Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ring height for Weaver V3 scope

Chunkychuck
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Ring height for Weaver V3 scope

Post by Chunkychuck » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:21 pm

I have pretty much decided to get a Weaver V3 1x3 for my Steel .357. I really don't want to remove the factory rear site. When I place a straight edge across the top of the mount I purchased from Henry, the straight edge clears the rear sight. That means, if my math is correct, the low, medium, and high rings all would work. Specs from Cabelas. Weaver® 1" Matte Rings – Height from base to middle of ring:
Low .589"
Med .668"
High .832"

I looked online to see if I could find some images of the scope on a Henry to see if the scope extended over the rear sight. I didn't see any. If it does and I think it does, I don't think I want .089" (low) clearance. The medium would give me .168" and the high .332". If any of you have mounted a Weaver V3, what rings have you used to mount the scope? I'm not so much concerned for cost but for strength, durability, and stability since they are connecting point between the scope and rifle.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Ring height for Weaver V3 scope

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:58 pm

Low mounted is usually better as long as there is no clearance issues. I don't have a Henry like yours but that should be a nice set up and not look out of place on a lever rifle.
0 x

Todddanger
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Todddanger » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:29 am

I spoke to Talley about mounting a Leupold 1X4 on my 45/70. They said the low rings and mount will work.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:24 am

Todddanger wrote:I spoke to Talley about mounting a Leupold 1X4 on my 45/70. They said the low rings and mount will work.
Thanks for the info, Todddanger, and welcome to the forum.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:17 am

Love the Talley one-piece rings and base setup on my Marlins. If the Weaver is a straight tube in front, can't imagine it wouldn't clear the rear sight. Even on my 1894CS with it's very short receiver, this old Leupold 1-4x is still too short to even touch the rear sight when it was there.

One a lever gun, I always go as low as I can with a scope. A typical lever gun stock is not designed for scope use. Even with low rings, it's still sometimes iffy with any kind of cheek weld.

Still, in the end, it sometimes comes down to trail and error when mounting a scope on a lever gun. Best of luck and welcome to the forum.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:40 am

The 1x3 power adjustment clearing the hammer should be more of a concern.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:38 pm

It should clear the hammer, but accessing the hammer to cock the rifle can also be an issue, so a hammer spur (extender?) likely will be needed. Someone posted a while back about a new version made by Carlson for Henry centerfires that looks good. It's aluminum, so is lighter that the steel versions. That's supposed to ease wear and tear, and maintain lock time.
0 x