RPP or Skinners and that'll include a front post as well. No need for them at this time. Looking forward to sighting it in.
1 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:28 pm

Looking forward to a range report.

l
1 x

Not_Invented_Here
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Not_Invented_Here » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:04 am

GFK wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:02 am
Scopes have their purpose. But, they are not the answer for all situations. If so, every firearm used in the military or law enforcement would have one, which are intended for the use in defense (defense of others and self). The only firearms that I am aware that are used in the military and law enforcement with scopes are used by a unique group (snipers). More than that, people have used firearms for 100s of years without scopes.

To me, it is good to be able to use open sights. That way, a person is not dependent on using firearms only with a scope. Mentioning scopes, I have not seen RR post in awhile. Hope all is well.
for sure - don't disagree. I think I would have probably been OK with peeps like the RPPs or Skinners, but I had the option to return if the scope didn't work out so I went with that first. Hoping I'm right that the 2.5x is the best of both worlds in terms of offering most of the same perks that open sights allow while taking advantage of a small bit of magnification and the clear FOV. I will say, there's no cheek weld happening with the Talley base/ring setup and this scope, but the chin weld is pretty comfortable/natural feeling and my sense is that with practice, it will be just fine the way it is. Really my only hangup is the parallax setting, as most of the time I'll be shooting between 25-75 yards.

Headed to the outdoor range tomorrow morning so I'll update when I get home.
1 x

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:45 am

Not_Invented_Here wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:04 am
GFK wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:02 am

for sure - don't disagree. I think I would have probably been OK with peeps like the RPPs or Skinners, but I had the option to return if the scope didn't work out so I went with that first. Hoping I'm right that the 2.5x is the best of both worlds in terms of offering most of the same perks that open sights allow while taking advantage of a small bit of magnification and the clear FOV. I will say, there's no cheek weld happening with the Talley base/ring setup and this scope, but the chin weld is pretty comfortable/natural feeling and my sense is that with practice, it will be just fine the way it is. Really my only hangup is the parallax setting, as most of the time I'll be shooting between 25-75 yards.

Headed to the outdoor range tomorrow morning so I'll update when I get home.
And this is why you need more than one rifle lolol - you'll come to learn there are a lot of enablers on this site. Great members on this forum!
Can't wait to see the results!
1 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

Not_Invented_Here
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Not_Invented_Here » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:27 pm

Just got back from a beautiful day at the range! Overall, quite happy with how it went. Sighted in at 25 yards for day. Went with my dad and a friend, so split time between my Ruger American rimfire and his Ruger American .243

With my dad wanting to push out further right away and us sharing targets, I made a mistake with the Henry trying to jump to 50 yards a before I had dialed it in at 25, so I immediately was struggling to even get on paper. After reverting back to 25 and taking turns, we were getting some pretty solid groups, certainly plenty good for my skill level. I'd like to spend a bit of time with it at 25 and then start working on 50, but I need to practice more first.

Gotta say, loving the Leupold 2.5x w/ the Talley base/scope unit. It sits at just the perfect level for my eye line with a solid chin, so I'm likely going to continue running with that for a while I imagine.

Appreciate the input from the earlier posts in the thread. Very happy to own this rifle and I think it complements the Ruger rimfire nicely, depending on what I want to shoot (or can afford to shoot) on a given day ha.
2 x