Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

new Skinner peeps

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: new Skinner peeps

Post by dave77 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:07 pm

So you're saying to just put the front sight on your target and not worry about it's location in the peep as long as you can see it? Does it matter what size the peep is, I just got the medium sized one it comes with from Skinner.

Interesting, I'll give it a try this weekend when I'm sighting mine in. I've never really used peep sights before, I have them on my AR but I put a red dot on it right after getting it.
0 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:50 pm

I believe the peep makes the eye naturally center itself. It's an instinctive thing, to look right through the center.
A large peep allows for a larger error than a smaller peephole, so the smaller peeps are called target peeps, but for hunting moving targets like boars, for instance, it is easier to follow game and draw a bead with the larger, brighter, open peep.
I used to have peeps on a Marlin .357 Cowboy, and at evening or in the shade the smaller peep made the view become dark and hazy. It's a trade-off, big for fast shooting, small for pinpoint accuracy.
But the eye centers itself.
Hope this helps!
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:49 am

Conax is absolutely right. The size of the peep makes a difference. When the inside of the peep hole gets dark and fuzzy around the edges, you need to go to a larger aperture (hole size). Too small can also work against accuracy by cutting down on target clarity. He's also spot on when he says the eye automatically seeks the brightest part of the view though the peep, namely, the center. That's why you're working against yourself by consciously trying to center the front sight in the rear sight. Don't do it.

The ".125 aperture that Skinner suppose with the barrel mount is about right for most shooting conditions, but, remember, you can always go "ghost sight" in very dark conditions - remove the aperture from any peep sight and just use the ring that holds it as your aperture
3 x

steelersfan97
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by steelersfan97 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:23 pm

I have been considering putting the barrel mounted peep sight on my Big Boy in .357, but as of right now, I am not having any problem with the factory sights. I also don't really want to have to modify the front sight, which I don't think is an issue with the barrel mounted peep sight.
0 x
H006M, H015-223

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:41 am

Got out to try the Skinner peeps today, I like them. Front sight does seem more focused and I also have a problem in that I can't shut just my left eye so shooting right-handed I have to keep both eyes open, the peep sight makes it a lot easier to ignore my left eye vision.

You're right about not trying to center the front sight in the peep, it is almost automatic.

At my current home range my max distance is about 30 yards so didn't take long to sight it in, my gun rest isn't the best and I just had it on the hood of my truck and I felt myself pull the 2 shots out of the red so I was happy.

Still need some practice on my offhand shooting.

I really need to get ambitious next Spring and set up a new range. I have a small piece of land a little further up the road. It's at the edge of a cherry orchard and have to go to go through a locked gate to get to it so I could leave some steel targets up and not have to worry about them disappearing. I could probably get about 50 to 75 yds and would be shooting directly into a hillside so no worries about a backstop.
1 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:54 am

"and I felt myself pull the 2 shots out of the red so I was happy."
Long time older shooters call their flyers. As the hammer drops I already know whether it will be in with the rest or one of those that just have a mind of their own. That's real good shootin you did there, Dave.
Offhand is never as easy as off a benchrest. A little more practice and you'll be called Deadeye Dave.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:40 am

Good for you. Glad you liked the Skinner. Have been using Skinner barrel mounts for years, now, and love them. That's some good shooting, too. Keep it up.
0 x

alanmckean
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by alanmckean » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:58 pm

I have the sight on my Golden Boy and took it to the range for some 50' shooting. Groups were okay ... 2.5"-3" or so from standing. I still find that I need to shoot left-handed so that my left eye can bring the front sight into clear focus. The peep sight is much better than the buckhorn for my vision, especially in the low light at this particular range. I guess I'll break down and get some glasses designed to bring the front sight into focus when shooting right handed. Why is it that I should not try to center the front sight bead in the peep sight? It seems like it would be more accurate if it were centered in the peep sight.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:44 pm

That seemed not logical to me also, not having really shot with peep sights before but it seemed to work for me that if I didn't really think about it and just looked through the peep my eye kind of automatically centered the front sight.

If your eye puts the front sight in the peep the same every time it doesn't really matter if it's exactly centered.
0 x

cruzerbotz
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by cruzerbotz » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:18 pm

Finally got a pic.....
IMG_2133.JPG
IMG_2133.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 1205 times
1 x