Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry Big Boy Ring and Base Set (H006/H012 Series) Height

Not_Invented_Here
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Henry Big Boy Ring and Base Set (H006/H012 Series) Height

Post by Not_Invented_Here » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:52 pm

Anyone running these - the one piece ring/base combo you order direct from Henry's website? Thinking about picking it up and running a Leupold FX-I 4x28 fixed power or the Leupold VX Freedom 2x7, both rimfire. I've used the 4x before and already have a 2x7 I could swap from my Ruger Rimfire. Probably need some more practice with the buckhorns before I throw in the towel but so far I'm not a big fan.

1) Curious about the height, the unit doesn't appear to have the lowest rings - both of those Leupold's are fairly compact, especially the 4x, and I'm wondering if they would position the scope too high.
2) Curious about eye relief and the scope position - looks like they are offset forward slightly and while I think there would be plenty of room to move the 2x7 back, I'm wondering if the 4x would sit too far forward given how small and compact it is.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Henry Big Boy Ring and Base Set (H006/H012 Series) Height

Post by markiver54 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:07 pm

If you're referring to the Talley mount, that's what I chose for my Henry 357 BB Steel. On it, sits a small Weaver scope that clears the SBH sight.
20181124_214040.jpg
20181124_214040.jpg (86.16 KiB) Viewed 2894 times
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Not_Invented_Here
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Not_Invented_Here » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:13 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:07 pm
If you're referring to the Talley mount, that's what I chose for my Henry 357 BB Steel. On it, sits a small Weaver scope that clears the SBH sight.20181124_214040.jpg
yessir - I assume it sits low enough for your preferences/purposes then? I'd much prefer the ring/base single unit vs mounting a pic rail and low rings separately, but I also am under the impression these can be a bit awkward to scope. I figured either Leupold, but especially the small 4x, would work well and sit low. I likewise have a BB Steel in 357.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:21 pm

Yes, it suits me just fine. I like the Talley mount because the lower rings and base are one piece. No need for lapping. As a matter of fact, lapping the Talley will void the warranty. Some shooters don't bother lapping their rings of any kind.
The Tally arrangement just makes sense to me. Less screws to work themselves loose.
BTW, I love this rifle!😁
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:25 pm

Not_Invented_Here wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:52 pm
Anyone running these - the one piece ring/base combo you order direct from Henry's website? Thinking about picking it up and running a Leupold FX-I 4x28 fixed power or the Leupold VX Freedom 2x7, both rimfire. I've used the 4x before and already have a 2x7 I could swap from my Ruger Rimfire. Probably need some more practice with the buckhorns before I throw in the towel but so far I'm not a big fan.

1) Curious about the height, the unit doesn't appear to have the lowest rings - both of those Leupold's are fairly compact, especially the 4x, and I'm wondering if they would position the scope too high.
2) Curious about eye relief and the scope position - looks like they are offset forward slightly and while I think there would be plenty of room to move the 2x7 back, I'm wondering if the 4x would sit too far forward given how small and compact it is.
I went with a different set up on my .41mag BBSC, but yes, you may have to get a butt cuff/cheek riser to get a decent cheek weld/sight picture. Butt cuff is from Diamond D.

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/p ... -butt-cuff

Scope is Nikon 3-9x, 40mm. Rings I bought locally, Base is the Henry H006/H012 Weaver base. I went this way instead of the one piece, so I could take the scope off easily without messing up eye relief/cant and having to re-zero. The set up is also a bit lower than the one piece set up imho. 1.78" between scope center line and bore center line.

0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

LM Gorton
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by LM Gorton » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:49 pm

Ordered that set up from Henry a few days ago, they say it will be here tomorrow...website says it will accommodate up to a 50mm scope, seems like a nice mount for the price
0 x
Keep your powder dry