Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Nikon M-308 and BDC Reticles

Pottsy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Nikon M-308 and BDC Reticles

Post by Pottsy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:58 pm

Some people like the BDC reticles, some don't. I just picked up a M-308 for my long ranger and it's seems excellent. The low light transmission is excellent. I also have their rimfire BDC scope and it is super helpful when. Shooting long range shots (100yd plus with my .22).

When I got my new scope I went to check the price of Nikons Spot On app which you use to determine the coordinating distances for the points on the BDC reticle for the load you are firing. It used to be $5 but it was now free in the App Store, for anyone that didn't know. I never wanted to pay the $5 so I used to print out field guides but now I have it right on my phone. And if you think you will t have cell reception where you'll be shooting, check the Spot On app before you head out and take a screen shot. The only issue with that is, you won't be able to enter your wind and elevation calculations at the time of your shot. For newer long range shooters it's really helpful learning the characteristics of your caliber, and in my opinion makes for safer shooters. It takes years of practice, and some potentially dangerous or risky shots to "learn" how much a round is going to drop (e.g. People shooting over berms at the range because they miscalculated their drop).

Anyone else using Nikon BDC scopes?
0 x

ssonb
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Nikon M-308 and BDC Reticles

Post by ssonb » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:19 pm

Yep, I have two at the moment and one more on order...One on a Ruger 308, one on a AR but this one has the rapid action turret for out to 600 yards. The one on order is one of the VX series that is set up for a black powder rifle with the ballistics close to the performance of a 45-70. Using the Spot on I can set the printout to the ballistics of the load in the rifle, I print the info and transfer the data onto a 3x5 card laminate it and store the card inside the ammo box that the data matches. I love the clarity of the Nikon glass and the Spot on is adaptable enuf to tweek the data for all of my experimentation with loads.
1 x

Pottsy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Pottsy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:28 pm

Nice! I agree, I've compared the glass to more expensive scopes and I'm really impressed by the Nikons light transmission, even on my cheaper rimfire version. That's a cool idea about the print outs. Check out the app, it was free for me if you don't have it. Nice to be able to enter wind and other metrics in the field.
0 x

Pottsy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Pottsy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:45 pm

SO I am really struggling with the mounting of this scope on my Henry. Using medium 1" Warne split rings, and the included Skinner scope mount bases, I have mounted this scope twice now, and both times, my scope requires a ludicrous amount of adjustment to get it true. The second time I used a bore laser to try and get the scope more centered before I tightened everything down, but no matter what I tried once I get to where the rings are really tightening down on the scope it starts to move off center and cannot be corrected. I have never experienced this before and I am worried the drilled and tapped received could be the issue; e.g. the holes are not aligned properly. TO give you an idea, this scope has adjustments from 0 - 18 with ten clicks for each increment, and I literally needed to go full circle for the L to R movement to align the reticle.

However, this is my first time using Warne rings, and I am highly considering trying different rings to see if they are the culprit, but I have always been told Warne rings are the best.

Anyone ever deal with this issue with Warne rings before? I really don't ever have to adjust more than a few clicks in either direction when I typically mount a scope. I even tried mounting the rings facing the other direction to see if it made a difference but it did not.

I should add, these are supposed to be 0 MOA rings.
0 x

bdbrown66
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by bdbrown66 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:37 am

Are you using a 1-piece base? If so, I would try a different set of rings, to eliminate that possibility. If that doesn't solve it then most likely it is the D&T that is out of alignment. Assuming that you are doing everything correctly, of course. I've had good luck with the Weaver Quad Lock rings; not expensive, but seem to hold very well, including on my .45-70.

If you are using a 2-piece base, that can be difficult to get them aligned precisely.
1 x

ssonb
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by ssonb » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:55 am

I used the Weaver 63B one piece scope rail on my 45-70 for a Nikon XR 300 BDC this weekend and weaver mid height rings .I had no movement or alignment problems with the initial scope bore sight,(laser and pull the bolt to eyeball down the bore to a yardstick mounted on a wall 12 feet away) ...Now I fully expect to be at least a foot off at 50 yrds on the target this weekend but that is easily fixed. Like bb66 said I like to use one piece bases.
0 x

ssonb
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by ssonb » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:57 pm

Update on the 300 bdc Nikon..It was not far off when mounted about 8''. AT A 75 yard range the impact point was adjusted to print about 2'' high for a 100 yard 0,,Now according to the Spot on program at 6x the crosshair will be 100 yards the first BDC will be right at 125 the next 150 next 200, 250 then the post top 300 this is using 45-70 405 gr with a velocity of 1300 fps. I have yet to set up a range to test if this is correct for my rifle, I cant have all the fun at once.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:57 pm

Foe whatever it's worth, Millett makes a version of rings that tighten from both sides, so they're better able to maintain the centering of the scope reticle if something's off a bit. Having said that, I have only rarely used them, don't have any on anything at the moment. And there are other rings with similar capabilities, Millett comes to mind first.
0 x