Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Buckhorn sights factory elevation setting & screw

Cleveraction
Wrangler
United States of America

Buckhorn sights factory elevation setting & screw

Post by Cleveraction » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:09 pm

Hey gang! Just ordered a new 1-6 scope, but am still feeling the urge to try the skinner peep sights.. but I'm a little nervous about taking the plunge...

Before I stay with glass, I decided to shoot the buckhorns to see how I do, then decide if I can go peep or to stick with the glass.

I had to remove the buckhorn for scope mounting, and am about to reinstall it and go to the range. I *think* the buckhorn was on the secondish elevation rung from the factory. Does anyone know where they are set from the factory? Did you find you had to go up/down from there?

Also, I remember taking out one screw. There is a hole on the top of the buckhorn, does the screw operate like a set screw? Lastly, any guess which of these screws is the right one? Probably one w/o locktight, and maybe it has a washer? Can one of you please take a peek at yours and let me know washer/no washer?

Thanks much, pics below
buckhorn.jpg
buckhorn.jpg (57.85 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
Attachments
screws1.jpg
screws1.jpg (32.71 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
0 x
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land.
~Aldo Leopold

Cleveraction
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Buckhorn sights factory elevation setting & screw

Post by Cleveraction » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:14 pm

When in doubt, read the manual... https://assets.henryusa.com/uploads/202 ... Manual.pdf page 9-10.

For the number of rounds I'm sending downrange, I can probably live without the set screw, but I would like to know which one it is and the factory setting would be a little helpful but not critical.

Thanks again!
0 x
~Aldo Leopold

Cleveraction
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Cleveraction » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:22 pm

Sorry for all the posts. I think I figured the screw out... one of these things is not like the other. It is the small set screw with a slightly smaller head the the plug screws for the bases...
set2.jpg
set2.jpg (64.54 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
set1.jpg
set1.jpg (54.08 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
0 x
~Aldo Leopold

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:08 pm

You don't have to completely remove the screw. Just loosen a turn and you can tap the sight over. When at the range put a piece of light colored tape in front of the sight base and put a small mark where the site is for a reference point when adjusting windage. My Henry came with the elevation set at lowest point.
2 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:22 pm

I really like 1x6's on my AR's. At my age I can't see well enough with open sights but still do fairly well with peeps.
0 x