Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Figuring out a scope for the handy single shot model

deerwdr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Figuring out a scope for the handy single shot model

Post by deerwdr » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:17 am

H015- 350 single shot scope mounting

I own a single shot H015 in 350 legend. I like the way it shoulders and wanted to keep the iron sights. It shoots well enough. Since my primary use is on WT Deer, and I hunt in pretty deep woods, that wont work. We can legally shoot in the 30 minutes after legal sunset. That’s a dark time in thick woods especially on a cloudy day.

I have a Picatinny rail for it, but my scope will not clear the hammer even with Leupold medium bases. I need to buy the hammer expander regardless I guess: : https://henrypride.com/collections/rifl ... 1831688716

I was thinking that the Talley Rail might be a better fit since its specifically for the single shot models :
https://henrypride.com/collections/rifl ... ary-models

That sums up what I have and where I am in the process of setting the gun up. So here’s my main question. On the single shot gun, keeping the Picatinny so my face stays low, how the gun is designed, is there a shorter scope with a longer eye relief that you found to fit well for this gun? If the scope stays in front of the hammer, I could use short bases and really keep it close to the barrel. Thanks for any ideas.

One other question. Is there a Henry cartridge holder? I’ve seen generic makes that wrap around the stock to hold five rounds opposite your face. I didn’t see one on their site. Using my H&R slug gun, shotgun sabots never bothered me lose or in a five pack in my hand warmer or pocket. But these little 350s can slip around too much.

Thanks
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Figuring out a scope for the handy single shot model

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:33 am

Henry sells a simply rugged cartridge holder. You can also get it from the Simply Rugged company itself. They will make one for your 350 and most other calibers. You will need or want a hammer extender with a scope. Im not sure how the tally set up will work as I havent tried it and I dont think anyone here has given a report on one. As far as a scope goes most of the longer eye relief scopes that I am aware of are pistol scopes. From looking at my single shot when scoping it I would almost bet that one of the cartridge holders with the cheek pad will be necessary to get a good check weld. The drop on the stock is a little too much for me anyway with medium and tall rings. YMMV
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

deerwdr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Figuring out a scope for the handy single shot model

Post by deerwdr » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:38 am

Agreed. The gun is made for low profile down the barrel sighting. Thats another reason I'd like to keep a scope closer to the barrel.
0 x