Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Iron Sights: Back on the Soapbox

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Iron Sights: Back on the Soapbox

Post by ditto1958 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:22 pm

As some may be aware, I am a huge proponent of shooting with iron sights. One of my biggest pet peeves is hearing shooters complain about their "old eyes," or "bad eyes." These days, no one seems to think they can shoot anything without the latest, biggest and most expensive optics on their guns.

Anyways, today at the range, a young guy, likely in his 30's, was shooting an AR-15, a real basic M-4 with a carry handle. He was shooting at, and hitting, some largish steel gongs at 100 yards, so he decided to try some harder ones. He hit a smaller, maybe 10 inch steel swinger, and attracted my attention when his reaction was one of surprise that he was able to shoot it with iron sights. I got his attention, and told him to shoot at the steel "hockey puck" that was hanging next to the 10 incher. At first he didn't see it, as the paint had been shot off of it, but he looked through the spotting scope and saw it. He came back to the bench and hit it on his third try. He was not only happy as a pig in mud, but also very surprised at what he had succeeded in doing with his rifle.

Now, this is on the one hand a positive thing, because this shooter was clearly having a very enjoyable shooting experience at the range, and improved his shooting skills.

On the other hand, I got to thinking: why are so many shooters- even experienced ones- so often surprised at what firearms can do? The guy at the range? He was no novice- he is a dealer with an ffl. Yet, at least until now, he had little understanding of how well he was capable of shooting without a scope. Me? I remember when I was younger watching movies like Sgt. York, where Gary Cooper is at the range, and all of his shots go through one hole in the target. Maybe people younger than I am never got exposed to much of that. America has a long heritage of marksmanship, but I fear it may be dying.
6 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Iron Sights: Back on the Soapbox

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:29 pm

I'm with you. I will use iron sights as long as I possibly can. I am trying to become proficient with them. I like the tradition, the historic significance, the old west feel, and the satisfaction of being able to hit what I'm aiming at as they did in the old days. I get the purpose of peeps, etc and may use them some day, but for now I will challenge myself as long as I possibly can.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:29 pm

a choice of rifle sights really isn't any degree of soapbox issue for me .... I have rifles with buckhorn sights, rifles with scopes, a rifle with a peep sight .... I honestly don't care what anyone else uses, I tend to use what serves me best and I enjoy the most ....
4 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:59 pm

Well put.
0 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:12 pm

I still use both. However, there are days when the only way I can get the accuracy I want is with a scope. It's just that simple. Scopes takes fuzzy and blurry iron sights out of the equation for me and that's not just an age thing, it's also a chronic allergy thing. Allergies can definitely affect my vision. I also have to deal with mostly cloudy days and shooting targets in the shadows and shade or against a brushy background. That's when iron sights really suffer for target work. There's just no escaping the fact that my average scores and group sizes over the long run are better with a scope, even for offhand shooting, and I have the targets to prove it. Takes a lot of experience using scopes for offhand work, by the way. Nothing easy about it, but the effort has been worth it for my shooting.

Also, scopes are traditional. They've been around at least as long as lever guns. Maybe not as traditional as iron sights, but they do have a lot of history behind them.

On the other hand, there are days when conditions are just right for iron sights and I can do work that compares to a scope. Not a lot of days, mind you, but I do take advantage of them when I can. There are also days when I just feel like shooting iron. There are also some types of guns where iron sights are the only practical way to go. Yes, I think too many of us oldsters are a bit hasty in writing off iron sights and hurrying to scope our guns, but I can't blame anyone for wanting to make the most of precious range time by choosing to go with a scope or even a red dot. After all, it's a lot more fun to hit the target than miss it. :)

All in all, I just don't see this as an either/or thing. Every type of sight has its good and bad. Good to have choices, though. Glad I do.
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Mon May 01, 2017 2:25 am

I have recently started using aperture/peep sights on my target rifles. The last time I used peep sights was when I was a teenager, shooting a BSA Martini .22 Mk1.

Up until my late 20's, I could still use iron/open sights quite easily, but gradually the sight picture just became a blur, so I switched to using scopes, and I used them exclusively until a couple of months ago.

I bought a Skinner sight for my H003T, and I get on quite well with it, but the real clincher was when I tried a friends target rifle wearing peep sights. I was amazed at how well I could still see the target, and how accurately I could shoot with it. I thought my 'marksman' [ :roll: ] days were well and truly behind me, but as a result, I have purchased a full set of target sights for my Anschutz and Vostok target rifles.

All I need to do now is practice! I'll never be a teenager again, but I can sure feel like one! :lol:
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:30 pm

Les, you never have to stop being a teenager! :)
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Tue May 02, 2017 1:31 am

ditto1958 wrote:Les, you never have to stop being a teenager! :)
Yep, growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional! ;)
0 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Tue May 02, 2017 7:25 am

I own only one scope and that is a non-magnified Aimpoint red dot. I purchased it 2 1/2 years ago. I love it, but it is mounted on one of my ARs that I rarely shoot. Its primary purpose is as a night site. Maybe someday I'll buy a scope with magnification for a specific rifle or handgun, but irons are more fun.

But, it has gotten harder to get a perfect sight picture particularly when lighting is not perfect. One day at the 100 yard range my can of orange spray paint ran out. The only can I had left was black. Unfortunately the berm behind my 12" plate was also quite black. All I could see were the chromed steel chains the plate was hanging from. Couldn't see my black shepherds hooks either. I could kind of triangulate and follow the chains and estimate the center of the gong. I hit it each time, but not with precision of course.

I am still testing a few loads out of my Big Boy to determine which bullet and which powder charge is most accurate. Hopefully, I'll figure that out this weekend. Once I do, I'll adjust one of the tabs on the elevator for 50 yards. Then, I plan to take it over to the 100 yard range and adjust the next tab up on the elevator by filing it gradually until my point of aim is either right on or slightly high, no more than 2". 2" high or slightly less would be perfect for shooting clay pigeons since I could use a 6 o'clock hold.
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue May 02, 2017 9:06 am

When they clear out at the range and call me Mr. Magoo I guess I'll change to a scope.
5 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C