Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Single shot sight options

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Single shot sight options

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:55 pm

Good news that the Henry SSs are starting to show up. That's encouraging. We were out of town, earlier this week, and stopped in at a shop that is the Henry dealer for our region, but they still hadn't received any. Said a lot of folks were asking for them.

Also, thanks for the info the scope base. I'm sure a lot of folks will find it very useful. I do hope that Skinner will make a specialty sight and base combo for the new single shot. Knowing Skinner, I suspect it will just be a matter of time.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:42 pm

I did get a response from Skinner, but we're still measuring. I measured 11/64 from the center of the rearmost plug screw to the face of the receiver, Andy says it's about 0.20 from the center of the mounting screw hole to the edge of the sight. We're talking a whisker the wrong way, here. I offered to try an "empty" base, if he'd like me to; I'm reluctant to order a sight that I'd either have to modify or return. I don't mind messing with a scope base, since it'll be invisible anyway, and I won't have as much invested if there's a boo boo :) . None of this will be an issue when manufacturers start producing products specifically for the Henry, right now we're using NEF/H&R products that, in some cases, don't quite match up. I asked again for the peep sight/scope base combo, too ;) .
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:02 pm

Good work. Keep it up.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:21 am

Skinner sights will be checking with Henry to verify the location of the sight/scope base mounting screws, to make sure there's not an issue. I expect that Andy will let me know, when he's confirmed the precise dimension. Meanwhile, I think I'll start filing on my scope base ;) .
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:04 pm

Well, in keeping the updates going, I can report filing the Warne 981M base to fit the Henry Single Shot worked just fine. It took only an hour or so of actual filing (along with a little spotting with Prussian Blue toward the end), split up into 15 minute increments to eliminate the dreaded hurry up and get it finished catastrophe ;). It works out that if you flatten the bottom of the base to just past the radius arc for the barrel on the rearmost 0.28 inch (nominally) of the base, there'll be a paper thin space above the receiver, and about the same in front of the receiver, where it steps down to the barrel. I also played a little with scopes (2.75X Burris and 2.75X Redfield) and rings before I started, and it looks like Burris Low Z-Rings (which I have on hand) might work with a hammer extender, Medium might be better, though. I want the scope to be as low as I can get it. It I can't get it low enough, then a Skinner peep it'll be :).
0 x