Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Skinner Henry Octagan Screw Mount Sight

outfield
Tenderfoot

Skinner Henry Octagan Screw Mount Sight

Post by outfield » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:44 pm

Anyone have experience with the Octagon Barrel Screw Mount Sight shown on the Skinner site? It looks really good.
I would love to hear any feedback about sighting in with this sight and if you needed a new front sight, web page suggests you might... I checked my Golden Boy last night and it has the two screw holes. I think I'm going to order one up!

Steve
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Skinner Henry Octagan Screw Mount Sight

Post by PT7 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:14 pm

Welcome from the Show-Me-State, outfield.

I have used two other styles of Skinner peeps, and not the one you're looking at --- sorry I can't help you with it. But what I do know is that these peep sights work great, and Skinner puts out quality equipment.

Best with your sight project!
0 x

~Пока~

outfield
Tenderfoot

Post by outfield » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:32 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'll post up my results once I get the sight.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:44 pm

Those are great sights and easy to install. I like the receiver groove sight better because it brings the peep closer to your eye and also increase the sight radius. Check this thread out.

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1048
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

outfield
Tenderfoot

Post by outfield » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:46 pm

The Golden Boy does not have the receiver groove. What you are saying makes perfect sense, and is why I'm looking at the Octagon Screw Mount. It places the peep right at the connection between the receiver and the barrel. The other option is the barrel mounted Dove Tail site, which is a little farther down the barrel.
(UPDATE) I just looked back at the Skinner web page and they show a "Golden Boy Express" sight which is mounted to the receiver, it requires drilling and tapping. I'll need to strongly consider this one. I'm going to contact my local Gunsmith and see if he would install it for me. Thanks for the recommendation Sir Henry!
0 x

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:40 am

I have the dovetail site on my Henry Frontier and it works good, but I am thinking about getting the Octagon Screw just to get a little longer sight radius. I want to stay with the barrel mount sights because they seem to work fine with the standard front sight. From what I have read, the receiver sight will probably require a taller front sight. That's not a big deal, but the receiver on the Frontier is grooved for scope mounts. I kind of want to keep it clear so I can put a scope on there if I want to.
0 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

BB357
Tenderfoot
Ireland

Post by BB357 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:40 pm

Just mounted the Big Boy Express on my BB 357.Looks and works great did have a small problem getting the blank filler with the extra peep onto the rifle ( involved filing)
0 x
JCB
South Carolina

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:05 pm

BB357 wrote:Just mounted the Big Boy Express on my BB 357.Looks and works great did have a small problem getting the blank filler with the extra peep onto the rifle ( involved filing)
I installed the Express on my .357 BB, as well. I didn't file the blank with extra peep, though I probably should have; it took some serious hammering to get it in place.

My Express came with just two Allen wrenches, one to drive the screws into the receiver and one to adjust the peep height; however, the windage adjustment also requires an Allen wrench, one that is quite a bit smaller. Because I only received the two wrenches, I didn't recognize that the windage screw was even there. I learned that from rwortman, a fellow forum member, and I happened to have a wrench that fit, but I'm curious. Did yours come with three Allen wrenches?
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

outfield
Tenderfoot

Post by outfield » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Thanks for all the input guys, this is very helpful.
0 x

larry7293
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by larry7293 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:42 pm

Mine came with no allen wrenches. I have the H001trp which had the skinner sight already installed. Still need to adjust it though.
0 x