Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Single Shot H015Y-243 Mounts and See-Through Rings Options

jacodal
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Single Shot H015Y-243 Mounts and See-Through Rings Options

Post by jacodal » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:09 am

Purchased the Henry Single Shot H015Y 243 for my youth hunter. I'd like to put "see-through" style rings on it so I can teach my three boys how to use both open sights as well as the scope (and have the open sights as back up if the scope becomes fogged/damaged), but I'm not sure if there are options. I searched the forum and didn't come across anyone that had tackled this before. Any recommendations? Had planned on putting a smaller optic (2-7x or similar) on it. Not set on any specific brands for rings/mounts or scope brands as of yet - just looking for something of quality that doesn't demand modifications to the gun itself.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Single Shot H015Y-243 Mounts and See-Through Rings Options

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:40 am

Welcome to the forum. I don’t have an answer but thought I would give this thread a bump.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:48 pm

jacodal wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:09 am
... I'd like to put "see-through" style rings on it ...
You might already know that the rifle is
  • Scopeability: Drilled and Tapped
  • Scope Mount Type: Weaver 82
So there will be a lot of ring options out there to search through. Some ring options might mount directly to the rifle receiver without a mount. Perhaps low enough to see through them so as to use the rear buckhorn sight on rifle barrel.

See what Skinner Sights has to offer http://www.skinnersights.com/
Be sure to check out options outside of the Henry section. Rings that fit the Weaver 82 mount or have that hole pattern.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:37 pm

I think you would be better served with a quick release mount. It is hard to get proper cheek weld because the difference in sight height.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:39 pm

I wish I had one of those rifles here to check for you, but I suspect it's going to be one of those try and see how it works things. The one potential problem I see is how low that folding rear leaf sight sits on the Henry single shots. By the time you add a scope base AND rings, that rear sight might not be visible enough to use with a see through mount. As I said, though, you'll have to try it.

I wouldn't worry about scope failure out in the field, though, as long as you go with a quality scope. It's actually pretty rare. As for teaching the use of iron sights, I'd opt for one of the Henry rimfires. Much, much cheaper shooting 22 LR than 243 these days. Just a suggestion. Your call all the way.

Best of luck and hope it works out for you. Keep us posted.
1 x