Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Guy, Older Eyes, Head About to Explode, Have Questions

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: New Guy, Older Eyes, Head About to Explode, Have Questions

Post by PT7 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:02 pm

Interesting option. I didn't even realize Henry offered light pipes for the Big Boy. When I was researching what to put on mine, at that time the only pipe sights available from Henry were for the H001. Probably should look at Henry Pride a little more often!

One thing I did notice, however, on the web page you posted, ESquared. In Henry's description comments they state "Gunsmith installation is recommended." Wonder why they suggest that? Installing them in the standard dovetails should not be that difficult. Maybe it has to do with a fragility factor for the pipes? I've not worked at changing out a light pipe sight before.

Something new to learn every day! ;)
PT7
1 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:52 pm

Well, the HiViz seems worth considering, and, the more I've thought about it and researched it (and thought about it some more), the more I'd like to find a peep-sight solution vs. a scope. I'm buying this rifle for the "old world charm" factor (in part) and, while a scope will make it easier to shoot accurately, I've got to be realistic about my shooting circumstances and habits. As noted in the original post, my chances of taking it hunting are slim to none, but I'd still like to "master it" for target-shooting, at least out to 50 yards.
Look forward to our visit tomorrow!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:26 pm

PT7 wrote: One thing I did notice, however, on the web page you posted, ESquared. In Henry's description comments they state "Gunsmith installation is recommended." Wonder why they suggest that? Installing them in the standard dovetails should not be that difficult. Maybe it has to do with a fragility factor for the pipes? I've not worked at changing out a light pipe sight before.

Something new to learn every day! ;)
PT7
That's a standard liability clause for any gun part on the gun not specifically designed by the gun manufacturer to be user removable or replaceable. It covers them and the parts manufacturer in case you botch the installation job. Some parts should, indeed, be installed by a gunsmith and some can be done without a gunsmith. Really depends on your skill level and experience, tools and so on.

As for the light pipes, I've actually broken them by accidentally dropping the sight on the floor, rather than during installation of the sight. :) Haven't broken a pipe, yet, during installation, but all it takes is one slip ...
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:07 pm

That's a standard liability clause for any gun part on the gun not specifically designed by the gun manufacturer to be user removable or replaceable. It covers them and the parts manufacturer in case you botch the installation job. Some parts should, indeed, be installed by a gunsmith and some can be done without a gunsmith. Really depends on your skill level and experience, tools and so on.
Ya beat me to it NCG but well stated.
I can certainly explain how to do it (sight work) but doing it on your own would be your decision.
I am my own 'gunsmith' and can accomplish nearly any repair I need but only you can decide for yourself with yours.
0 x

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:54 pm

ESquared wrote:Me again.

There seem to be lots of Lyman Globes that start with "17A". There's 17AHB, 17AUG, 17AMI, 17AML.

So sorry to continue to go back and forth, but can you confirm which one is in your picture? I'm guessing it's the "17AML", as that seems to be the only one that's .494". Do I have that right?
No need to be sorry, ESquared - this is what this forum is supposed to do. You have it right 17AML = .494"; 17AHB = .404".
1 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:18 pm

ESquared wrote:Since we're discussing options, has anyone tried the HiViz three-dot set that's on the Henry website? I'm very accustomed to the three-dot sight picture from all my years with handguns.

https://henrypride.com/collections/rifl ... 7840240665

Thoughts and/or opinions?
Well, since you asked, we have a Henry All-Weather 44 Mag BigBoy that is set up with the the HiViz three-dot from the Henry website. We did this just to see how these sights compare to a peep/globe setup.
Henry BigBoy All-Weather 44Mag.JPG
Henry BigBoy All-Weather 44Mag.JPG (272.48 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
In my opinion, they work much better than the original factory buckhorns (especially in low light situations), but I think I still prefer the Skinner rear peep/Lyman Globe setup. We mostly use our Henrys to plink at steel targets/coke cans from 25 yds in good lighting and the Skinner/Lyman setup seems to give the best sight picture for this use. If we were to use this rifle for hunting, the HiViz might be better, but for now we'll probably be changing out the HiViz on this rifle to another Skinner/Lyman setup. I installed the HiViz sights myself - it is an easy job for a do-it-yourselfer with average mechanical ability and a good brass punch.
1 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:47 pm

Lyman Globe setup.
Never used one but I am liking the looks of this Lyman Globe Front setup! Might be next on the list!
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:37 am

Thanks again, Tractortad! My Henry is due at my FFL tomorrow, so all this speculation about how the factory sights will work for me will soon be resolved, but it's also occurred to me that I may have a better than average chance of making out okay with the factory sights. The reason being that I had cataract surgery on my right eye a year ago (I'm right eye dominant), and my sight in that eye is 20/20 at worst. In fact, if I'm going to watch much TV, I do it without glasses. How this enables me to pick up the front sight and how it works for me with the buckhorn is something I'll soon find out.

The thing I've learned about handguns over the years is that they are great platforms for customization - new grips, sights, trigger jobs, controls, it goes on and on. In the case of this Henry, I find myself wanting to leave it as bone stock as possible. Sure, I'll put a nice, possibly unique sling on it, but I'd like to "preserve the heritage" if I can.

We'll soon see!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:12 pm

Enjoyed our "shop" chat today here in the Northland, especially when looking over my two Carbines. Thanks for stopping by, and good to meet you, ESquared! ;)

You mentioned below about putting a "possibly unique sling on it." Back in March, Dahliathemeh posted a thread on a "Home made sling." I thought it was really 8-) cool-looking, and quite unique. You might like to look at it. http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4236

I'll bet you'll have a great time opening up that box with your new Henry tomorrow.....Enjoy!
PT7
ESquared wrote: My Henry is due at my FFL tomorrow, so all this speculation about how the factory sights will work for me will soon be resolved......The thing I've learned about handguns over the years is that they are great platforms for customization - new grips, sights, trigger jobs, controls, it goes on and on. In the case of this Henry, I find myself wanting to leave it as bone stock as possible. Sure, I'll put a nice, possibly unique sling on it, but I'd like to "preserve the heritage" if I can.

We'll soon see!
0 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:51 pm

It was amazing to me how easy it was to pick up the brass bead front through the peep sight. Very clear sight picture out to 40+ yds, right Bob?

Anyway, one step at a time.

Thanks again for the show and tell, Bob.
0 x