Post by North Country Gal » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:49 pm

Bigger targets sure help, too. :)
3 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Iron Sights: Back on the Soapbox

Post by ditto1958 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:32 pm

Good advice here. I think if ya combine bigger targets with fatter boolits, AND get closer to the targets, success will be unavoidable.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:43 pm

Coffee can size casings...
3 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

oldxtreme
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Sighting in the standard Iron on my new 22 Henry

Post by oldxtreme » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:53 am

Well I got a Henry 22LR the other day and what a disappointment!

Beautiful workmanship, fun to shoot BUT I feel like an 8 year old running around with a stick going "Bang..Bang!! NO AMMO TO BE HAD!!

The store that I bought the gun from would only sell me one box of 50, only after I said to write me up! He went to a secret cabinet and pulled out one box and said that he could not sell me two unless I bought two guns! Seems like no one has 22 LR.

So with only 50 rounds, I don't have much ammo to sight in this gun. Right now, I am sighting in the iron sights that come on the gun but need advise on quickly sighting in the buck horn system. I have already put 25 or 30 rounds down range just having fun.

First, should the front blade bead be at the top on the buck horn, centered like pistol sights or down at the bottom of the horn?

Second, what are the elevation values on the ramp of the rear sight? Are they 25 yards a bump or something else? Shooting at 50 yards, where should I have the initial ramp set?

If I had more rounds, I could plink away until I got it figured out, but with about 20 LR left, I need some advice.

Anyone have a good source for 22LR, mail order or in NE Ohio?

Thanks all.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:49 pm

If I can’t use a scope does that mean I have to take my glasses off too. :lol:
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:57 pm

oldxtreme wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:53 am

Beautiful workmanship, fun to shoot BUT I feel like an 8 year old running around with a stick going "Bang..Bang!! NO AMMO TO BE HAD!!

The store that I bought the gun from would only sell me one box of 50, only after I said to write me up! He went to a secret cabinet and pulled out one box and said that he could not sell me two unless I bought two guns! Seems like no one has 22 LR.

So with only 50 rounds, I don't have much ammo to sight in this gun. Right now, I am sighting in the iron sights that come on the gun but need advise on quickly sighting in the buck horn system. I have already put 25 or 30 rounds down range just having fun.

First, should the front blade bead be at the top on the buck horn, centered like pistol sights or down at the bottom of the horn?

Second, what are the elevation values on the ramp of the rear sight? Are they 25 yards a bump or something else? Shooting at 50 yards, where should I have the initial ramp set?

If I had more rounds, I could plink away until I got it figured out, but with about 20 LR left, I need some advice.

Anyone have a good source for 22LR, mail order or in NE Ohio?

Thanks all.
Welcome to the forum. At 50 yards I generally start out at the halfway point on the ramp. As far as sight picture goes I like the buckhorn to be at the bottom so I get a better view of the target. I know people that use the top and adjust from there.

The most important thing is to be consistent.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:43 pm

oldxtreme wrote:

Welcome to the forum from CT. Congratulations on your new Henry.

The very same thing happened to me. I came late to the shooting sports, getting my first CT permit at the end of 2013 and buying my first firearm, a Henry H001, in Spring of 2014. I didn't know it at the time, but ammunition was scarce then, too; especially 22 LRs, and like you, I had a beautiful new gun that I couldn't shoot.

In 2014, there was a website that tracked Walmart's daily ammunition inventories by the store location. I checked it every morning and when it showed that my local store had some, I jumped on it. Sometimes, it was still available and I would buy my limit. Most times, it was gone by the time I got there. But, over the next few years, I just kept buying it whenever I could.

Eventually, Walmart eliminated ammunition from their online inventories and that website vanished, but I won't need to buy any more for the rest of my old life. :)
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:14 pm

Welcome to the forum. I use the method Sir Henry does placing the lined up sight at the 6oclock position of the target. I like to see the entire target. There is rimfire ammo for sale out there but the price is goin to reflect the demand. If you go to Ammo Seek you will find some. But at .24 cents a round for 22 it wouldnt be my choice. I understand shooting the new gun but I think eventually things will change
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:41 pm

Welcome. And, I can understand about the ammo situation. As far as sight picture, I like the 6 o'clock as well. I use it out to 100 yards also. I able to get a more consistent picture.

images.jpg
images.jpg (9.44 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

gpraceman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by gpraceman » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:06 pm

oldxtreme wrote:

I've had luck lately finding some 22LR by stopping into Murdoch's or Sportsman's just as they open. Hit and miss, of course.

I have also seen some pop up on the "in-stock-notifications" channel on the Reloading discord. They also have state channels and people often post when they find components or ammo locally.
0 x
Big Boy Case Hardened Rifle in 357 Magnum/38 Special
1977 Marlin 60 "Pesky Squirrel"