Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Peep sight theory and practice

Beech Creek Gary
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Peep sight theory and practice

Post by Beech Creek Gary » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:39 pm

Moe60 wrote:
Squatch wrote:Now that you've learned the Peep add a Lyman target globe front sight. It gets even better!
I'm pretty happy with my sight picture right now but I am considering a 1/16 bead vs the factory 3/32 to block less of the target.
The 1/16th Williams fiber optic front sight is hard to beat.
0 x
Attack Squadron 65 - US Navy - 1964-1968

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Thu May 04, 2017 8:22 pm

Moe60, low light is not the strong point of the globe sights. But they work. In low light I will use a larger rear aperture in the Skinner and maybe change the insert in the front. The Lyman 20a is larger than the 17a so works better in low light.

Inserts are the best part of the globe sights. You can use a standard post type or a bead or a circle or more depending on what you are shooting.

As far as the circle within the circle. When I have mine properly set up for me the circles disappear. Size the rear aperture to match the front tube.
When you look through the rear sight you just see the target and the front insert. Put it on the target and squeeze!
1 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Moe60
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Moe60 » Sun May 07, 2017 10:57 am

Squatch wrote:
As far as the circle within the circle. When I have mine properly set up for me the circles disappear. Size the rear aperture to match the front tube.
When you look through the rear sight you just see the target and the front insert. Put it on the target and squeeze!

Hmm...2 circles disappear aim through the third... I'm gonna have to try it!

Step 1 buy digital calipers, step 2 measure existing front sight... step 5 or 6 spend to much at midway! ;)
0 x
I'm just a simple guy - I live from day to day - a ray of sunshine melts my frown and blows my blues away. Robert Plant

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sun May 07, 2017 11:02 am

With the17a I normally use the .040 rear aperture. My bud has one of the Merit adjustable rear apertures. Makes it easy to adjust the rear so that you are just looking at the inside of the front sight. My only complaint with the Merit is they are deep so they can be harder to see through in low light.
1 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Moe60
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Moe60 » Sun May 07, 2017 3:57 pm

Squatch wrote:With the17a I normally use the .040 rear aperture. My bud has one of the Merit adjustable rear apertures. Makes it easy to adjust the rear so that you are just looking at the inside of the front sight. My only complaint with the Merit is they are deep so they can be harder to see through in low light.
Thanks for your help, I will post here after I get the goods. Might be a while though, I already blew my toy budget this month on fishin tackle! :)
2 x
I'm just a simple guy - I live from day to day - a ray of sunshine melts my frown and blows my blues away. Robert Plant

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Tue May 09, 2017 1:15 pm

Just bought 2 new travel rods myself!
1 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Thu May 11, 2017 7:08 am

These are the peep sights on my two target rifles. They may not be peep sights in the accepted sense of the word, but they work exactly the same way. They have a small aperture - usually variable, but not always at the back, and a front sight - sometimes variable, but again, not always.

The first one is fitted to an Anschutz 16XX series rifle.
P1030061.JPG
The aperture is variable between 0.6mm - 3.1mm [0.024" - 0.122"]. The sight also has 6 color filters to help with varying weather conditions, as well as a dual polarizer to reduce glare.

The front sight also has a variable aperture. It can be adjusted from 2.8mm - 4.8mm [0.11" - 0.189"].
P1030064.JPG

My USSR era Vostok CM-2 rifle has a Gehmann 502 rear aperture sight. The aperture is variable between 0.6mm - 2.8mm [0.024" - 0.110"]. It also has a 'Clear view' or see through lens that allows you to see the wind flags without taking your eye away from the aperture

The front sight takes metal or plastic inserts with apertures ranging fron 2.2mm - 4.5mm [0.087" - 0.177"].
P1030056.JPG
P1030058.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu May 11, 2017 8:22 am

very interesting sights .... first time I've ever seen them .... thanks for posting the pictures
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu May 11, 2017 11:18 am

Very impressive, Les. Truly sophisticated target sights, not to mention those rifles.
1 x

Moe60
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Moe60 » Thu May 11, 2017 2:29 pm

Dang Les that's some fine equipment you got there. Wind Flags... I just lick my finger and lean towards the cold side. Then again cans at 50 is a lot different than what you do. ;)
2 x