Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

new Skinner peeps

kjunman10
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: new Skinner peeps

Post by kjunman10 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:55 am

At age 8 I obviously have bad eyesight and use bifocals. I am getting a Henry HOO1T Frontier for Christmas and wonder what would be the best sight arrangement for the rifle. I have tried semi-buckhorn sights and cannot aim as it is too blurred. I am thinking the Skinner receiver sight might work for me. If so, do I need to change the front sight and if so, what brand and height is used? This question is in case someone had already done this setup.
I also looked into the Williams FP-GR sights. Any comment on them?
Thanks for the assistance!
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:58 am

Welcome to the forum from CT.

You are going to love that new Henry! As for iron sights, I put a Skinner peep on my Big Boy and couldn't be happier with it. Many others here have the same opinion. Good luck and keep us posted.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:01 pm

From what I found it's about 50/50 on whether you will have to replace the front sight with the receiver mount which is why I went with the barrel mount Skinner peep. Also wanted to leave the receiver clear in case I ever decide to mount a scope.

Don't know if they will fit your model but Skinner says "This sight works well on any Henry rifle with a 3/8" Dovetail"

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be by to discuss new front sights.
0 x

kjunman10
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by kjunman10 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:00 pm

At my age, I wear bifocals and find I have a difficult time with the barrel mounted semi-buckhorn sights. I am considering the Skinner receiver mounted sights as I feel I will see better with the sights closer to my eye. Also, I like the fact they are designed to fit the receiver without any work being done to the rifle.
Am I wrong in my assessment of the receiver mount? Will I get a better look with the barrel mounted sights. I know I will have to change the front sight with the receiver mount. If I go with the barrel mount, do you have to change out the front sight.
Any help would certainly be appreciated.
Have a Great Day!
0 x

Nitetrain40
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Nitetrain40 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:49 pm

I like the idea of the skinner receiver sight a lot. However, I dislike not knowing for sure if it will work with my 357 big boy steel. I want to buy one, but why would the company make the sKinner peeps and have a 50/50 chance of working! So if I buy the skinner sight and install it on my henry. I have to take it out and shoot it to determine if I need to change my front sight?? It just sounds wrong. Why would they not make a set. I have read it works, it doesn't work with stock front post, use the Lyman ghost front post, use this hiviz post, buy this post and file it. It sounds like there is not a definitive answer if you purchase the skinner peep sights. I want to buy the product, but for $100, you flip a coin if it will work, or have to spend more on trial and error from the post? Why don't I keep it stock with buck horn sights?!I have a hard time picking it up. I put peep sights on another rifle, but they sold it as a set for my marlin 795 .22lr
0 x

kjunman10
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by kjunman10 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:34 pm

I can only guess that Skinner does not sell the sight at a certain height as one may want it at a certain height depending on what they are shooting at or the distance they shoot at on a regular basis.
I am going to get the Skinner receiver sights then adjust the front sight to my liking which will be to shoot in the 25 to 50 yard range.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:40 pm

I should probably let Andy at Skinner sights explain this, but here goes.

Anytime you put any brand of receiver peep sight on any model of rifle, there is a chance you will have to change out the front sight. Its never 100% guaranteed to work. Maybe 99% in some cases, but you can't guarantee 100%. Two reasons.

One, factory open sights out on the barrel sit at the correct height for the factory supplied front sight (usually). These are a match set designed cover the usual range adjustment needed. The top of the receiver on many guns, however, sits higher than the top of the barrel where the factory open sight sits. To make things more complicated, you still have to add the height the peep sight and that can vary quite a bit with the model and brand of peep sight. When the difference in height between where the peep sight sits on the receiver compared to where the factory open sight sits out on the barrel, there's the potential need to change out the front sight. Sometimes the adjustment range of the peep sight can cover the difference in height, sometimes it can't. Yes, you can do calculations to see if a given peep on a given gun is compatible with a given front sight, assuming you're up to the math. That still won't guarantee a match, though.

The fly in the ointment and the second reason you can't guarantee a given peep will work with a given front sight is individual variations in the way the same exact model of gun model will shoot, one gun out of the box to the next. Some individual guns shoot higher or lower, out of the box than the next gun of the exact same model. In fact, I've had a few guns where even the factory supplied open sight/front sight combination wouldn't work. It happens. Have a Browning 22, right now, where the factory combo isn't working. To use the factory rear sight, I'm going to have to change out the factory front sight. Yes, the factory supplies the rear sight/front sight combo that statistically has the best chance of working, but the factory doesn't do a sight in check. They only test fire for function. If they had to take the time to actually check the sights for proper regulation on each and every gun before it leaves the factory, our guns would cost a lot more.

