Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

skinner sight question

Toolfreak
Tenderfoot
United States of America

skinner sight question

Post by Toolfreak » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:34 pm

I put on the skinner peep on my 30-30 on the receiver and left the stock sight on and it shot extremely high (6-8 inches). Then I had the skinner .650 brass sight installed so when I go to try it out if it shoots low then I file the top and then try again until my shots become on target, is this correct? This is my first rifle I put peeps on and I was just checking with the people who have done this before.
Thanks,
Mike
0 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: skinner sight question

Post by Steve51 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:56 pm

Just remember the word "FORS" in reference to your sights. It means "Front Opposite Rear Same"

If you want the bullet impact to be lower, the front sight must be higher or the rear sight must be lowered.

If you want the bullet impact to be higher, the front sight must be lowered or the rear sight raised.

It is the same for windage - move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet impact to move or move the front sight in the opposite direction that you want the bullet impact to move. Hope this helps.
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:10 pm

Toolfreak wrote:I put on the skinner peep on my 30-30 on the receiver and left the stock sight on and it shot extremely high (6-8 inches). Then I had the skinner .650 brass sight installed so when I go to try it out if it shoots low then I file the top and then try again until my shots become on target, is this correct? This is my first rifle I put peeps on and I was just checking with the people who have done this before.
Thanks,
Mike
You got it.
0 x

.45Steel
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by .45Steel » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:55 pm

That will work. A brain fart along with a little help from my friends got me back on track.
0 x
H010G 45-70
H012 .45 Colt
H001TER .22

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:13 pm

Before you start filing make sure you "lightly" bottom out the Skinner sight. Then raise it at least a full turn or 2. This will give you elevation adjustability.

Just file a little at a time and then shoot it again. Take your time. Getting it right is 1/2 the fun. Once you have the front sight where you want it. you can measure it and have a reference in case you decide to swap to a globe sight or similar. I have a thread in this section on the process.
2 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.