Bifocal Lenses

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Bifocal Lenses

Post by dasmoeturhead » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:37 am

Ojaileveraction wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:57 am
Focus on the front bead and place it where you want it on the fuzzy out of focus target.
That's how I do it.
Not good for scoring well for fine benchrest shooting but works very well for silhouette.
^^^^^ This is exactly right. It's how I have to shoot my Silverboy. I wear trifoculs < is that a word. Anyway it's tough.
0 x
I'm a Ship that can't be Salvaged!

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:55 pm

I have prescription no line trifocals and if I don't hold my head right when looking through a peep sight the front sight looks bent to the left. I am going to get a cheap pair of prescription glasses without trifocals for when I compete to see if that helps.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:04 pm

There are sooo many variables to this condition/problem. I too have issues with sights and targets whether paper or alive.
Depends on what kind of shooting you are doing. Just targets, or hunting. Once you have decided on your priority, then. That is when you decide what you need to do for your set-up.
Could differ, depending on your intentions.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:34 pm

I wanted to add that there are optical inserts that can be put on a reciever sight and/or small lenses that can be strategically placed on the regular eye to help focus the front sight.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

atrox88
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by atrox88 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:30 pm

I am 67 wearing progressive trifocals. I struggle with iron sights. I usually adjust the position of my head to find the sweet spot with the glasses and what I am shooting. Hi Viz sights on a pistol definitly help me but I have not tried them on a rifle, something I intend to do soon. I pretty much go with red dots or scopes anymore. I put a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on my BBS .44 mag today and dialed it in. I love the red dot but I was only shooting at 25 yards in the back yard. We'll see what it does at 50-100 yards next week.
0 x
Henry H001TLB Frontier Long Barrel .22lr
Henry H003T Pump Action Octagon .22lr
Henry H004S Golden Boy Silver .22lr
Henry H012M41 Big Boy Steel .41 Mag

-To be continued-

Jerrysea
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Jerrysea » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:23 am

You can buy via internet glasses that have different corrections on opposite sides of your glasses. I.E. readers on bottom of one side. Plano on bottom of other side or distance correction on bottom or whole lens.
Before I had cataract for distance only surgery I wore progressive lens, they worked well for me,when shooting
Even though I just had correction for distance in my cataract surgery, I use shooting glasses with no corrections now. The surgery gave me 20/15 vision according to my eye doctor.
Seems it helped my ability to see close also. I do use readers for some task.
0 x

jwarrenod
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jwarrenod » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:56 am

Progressive multifocal lenses (vs a lined bifocal) can work better as you can change the focal power you're looking through, but you won't always be able to get them to work well. Depends on the angles you view things at, head tilt etc. I'd suggest that you talk with your optometrist about this. I have patients bring their firearms (hand guns or long guns) into the office so that I can work with them.

I will sometimes make up a specific shooting pair of glasses for them, but usually do that more with hand guns than long guns. Ask around at the range and see if you can get any optometrist recommendations from locals. Some of us are gun toting, paper and deer killing kinda people who understand the angles and optics.

A red dot will however pretty much alleviate the issue, but like you, I love open sights.

JW
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:18 am

jwarrenod wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:56 am
Progressive multifocal lenses (vs a lined bifocal) can work better as you can change the focal power you're looking through, but you won't always be able to get them to work well. Depends on the angles you view things at, head tilt etc. I'd suggest that you talk with your optometrist about this. I have patients bring their firearms (hand guns or long guns) into the office so that I can work with them.

I will sometimes make up a specific shooting pair of glasses for them, but usually do that more with hand guns than long guns. Ask around at the range and see if you can get any optometrist recommendations from locals. Some of us are gun toting, paper and deer killing kinda people who understand the angles and optics.

A red dot will however pretty much alleviate the issue, but like you, I love open sights.

JW
I have progressive lenses and they DO require getting used to. It's almost like the lenses themselves have taught me over time by guiding my head to the right position, for clarity without me even thinking about it.
Hope that makes sense? Best way I can describe it. ;)
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:03 pm

I don't think my eye doctor at the eye clinic, Dr. Wang, would like me walking into his place with a gun. I can't even get him to remove this darn cataract. He says it ain't ready yet but I have a hard time seeing out of the right eye now when I try to focus through the scope. Forget iron sights on a rifle and I have to bring my head over to use my left eye with the pistols. With all that said, I wore progressive lens glasses and they did good for me seeing the sights and or far off target in the scope. I like them better then the lined glasses that I had to use while welding at the shop. I could not tilt my head with the progressives to see less I wanted to get welder's flash and they didn't do as well for me for shooting either.
0 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

Oldbrass
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Oldbrass » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:25 am

I wear glasses and put a peep sight on my 30-30 it solved the eyesight issue..
0 x
30-30, Helping bad fisherman eat since 1895