Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Semi-buckhorn Sight Picture Help

Cleveraction
Wrangler
United States of America

Semi-buckhorn Sight Picture Help

Post by Cleveraction » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:16 pm

Hey shooters! Well, got the rear sight drifted back in and went to the range... and I'm here for advice. Elevation is on the lowest setting and it *felt* like I was shooting crazy high. I had the bead buried as low as possible... basiclly just to I could see it. Tough to get a picture but this is close, or maybe it was a little lower.
bead.jpg
bead.jpg (50.95 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
With the bead buried, I put the bottom of the orange target atop the bead and was 5 1/2 high at 25, then 3 1/2 with an adjustment. the next three shots are the center group, but instead of putting the 6 o'clock at the bottom of the orange, I was at the bottom of the paper.
Image (12).jpeg
Image (12).jpeg (59.86 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
It was rougher on the corner target, as I had to estimate the center of the corner floating in the middle.
little.jpg
little.jpg (55.27 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
At 100 I was all over the map as small deviations in my "how much low" guess added up to greater differences.
100.jpg
100.jpg (55.2 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
So, am I doing it wrong? Elevation is on max low, is the bull supposed to "float" in the center? I don't really know where to put the bead consistently and the last time I shot this way I used blade style sights with good luck. Tips appreciated, as at this rate, I couldn't afford the amount of ammunition it would take to be proficient! Peep could help, but I hate to sink the money in if I am ending up with glass anyway... I thought this would be a good litmus test and it went...meh.
0 x
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land.
~Aldo Leopold

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Semi-buckhorn Sight Picture Help

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:26 pm

What load were you shooting? I have a great fix for those hard to see it notches......
Attachments
ghost ring sight insert for 44 Henry.jpg
ghost ring sight insert for 44 Henry.jpg (60.21 KiB) Viewed 3570 times
2 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:34 pm

Results with above sight from 35 yds.
Attachments
Henry dialed in with MB 240 bullet with 18.5 2400.jpg
Henry dialed in with MB 240 bullet with 18.5 2400.jpg (152.75 KiB) Viewed 3568 times
0 x

Cleveraction
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Cleveraction » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:44 pm

I tried both the federal premium Powershok 170 and the Hornady leverevolution 160.

Thanks for the reply, The idea was to try the semibuckhorn as a precursor to buying a ring/peep, but maybe results of one are not indicative of how the other will do.

Can I ask where you got the inserts? Also, is that what your front bead sight picture looks like? When I tried it that way is was WAAAYYY HIGH off paper.
0 x
~Aldo Leopold

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:32 pm

Well I make them out of the ends of hacksaw blades....some here call it the "Redneck" sight insert. I adjust it to where you keep the front bead in center of circle and your target on center of bead or on top of bead. Makes it easy to line up on target especially with old eyes. Have them on all my Henrys.
1 x

Cleveraction
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Cleveraction » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:12 pm

Well, I just realized there is a small screw on that semi-buckhorn that you can loosen and get some additional elevation adjustment from. I will loosen that screw and move the notch down which should bring the bead up and *hopefully* get that bead into a more usable position.
1 x
~Aldo Leopold

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:39 pm

Sorry, I was going to mention that yesterday but figured you had seen it.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:55 pm

Also, the white diamond insert is adjustable as well. When I first got my Henry, I was shooting high. After I learned that the insert adjusts as well, I was shooting better POI. But, I wanted a better sight picture out to 100 yards, so I went with a traditional type peep sight. In addition, I typically use a 6 o'clock hold. The sight picture will be as steady as the stance used (prone, sitting, standing, or kneeing). It is best to rest the forearm (as close to receiver as possible) of the rifle, if possible. The shots below are sitting using a bench rest.

images.jpg
images.jpg (9.44 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
H009-Peep.jpg
H009-Peep.jpg (45.17 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Cleveraction
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Cleveraction » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:04 pm

Thanks all. I might give it another go, today I took the bolt out and after looking through the bore made some adjustments to the rear sight kind of going back and forth between the two. We'll see what happens!
1 x
~Aldo Leopold

Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Luv the lever » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:39 am

I went to the range with anther and we both shot our 30-30's for the first time and had the same issue until I realized the insert was adjustable. My first instinct was to order skinner sights or scope it but now that I have the rear figured out it stays.
0 x