Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Changing sights to help older eyes

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Changing sights to help older eyes

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:11 pm

Using a smaller aperture will also sharpen your focus on the target.
Even with your glasses on.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Nitetrain40
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Nitetrain40 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:46 am

So I bought the Skinner express receiver set up for my henry big boy steel, in .357. It seems like therecis,never a definitive answer on the front post. Will the stock post work?? Skinner says 50/50 chance! Well that makes no sense to me at all. Either it works or does not. So I looked into the Lyman front globe set up. Commentscsre they work great...However, I'm reading conflicting posts on the size to use...i read that the .494 Lyman works great, then I read the. 584 sight height works great! To me thats a big difference in front post height to say they both work great. So I'm stuck decided on which one is REALLY THE BEST HEIGHT, to use. Help please!!!
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:55 am

Google ''rifle sight height calculator' and
See what you come up with.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:48 am

Nitetrain, I know it can be frustrating, but hang in, there. We've all had to deal with this issue first time out when changing sights. There's just no way anyone can give you a 100% guaranteed answer.

Let's start just with the gun. Some factory guns shoot higher and some shoot lower than the average for the same exact model, right out of the box with the sights set the same. That can't be avoided with mass produced guns. The factory sight combos the manufacturers supply on their guns when they leave the factory are designed to cover this range in variation and, for the most part, they do, but even on a factory gun, you can get an individual gun that shoots too high to too low for even the factory sights to handle. It's rare, but I've had several of these, right out of the box. Even with guns that fall in that average range for where they shoot, however, there is still going to be some variation, one gun to the next. One may shoot a touch higher, one a touch lower. And that's just the guns.

When you add in all the different types of ammo that shooters will use in a gun and then add in all the various distances the guns will be shot, the correct height sight calculations get even more fuzzy. When Skinner or another shooter says you'll have to try and see what works for your individual gun, they are not being evasive, then. Just a fact of life when you deviate from the factory sights.

Since a receiver peep sight will typically sit higher over the bore than factory open sight, you'll most likely encounter a problem with the gun still shooting too high with the peep at it's lowest setting. The cure for this is a taller front sight. One option I would suggest is to shoot your gun with the load you want, using your preferred sight picture, at the typical distance you'll be shooting, using the Skinner peep and the factory front sight. That will give you some good feedback, right away. Two or three shots is all you'll need. Can save you a ton of guessing and ordering the wrong size on a front sight. For instance, if you're still shooting a couple inches high with the Skinner at its lowest setting, then order a globe sight a couple sizes up over the height of the factory front. A more precise option is to replace the factory front with an extra tall blade front and file down as needed till you get the right height. That's the height to get, then, for your globe sight.

Lot's of folks here to help, so shoot a few with the Skinner/factory front combo and let us know.
2 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:49 pm

If you're really not sure, it's usually safer to go with the higher front sight. You can always file it down if it's too high, but you can't easily raise it if it's too low. ;)
1 x

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:53 pm

We have the Skinner "Express" receiver peep paired with a .494" Lyman 17A Globe front on our BBB 357Mag and our BBB 44Mag Henry and they work well with both rifles sighted in at 25 yds, but I don't know for sure if your BBS357 has the same receiver/front barrel height difference as a BBB357. You might want to try a temporary height addition (i.e. folded black electrician tape over the brass bead) to sight the rifle in at the distance you want (with the skinner peep in its lowest position), measure the front sight height with that temporary addition, and then match that with the next highest Lyman Globe to get the proper Lyman Globe for your application.
0 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:59 pm

You can always file it down if it's too high,
Providing it’s a blade style front and not a gold or white bead.
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:29 pm

Yeah, I filed the bead right off of the original Henry sight. It is now a blade site that works well with my low pro receiver peep
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Nitetrain40
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Nitetrain40 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:35 pm

tractortad wrote:We have the Skinner "Express" receiver peep paired with a .494" Lyman 17A Globe front on our BBB 357Mag and our BBB 44Mag Henry and they work well with both rifles sighted in at 25 yds, but I don't know for sure if your BBS357 has the same receiver/front barrel height difference as a BBB357. You might want to try a temporary height addition (i.e. folded black electrician tape over the brass bead) to sight the rifle in at the distance you want (with the skinner peep in its lowest position), measure the front sight height with that temporary addition, and then match that with the next highest Lyman Globe to get the proper Lyman Globe for your application.
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna try some rounds this weekend. See how it goes
0 x

Nitetrain40
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Nitetrain40 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:00 pm

Les wrote:If you're really not sure, it's usually safer to go with the higher front sight. You can always file it down if it's too high, but you can't easily raise it if it's too low. ;)
Can't file down the Lymann globe front post....
0 x