Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Bifocal Lenses

Deacon
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Bifocal Lenses

Post by Deacon » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:17 am

I have a question regarding sights, I am 64 yrs old and wear bifocals. When I focus on the front bead and then move over the target I lose the front bead. I have to shoot as soon as I get the bead where I think I want it. I have considered HiViz or a Red Dot. I would prefer to shoot open sights. Any thoughts?
0 x
“Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever”
Monty Walsh

H001T
H006
H011C
H010B
Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag 7.5”
Ruger Blackhawk 45 long colt 5.5”
Taurus Raging Hunter 454 Casull 6.75”
Ravin R26 Crossbow

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Bifocal Lenses

Post by JEBar » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:04 am

the glasses I have right now are bifocals .... all of the ones I wore during the prior 60 some years were trifocals .... for you to continue using open sights, I believe you are on the right track considering going to a high visibility front sight
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:44 am

I would recommend at least trying a red dot. The advantage of the red dot is that it puts the dot and the target in the same focal plane, meaning you don't have to focus on the dot, separately, from the target. You can focus on both at the same time.

Going to a higher viz front sight may make the front sight stand out more, but does nothing to solve the focusing problem.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:53 am

I ended up scoping my BBS 357 before I knew much, if anything about the red dots. If I were to do it all again, ( which I might in the future ), will probably go red dot.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:57 am

Focus on the front bead and place it where you want it on the fuzzy out of focus target.
That's how I do it.
Not good for scoring well for fine benchrest shooting but works very well for silhouette.
5 x
Pax at Justitia

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:25 pm

Id also try the red dot. You can buy one for about 50.00 off Amazon. Bushnell TRS 25 is a good one to try out. I also like the Sig Romeo. But there a little over 100. The bushnel is a little bigger than the Sig. There are several guys here that have red dots on there leverguns. I have one on my Henry Pump and like it alot.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:40 pm

0 x

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:06 pm

I got bi-focals when I was 45, wasn't much of a problem then. Now I'm 76, with tri-focals, and it's a whole different ball game. I now have a Walther PPS M2 w/ the RSMC red dot factory installed by Walther. It co-witnesses with my Mepro night sights. Using the red dot I only have to put the dot on the target & press the trigger. You just have to adapt with age, altho some folks don't even wear glasses at this age.
I would suggest you at least try a red dot, even try someone else's if possible. If we were closer, you could try mine.
0 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:43 pm

Here is what works for me for most stock rifle sights.
Focus first on the target, you will naturally line the barrel up fairly well with the target. Bring your attention to the rear sight. It will become clear and the front sight will be fuzzy but you can adjust the alignment between It and the front sight.
Refocus on the front sight and check it’s alignment to the now very fuzzy target.
Keep your focus on the front sight and squeeze off the shot.

I also find a green optic fiber front sight works well for me. And a peep rear sight works better than the standard open v type or semi or full buckhorn.
As recommended above red dots make it a lot easier.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:02 pm

I have a pair of shooting glasses that are underpowered so everything beyond 50 feet is not in total focus. This allows me to see the front sight and also see the target clear enough.

I don’t have to see the target perfectly clear. For me it is more important to know where the target is.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater