Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Skinner Express

rwortman
Wrangler
United States of America

Skinner Express

Post by rwortman » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:39 pm

When I took my new BBS .44 to the range the first time (indoor 50 feet) I couldn't see the sights well enough (58 yo eyes) to tell where the gun was shooting. On the paper but all over. I ordered the Skinner Express rear sight with extra aperture holding blank and a .040 aperture in case I wanted to do some fine shooting on a sunny day. Measured my stock front sight at .500". Ordered a Williams 1/16 gold bead in both .538" and .570". They were cheap and I only wanted to order once. Got the Skinner sight and mounted it. Measured the difference in height relative to the receiver between the Skinner all the way down and the stock rear sight in its mid position. It was close to .100" so I installed the .570" and eyballed it to the center of the barrel. Went back to the range. One shot at 25' to see if I was even close. Hit the 3 inch bull at around 9 o'clock about 1 inch from the middle. Ran the paper all the way out to 50' and shot 3 shots all grouped around 2 inches left. Made a 1 turn adjustment up (dead on at 50 feet is too low) and a tweak to the right. Leaned up against the side wall of the shooting stall for support and shot 3 shots cloverleafed an inch high and in the red. Now I need to get to an outdoor range where I can get at least 50 yards away. No way in the world that this rear sight was going to work with the stock front. I suspect those who can get it to zero with a stock front have the brass frames with the thicker barrel that sets both stock sights higher relative to the receiver. It really is amazing how much sharper the front sight looks peering through a peep.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Skinner Express

Post by PT7 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:05 pm

Yes, the Skinner peeps are great sights. Thoroughly enjoy mine on my Small Game Carbine.
Thanks for your summary sharing how you set up your BBS .44, and your range report. :)

rwortman wrote:When I took my new BBS .44 to the range the first time (indoor 50 feet) I couldn't see the sights well enough (58 yo eyes) to tell where the gun was shooting. On the paper but all over. I ordered the Skinner Express rear sight with extra aperture holding blank and a .040 aperture in case I wanted to do some fine shooting on a sunny day. ....... It really is amazing how much sharper the front sight looks peering through a peep.
0 x

~Пока~

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:33 pm

Sounds like you really fine tuned that Skinner. I have one on my Henry Frontier .22, my Rossi 92 .357 and on an old Remington 512 .22 and it is truly amazing how much difference they make.
0 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:07 am

You've been a big help, rwortman. Thanks...
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"