Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Quick detach scopes

Ogur
Wrangler
Sweden

Quick detach scopes

Post by Ogur » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:00 pm

Over here I have to shoot a minimum number of matches per year. We run a club competition, which is mandatory, in 50 m .22 benchrest. This is done so everyone will meet the legal requirements for their license. I have been shooting this competition with my anschutz with diopter. It’s doable, but the targets are hard to see without magnification, so I manage 250/270 out of 300 points. I would like to use my H001 for this competition and want a scope for that. I settled on a Hawke 2-7AO scope for it. Now comes the interesting bit: I participatein more competitions and they do not allow scopes. Just iron sights. I also like to train shooting off hand with and without a scope, so I build up general marksmanship. I was looking into detachable scope setups, but can’t find any that fit the dovetail. Plenty for weaver or picatinny rails, but none for dovetails. Do you know of any that are decent in quality and price? I bought the Henry for 350 euros, so I wouldn’t want to spend more on the sights than on the rifle. I know I won’t be able to properly compete in the internal competition, but would like to push my skills a bit. Also, once I move to Sweden and pick up hunting it is useful to have experience with scopes and such.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Quick detach scopes

Post by Henry88 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:08 pm

Isn't the dovetail rimfire mount intrinsically quick connect?

You may have to get dovetail to weaver/picatinny and quick disconnect from there.

Good Luck Ogur
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:44 pm

Plus one on what Henry88 is saying. I find that a good set of standard 22 rings for a 22 dovetail, such as the Leupolds, Talley and so on will do an adequate job of holding zero. Won't be exactly on the same zero after taking off the scope and putting it back on the dovetail, but usually close enough so that it will only take a few shots to adjust back to your original zero. Just try to position the scope/rings back on to the same point on the dovetail.

Good for you and your offhand shooting, both with and without a scope. Does take practice to use a scope, effectively, from a standing position.
0 x

Ogur
Wrangler
Sweden

Post by Ogur » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:03 am

I didn’t know that! Thanks! Saves me a lot of bother. I will not be switching during shooting sessions, so if it’s close enough to re- zero without too much hassle it’s fine.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:09 am

Glad to help. I do a lot of back and forth switching between iron sights and scopes on my guns. As long as you don't assume that you'll get an exact zero, but get a relatively close zero and that you'll probably need to tweak the adjustments, it's doable.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:45 am

Very doable if returning to the same rifle. Only when you put it on a different firearm will it need a major re-zeroing.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater