Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Changing sights to help older eyes

kjunman10
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Changing sights to help older eyes

Post by kjunman10 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:08 am

I don't want to go through the expense of a tang sight for my Henry Frontier so would like a suggestion on a peep sight for that gun. Skinner makes a groove receiver which I am thinking about as it does not need to be drilled and tapped. Does anyone have suggestions on it and if so, what front sight is used as they recommend a higher front sight? Also, somewhere I read that while using that peep sight you don't have to center on the peep just align the front sight on the target and ready to so. Is that correct?
I want to keep this rifle as close to original but want to be able to see what I am shooting at.
By the way, whoever owns that Sharps rifle, you have the rifle of my dreams.
Thank ya'll for any assistance!!!
0 x

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:05 pm

I've got the Skinner rimfire rear peep sight(mounts on the grooves) on my 24" Frontier with a .494" Lyman Globe on the front - works real good for me and my old eyes....
0 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:11 pm

Can't help you on the Henry specific questions, but, yes, as far as how to use a peep sight. On all peep sights, regardless of type, you look though the peep and then forget about it, only concentrating and focusing on the front sight. Your eye automatically seeks the center of the peep sight if you do this. DO NOT make any conscious effort to center the front sight in the peep sight hole.

There are two advantages gained, here. The first is potential sharpening of the front sight/target, depending on the size of the aperture (hole in the peep) and distance of the peep from the eye (the closer the peep to the eye, the better, hence the advantage of tang peeps). Because of differences in our vision, of course, this can vary from one shooter to the next. No guarantees, here. One of those things you have to try and experiment with.

The second is a sight picture that consists of ONLY the front sight and the target and this one IS guaranteed, no matter the type of peep or distance from the eye. In other words, a peep takes the rear sight out of the sight picture, completely. You see only a front sight and the target. For us oldsters, this one is a biggie, since it's the rear open sight on a rifle that is the hardest for us to see, sharply, due to the fact that it is actually too close to our eye.

You can use any type of front sight with a peep. There's no peep sight specific requirement. I much prefer either a blade front or a globe front for target work, but bead front sights are more traditional on lever guns and for hunting, fiber optic front sights are popular for their visibility, especially in low light. Not very traditional, but they do work.
2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:11 pm

I saw an 1860 Henry with the rear ladder sight replaced with a Skinner peep sight. It didn't look half bad. Would take some getting used to, but better than wasting ammo downrange if you're struggling. Might end up on my Henry some day.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

CLA
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by CLA » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:32 pm

Timely discussion... I just bought a Golden Boy and as soon as I picked it up and looked through the sights at the gun shop, I knew they had to go... not compatible with these 65 year old eyes.

I've been looking at the Marples "Bullseye" peep sight and the Skinner sights. I've never used a peep sight before, so I ordered the less expensive of the two and got the Marples for about $13 to try them out.

I wear progressive lens tri-focals, they haven't worked too well with any iron sights period, I'm hoping it's different with the peep sight... my other thought is to have a set of glasses made up that will work just for using iron sights.

Optics will be my last resort, wanting to stay with the traditional look.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:21 am

I put the skinner sights on my 357 Carbine, and the group shrunk dramatically. Easy to install as well.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:38 am

I have Williams fp gr w/tar knob peep sights on my three Henry Octagon rimfires. I've added a gib lock knob on all of them
They are adjustable and the settings are repeatable.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:47 pm

I've got Skinner peeps and Lyman globe fronts sights on all my Henry's. Love them.

The Marbles Bullseye sight is an inexpensive sight and an easy replacement for the factory buckhorn. I had one for a while on my Golden Boy. it is a big improvement over the buckhorn in my opinion. But it is too far from the eye and being black it gets lost when shooting it in dappled sunlight or in the woods. Not bad for the money but no where near the quality of sight and sight picture you get with a Skinner on the receiver.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:03 pm

I’ve been wearing glasses for nearsightedness since 1968. For the last 5 or 6 years, however, I have been shooting 3-5 times a week. I think that if anything, my vision has gotten better during that time.

I find that peep sights work really well. So do patridge style “target” sights. The latter work best using a 6 o’clock hold. Practice, practice, practice. Oh, and also have good teachers like North Country Gal.
1 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:06 pm

Just a note on glasses. I too wear progressives and love them. But they have a small window for distance vision and it can be hard to line up through the sights. Years ago I had a 2nd pair of glasses made as a backup that were regular bifocals. Never wore them. I couldn't walk down the hall without tripping and getting dizzy from the line. I rediscovered I had these not long ago and took them to the range. They work great for me shooting at the bench.

Once you get good sights you might also try shooting without your prescription glasses. Sometime that can work well. Peep sights sorta work as a lens. I know at 100 yds plus I can see where I hit if I look at the target through the sights. But not if I just look at the target downrange. Kinda weird but it does work.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.