Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Skinner Henry Octagan Screw Mount Sight

larry7293
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Skinner Henry Octagan Screw Mount Sight

Post by larry7293 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:24 pm

What size allen wrenches are needed? Metric or standard?

thanks
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:11 am

larry7293 wrote:What size allen wrenches are needed? Metric or standard?
I wish I could tell you, Larry. I've never actually purchased a set of Allen wrenches, but over the years I have collected dozens of them in various sizes that were provided to assemble a variety of DIY products. I keep them in a plastic peanut butter jar. I just selected the smallest one I had, and luckily, it fit the windage screw.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:25 am

Interesting chat on Allen wrenches going here, Gentlemen. Over the last few years I've ordered various Skinner peeps, different configs for mounting on my Henrys. Only once was a single wrench "missing" that I needed. Since it was on my Small Game Carbine, which already comes with the Skinner receiver peep mounted, Henry & Skinner got together via email and immediately sent me the required wrench at no charge. They both have excellent CS going.

Cool idea on storing Allen wrenches in a plastic peanut jar, CT_Shooter. My storage system is a little different, but helps me to know exactly which wrench goes with which fireman. I use plastic meds bottle, and put a small card inside with the name of the rifle on it, e.g. SGC -- or my shotgun, e.g. PUMP -- or the extremely small Allen wrenches for rear sight adjusts on my revolver, e.g. SP101. I can read these small cards through the plastic bottles, of course, and instantly have the wrenches I need for the firearm. There are few other small tools I need for my firearms, e.g. removed sights or extra screws, etc. I store these the same way.

I keep all these marked bottles in a smaller range bag I don't use for my range trips, so this way I know also where everything is. Sometimes it's easy to lose a small Allen wrench in my tool boxes. I know this isn't a sophisticated system, but since I'm talking to myself, I like to K.I.S.S. Seems to work okay to keep me in line and not lose stuff! :lol:
1 x

~Пока~

larry7293
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by larry7293 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:20 pm

What size of allen wrench is needed to adjust the elevation on the peep sight for your small game rifle? I tried a 1/16 inch hex key but it is to big.
thanks
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:40 pm

Since you said there were no Allen wrenches come with your rifle, I'd contact Skinner to get them sent to you. S/B at no charge.

I measured the smaller wrench that loosens the lock screw allowing the aperture stem to turn for elevation adjustment. My hand caliper is mechanical, not a set with digital readout. I have .062" measurement. 1/16" converts to .0625". I would think the 1/16" hex should work. But again either my "mechanical" measurement is just off, or Skinner has built the lock screw not at 1/16". That's something I don't know either way. So again, best way to go is contact them. Easy to do. Dave has set the Skinner website on our Forum banner page --- very easy access.
larry7293 wrote:Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:20 am
What size of allen wrench is needed to adjust the elevation on the peep sight for your small game rifle? I tried a 1/16 inch hex key but it is to big.
thanks
larry7293 wrote:Mine came with no allen wrenches. I have the H001trp which had the skinner sight already installed. Still need to adjust it though.
0 x

~Пока~

larry7293
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by larry7293 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:28 pm

I did contact skinner and they are going to send me a allen wrench. I believe you are right it is 1/16inch. thanks for your help. I have a set of allen wrenches, but not one this small.
1 x