Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Too much scope?

Post by Luv the lever » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:44 am

Sumaru wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:23 pm
Luv the lever wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:47 pm
50mm seems large and and optics will require hammer extension install.
After mounting it, I have to agree, it seems too large. Is there any appreciable difference between 40 & 50mm where light gathering and field of view is concerned?
Running with a 3-9 x 30 on a 30-30. Saving a touch with the 30mm let me spend more on quality optics. I didn't but could have, LOL. This is all a new hobby for me and I've been told that accuracy is found mounting closer to the barrel so the easiest way to stay lower was using a smaller scope.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:05 pm

Let me add that field of view is not determined by the size of the objective. A 6x32 scope can have as wide a field of view as a 6x50 scope. My little 10x25 binoculars haver the same field of view as my 10x42 binoculars.

Field of view is a function of two things.

The first is magnification, of course. Most of us understand this. One of the most basic laws of optics states that as magnification goes up, field of view goes down.

The second, though, is not widely understood. It's actually eyepiece design that determined FOV at a given magnification.

Anyway, if you doubt this, just look at a variety of riflescopes, binoculars, spotting scopes and so on and check the specs for field of view, remembering to compare the published figures at the same magnification. For example, the Leupold Freedom 3-9x40 has the exact same field of view at 3 and 9x as the Leupold Freedom 3-9x50 at 3 and 9x because Leupold uses the same eyepiece for both scopes. The 50mm version gets you the advantages (and disadvantages) of a larger objective, but a wider field of view is not something you get by bumping up to the 50.

In the real world, eyepieces in riflescopes are fairly simple designs to keep weight and size reasonable. You won't find a lot of variation between brands and models as far as eyepiece internal lens design. What this means is that FOV in a riflescope will be pretty similar at any given magnification for the various brands. If you need/want a wide field of view in a riflescope, then, you'll have do it via the magnification route of going to a lower magnification. That's why scopes for dangerous game are low power.

Different story in optics like a spotting scope or telescope, however, especially telescopes. Telescope eyepieces are immensely varied in design, field of view, sophistication, size and price. A single wide angle telescope eyepiece can cost much more than even a good riflescope. My best wide angle telescope eyepieces run about $400 each, but there are even more sophisticated eyepieces that cost more than twice that.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:43 am

^^^^^

Thanks NCG, I didn’t know any of that. :D
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:48 am

You are very welcome. Glad to help.
0 x

pennsylvaniapete
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by pennsylvaniapete » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:52 pm

I just found another advantage of the Henry ambidextrous hammer extension.

It helps you hold the hammer down so that you can get the bolt out easily!

No more trying to get your thumb between the scope and the hammer.
0 x

tcpip95
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by tcpip95 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:34 pm

I put a Leupold VX-5HD 1-5x24 on my Henry Classic 45-70. I don't expect to take a shot beyond 150 yards with it, and I get plenty of light through it. As North Country Gal said, it's all about the quality of the optics.
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:35 pm

And that sure is a quality scope. Should serve you well.
0 x