Even on gun and peep sight combos where I can almost always get away without changing the front sight, there's the oddball gun that keeps it from being a sure thing. A good example is the Marlin 336 and the 94 Winchester in 30-30. I've had almost a dozen of these, over the years, and 98% of the time, adding a Williams 94/36 let's me use the factory front. Have owned a couple these however, where I had to change out the front sight. Just the way it is.

The good news is that changing out a front sight is no big deal and that's a good thing, because I'm not a big fan of the traditional bead front sight supplied on most lever guns, anyway. Have no hesitation changing out the front sight to the type I want, even on guns where the front sight is the correct height.

Whew! Sorry for the long explanation. Hope it helps.
1 x

NoFlyZone
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by NoFlyZone » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:02 pm

Nitetrain40 wrote:I like the idea of the skinner receiver sight a lot. However, I dislike not knowing for sure if it will work with my 357 big boy steel. I want to buy one, but why would the company make the sKinner peeps and have a 50/50 chance of working! So if I buy the skinner sight and install it on my henry. I have to take it out and shoot it to determine if I need to change my front sight?? It just sounds wrong. Why would they not make a set. I have read it works, it doesn't work with stock front post, use the Lyman ghost front post, use this hiviz post, buy this post and file it. It sounds like there is not a definitive answer if you purchase the skinner peep sights. I want to buy the product, but for $100, you flip a coin if it will work, or have to spend more on trial and error from the post? Why don't I keep it stock with buck horn sights?!I have a hard time picking it up. I put peep sights on another rifle, but they sold it as a set for my marlin 795 .22lr
Nitetrain, I know what you're feeling. I have a 357 Big Boy Steel Carbine on order. Once it comes in I plan on going with a Skinner.
I was talking to "Tractortad" a while back by email and he said he is using the Skinner "Low-Pro" On his BBS in 44 mag with good results.
Right now I'm planning on trying it on my .357 when I get it. Its less expensive ($37), he and others have said they didn't need to change the front sight. Here is a link to it.. http://www.skinnersights.com/lo-pro_sight_7.html
At least its a cheaper option to try?

Dale - AZ
1 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:10 pm

North Country Gal wrote: The good news is that changing out a front sight is no big deal and that's a good thing, because I'm not a big fan of the traditional bead front sight supplied on most lever guns, anyway. Have no hesitation changing out the front sight to the type I want, even on guns where the front sight is the correct height.
FWIW, my new barrel mount Skinner peep with the original front sight is just about in the middle of it's adjustment range sighted in to about 30 yards.

I wish I could get a front sight for my Henry like the one I have on my black powder rifle. Once I got the front sight filed down to the right height, local gunsmith fitted a ivory bead. Very nice, really picks up any available light but no glare in direct sunlight. Unfortunately he's no longer in business.

1 x

Nitetrain40
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Nitetrain40 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:35 am

NoFlyZone wrote:
Nitetrain40 wrote:I like the idea of the skinner receiver sight a lot. However, I dislike not knowing for sure if it will work with my 357 big boy steel. I want to buy one, but why would the company make the sKinner peeps and have a 50/50 chance of working! So if I buy the skinner sight and install it on my henry. I have to take it out and shoot it to determine if I need to change my front sight?? It just sounds wrong. Why would they not make a set. I have read it works, it doesn't work with stock front post, use the Lyman ghost front post, use this hiviz post, buy this post and file it. It sounds like there is not a definitive answer if you purchase the skinner peep sights. I want to buy the product, but for $100, you flip a coin if it will work, or have to spend more on trial and error from the post? Why don't I keep it stock with buck horn sights?!I have a hard time picking it up. I put peep sights on another rifle, but they sold it as a set for my marlin 795 .22lr
Nitetrain, I know what you're feeling. I have a 357 Big Boy Steel Carbine on order. Once it comes in I plan on going with a Skinner.
I was talking to "Tractortad" a while back by email and he said he is using the Skinner "Low-Pro" On his BBS in 44 mag with good results.
Right now I'm planning on trying it on my .357 when I get it. Its less expensive ($37), he and others have said they didn't need to change the front sight. Here is a link to it.. http://www.skinnersights.com/lo-pro_sight_7.html
At least its a cheaper option to try?

Dale - AZ
Nice idea, wonder which one he put on his 44 mag, I followed the link, it has two options, marlin, and most other rifles. I might have to call
0 x