Post by Hospitaler » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:32 am

I can't even see the front sight.
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Iron Sights: Back on the Soapbox

Post by ditto1958 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:31 pm

Hospitaler wrote:I can't even see the front sight.
It's that little black thing sticking up from the end of your barrel... :)
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:33 pm

ditto1958 wrote:
Hospitaler wrote:I can't even see the front sight.
It's that little black thing sticking up from the end of your barrel... :)
Depending on the barrel, that just might be a straw! :lol:
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

rwortman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by rwortman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:26 pm

Deteriorating eyesight is a real thing that happens as we age. I can't shoot a pistol as well as I used to simply because I can't see the sights as clearly. The aperture sight I have on my Henry 22WMR works pretty well. However, the 1/16" post on the front sight covers about a 9" circle at 100 yards. That would make placing a shot on a small critter pretty difficult with young eyes and mine aren't. A 9" circle covers up most .22 sized critters. This limits things to around 50 yards without a scope. I am OK with that. The gun would look wrong with all those replica design cues and a modern scope and vintage scope replicas are too expensive. I put a compact scope on my BBS because someday I may hunt with it and I just wanted better precision at long range.
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:46 pm

For moa shooting I'll need a good scope every time. Shooting minute of chicken or even ram, peep sights are more fun.
I've been spotting for a friend shooting his black powder single shots on the 500 yard range. Along side him I've been shooting my 45-70 using cast lead bullets out to 500 yards. It's amazing what a good spotter can help you shoot. Again I'm talking hits anywhere on a 10-12 moa target.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ditchparrot » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:35 am

I own only one rifle with a scope, a .30-06, and it has only one purpose – shooting at big game at distances greater than 100 yards. I'm hesitant to say "never" about anything, but the chances that I'll ever put a scope on any of my Henry's are extremely slim.

My competition shooting is all done with shotguns at flying clay targets. I shoot rifles for enjoyment (and I put hunting in that category).

For me, iron sights are simply more enjoyable.
1 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410
Henry Big Boy Revolver .357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:43 am

RanchRoper wrote:When they clear out at the range and call me Mr. Magoo I guess I'll change to a scope.
Nah it wont happen RR but they might call you the old troubador like in the George Stait song.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

kjunman10
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by kjunman10 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:37 am

I believe that when one gets to be 80 years of age he has the right to complain about "Old Eyes" so I see no reason for it to be a pet peeve of anyone. At some time in life adjustments have to be made for failing eyesight Even with my Old Eyes I continue to shoot with iron sights on my lever guns. I am having a problem now with the buckhorn sights and looking into peep sights to help my shooting. I will not go to shooting targets with a scope as I don't feel good target shooting should be done with one. When you can get good groups with iron sights at some distance then you have something to talk about, brag if you want to.
I don't complain about my failing eyesight, I only mention it when seeking assistance in setting up my rifles with an alternative to the buckhorn sights which I seem to have problem with especially on my Henry Frontier.
Ya'll have a Good Day!
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:03 am

as noted in an earlier post in this thread, not any degree of soapbox issue for me and, frankly, I find it somewhat mystifying that so many folks find it to be one .... I have firearms with a range of sights ... I've worn glasses since before I went to first grade and I'll soon turn 71 .... I've worn trifocals for decades and don't foresee that changing .... I don't hunt from a Texas type tower stand overlooking a field that is literally a square mile in size without a scope .... I don't hunt in woods where a 20 yard shot is the norm with scope on my rifle .... my personal preferences are mine .... other folks personal preferences are theirs .... when I go to a range, I carry what I want to carry and shoot what I want to shoot .... in short, I believe others have the right to make their own choices and its none of my business what they use .... I also believe the converse of that is also true
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:34 pm

As my eyes get worse I think bigger bullets is the answer. :)
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully