Peep sight for failing eyes

1942farmall
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Peep sight for failing eyes

Post by 1942farmall » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:35 am

Morning all from the Communist Republic of CA,
Just picked up my new H010G 45-70.
Always been a Marlin guy but love the feel of this rifle.
I also like the white diamond rear sight and really want to leave this rifle scopeless.
As with most aging old codgers, my reading vision sucks which makes looking down the barrel thru the open sights challenging. Anybody have good feedback on a rear peep such as a Skinner with similar eyesight issues? Why would the aperture be different than the buckhorn?
Hoping I can keep my front sight factory.
Thanks
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Re: Peep sight for failing eyes

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:54 am

I have a Marbles tang on my 1892 Win, and a Ranger Precision on my Marlin 45LC, and a Williams on my HW50. All have improved accuracy. I've never had the Skinner so don't have a reference for them but they seem to be very popular and work well. I have RVO and take eye injections every 5 weeks.
Jake
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Peep sight for failing eyes

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:38 pm

A peep sight for aging eyes can help via taking the rear sight out of the sight picture. How much it helps, though, varies with the individual, so it's one of those try it and see things. I've been fighting the old eyes thing for some 20 years, now, and find that a red dot or scope is a MUCH better option for me. A low power scope for short range work is my favorite option. Works in all lighting situations. That's me, though. Each to their own.
0 x