Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Too much scope?

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Too much scope?

Post by Rifletom » Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:20 pm

That is some solid advice/knowledge that NCG just posted there Sumaru. Well stated NCG.
4 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:26 pm

Thank-you, tom. Appreciate it.
2 x

pennsylvaniapete
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by pennsylvaniapete » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:19 pm

I also recommended buying the hammer extension from Henry. I got the one that sticks out both left and right side of the hammer.

It has a slot right in the middle of it…and seems to be more stable than the standard one that just extends out of one side.

A touch of blue thread locker will keep the set screw from loosening up.
1 x

Sumaru
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Sumaru » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:55 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:55 am
Sumaru wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:25 pm
JEBar wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:05 pm
way back in time (AKA - my younger days) the rule of thumb we followed for selecting the magnification power of a scope was 1 power per every 10 yards you anticipated shooting .... for us, our Henry 357 and 44 Mags are 100 yard guns .... so good 3 X 9 scopes works well
That's what I'm running, a 3-9. Any take on the 50mm vs 40mm objective? Is 50mm overkill?
Sumaro, as a gal who made a living selling optical equipment - binoculars, telescopes, microscopes, spotting scopes and riflescopes - my advice is to not overplay the importance of objective (front lens) diameter for the purposes of image brightness. Yes, it is an important part of image brightness, but it is not the only factor, not by a long shot. You can't just take one feature and assume all scopes are the same. It's just not that easy when comparing different scopes. Other factors are very important. I don't want to start a mini course on optics, but assuming the same 6x magnification, a 40mm lens with high grade lenses and top of the line lens coatings can appear every bit as bright in low light as a cheap 50mm scope at 6x with cheap lenses and coatings. And that's just the beginning of the conversation.

Okay, if the science of optics is not your thing, I also used to hunt back in the day, early morning, late evening. I can't think of a single low light situation where a quality 40mm scope was not bright enough to make a legal/ethical shot. Emphasis is on quality, here. Never underestimate the importance of optical quality.

PS. I never had a customer who ever came back and complained that I sold them too good a quality optic. :)
Thank you NGC..I can appreciate the science of optics- used to be a service/support engineer for theodolites/total stations/laser trackers where optical alignments were paramount to instrument accuracy. I picked up the Vortex Crossfire 3-9x50 Straight Wall model. Hoping this one makes the cut. Leupold & such is just not in the budget at the moment, but have read good things about this manufacturer/model (internet...take it with a grain of salt)!
0 x

Sumaru
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Sumaru » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:57 pm

pennsylvaniapete wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:19 pm
I also recommended buying the hammer extension from Henry. I got the one that sticks out both left and right side of the hammer.

It has a slot right in the middle of it…and seems to be more stable than the standard one that just extends out of one side.

A touch of blue thread locker will keep the set screw from loosening up.
Got that one on order as well! I thought maybe the symmetry of the part might be better for even wearing.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:23 am

I’ve always thought I should spend as much on the scope as I do the rifle. Of course I don’t always do as I think.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:58 am

Sumaru, during my time as an optics expert for an internet optics dealer, I personally visited the folks at Vortex. They are based right here in Wisconsin, in fact. Great people totally committed to good customer service. You chose well.

Gene, I can't always spend as much on a scope as the rifle/pistol, either, but my favorite guns do get the good stuff. Given how many guns you and I both own and shoot, it would be pretty hard to put an expensive premium grade scope on all of them. Even the guns we don't shoot much, though, get decent scopes for the money.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:24 pm

I hear you Joanie. Sometimes I have to rob rifle Peter to pay rifle Paul.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:04 pm

Yeah, I've played the scope musical chair game many times.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:07 am

Personally I like smaller scopes on my Big Boy’s. 2-7x33 works great and so far I have not had to use a hammer extension. I do find that even with a small scope like mine I need to use a strap on cheek riser. I would imagine your 3-9x50 is mounted at a height that a riser would help.
0 x