Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Skinner barrel mount peep

1942farmall
Tenderfoot
United States of America

New Skinner barrel mount peep

Post by 1942farmall » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:06 pm

After reading the positive reviews for Skinner I ordered a barrel mount, blued steel peep for my new Henry 45-70.
I'm pretty impressed how nice this thing fit and the finish is great.
Hats off the Andy Larsen on a great product.
Also finished the sling I was making.
Trying to leave this rifle open sights even though my 54 year old peepers aren't what they used to be.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: New Skinner barrel mount peep

Post by Ernie » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:24 pm

Like the skinner sights as well.
0 x

Metonto
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Metonto » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:42 am

Range report?
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:02 am

Looks nice. I went with a receiver type version. I wonder if there is much of a difference between the two diferent mounts? I suspect not. The semi-buckhorn is a barrel type mount, and it works. Nonetheless, the main thing is to hit the target. So whatever works, that is the type to use.

Henry+Peep+Blank.JPG

Happy shooting!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:23 am

I love my skinner peep. Good choice!
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:34 am

I haven’t got my head around a peep mounted on the barrel, a peep or ghost ring works best positioned as close to the eye as possible, so your brain aligns it naturally, and your eye doesn’t focus on it at all. You will have a lot harder time using it way forward on the barrel, because your eye will (try to) focus on it... and in dim light or shade you might not be able to see it at all. How big is the aperture? For range work from a bench it will work.

I think that a set of Fire Sights would have been a more useful choice. I have no trouble at all seeing the ones on my BBX, though they are not any good for distance work… if a barrel mounted peep was good, why did Henry choose to mount a Skinner receiver version on their Small Game models?

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:06 am

Barrel mounted peeps typically use a larger aperture. I think Skinner supplies the barrel mount peeps with a 125 aperture, instead of the standard 90. I've also removed the aperture on barrel mount peeps and gone ghost ring, when needed. The trick with the barrel mount peeps is to use them the same way as a receiver mount, namely looking through the peep, only concentrating on the front sight, rather than trying to center the front sight in the peep. Little trickier to do with the barrel mount, but just takes a little practice.

True, the barrel mount peep doesn't get you the accuracy of a receiver mount peep, but what I like about the Skinner barrel mount peep is that it allows me to go peep on a lot of old vintage guns that don't have an option for mounting a peep on the receiver (old Model 94s, for instance), plus it leaves the receiver clear for the sake of carrying. Price is a little nicer, too. :)
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:49 am

My barrel mounted peep sight by Fortyshooter gets me min of 6 or 8 inch steel plate at 50 yards and beyond with my Henry. Fortys works for me and several other people here on the forum. I wont argue the fact that its better on the receiver but its more expensive in most cases. There is also time one might need to change the front sight to make the peep on the receiver work. Skinner isnt making those barrel mounted peep sights for fun Im sure he is selling them and they work for people. One thing I had to do on my small game carbine I had was change out the aperture to the next size bigger as it worked better for me. 1942farmall shoot the barrel mounted peep sight and enjoy it. Let us know how it works for you. Mine works great on the 41 mag
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:22 pm

Good point on the lack of need to change out the front sight to a different height with the barrel mount peep, as opposed to the Skinner receiver mount peep. haveusew the barrel you t peep on a dozen different guns with no front sight change needed, though, of course, it's still a possibility with some guns.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:23 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:49 am
My barrel mounted peep sight by Fortyshooter gets me min of 6 or 8 inch steel plate at 50 yards and beyond with my Henry. Fortys works for me and several other people here on the forum. I wont argue the fact that its better on the receiver but its more expensive in most cases. There is also time one might need to change the front sight to make the peep on the receiver work. Skinner isnt making those barrel mounted peep sights for fun Im sure he is selling them and they work for people. One thing I had to do on my small game carbine I had was change out the aperture to the next size bigger as it worked better for me. 1942farmall shoot the barrel mounted peep sight and enjoy it. Let us know how it works for you. Mine works great on the 41 mag
Oh, I did not think about cost. I was thinking more about function. I thought about the Forty special. But, I try and keep things as close to original as possible. I am not a collector; at least I do not consider myself one. Yet, I try and maintain or increase the value of things that I acquire, as best as I can. You never know, when you might have to sell something. Nothing is wrong with personalization. But sometimes, people can be very picky, when buying things. I know, because I can be that way. If I can get a few dollars off due to a scratch, I will take it. But, that is just me.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).