Other
No votes

Total votes: 21

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Iron Sight Used

Post by GFK » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:55 am

I understand that people may use firearms various ways (hunting, target practice or self defense). For those who want a traditional type sighting system, which type of iron sight is desired? So far, I have preferred ghost ring over open sight for hunting. But, exploring the possibility of a peep sight. Just wondering what most people prefer. Thanks!
Last edited by GFK on Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Iron Sight Used

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:30 am

GFK wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:55 am
I understand that people may use firearms various ways (hunting, target practice or shelf defense). For those who want a traditional type sighting system, which type of iron sight is desired? So far, I have preferred ghost ring over open sight for hunting. But, exploring the possibility of a peep sight. Just wondering what most people prefer. Thanks!
"Shelf defense"? :lol: Don't have a clue what sight that would require. Maybe just a bead on a shotgun?

I have used the other 3 you mentioned and sometimes no sight. Don't really have a general preference, since it depends on the weapon, the range, the target, the weather, etc.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:33 am

Other than my tang sight on the 1885 single shot, open sights is all I know.
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:38 am

I prefer a peep for plinking and target because they are the most accurate for me. If I hunted I would go with an open sight for the broader field of view.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:46 am

GunnyGene wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:30 am
GFK wrote:
I understand that people may use firearms various ways (hunting, target practice or shelf defense). For those who want a traditional type sighting system, which type of iron sight is desired? So far, I have preferred ghost ring over open sight for hunting. But, exploring the possibility of a peep sight. Just wondering what most people prefer. Thanks!
"Shelf defense"? :lol: Don't have a clue what sight that would require. Maybe just a bead on a shotgun?

I have used the other 3 you mentioned and sometimes no sight. Don't really have a general preference, since it depends on the weapon, the range, the target, the weather, etc.
Thanks for the correction Gunny! :lol: Also, thanks for the feedback.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:49 pm

GFK wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:46 am
GunnyGene wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:30 am
GFK wrote:

Thanks for the correction Gunny! :lol: Also, thanks for the feedback.
C'mon now. Don't tell me you've never been ambushed by a sneaky ruthless shelf. I have been, several times in my life. Usually I could wrestle the beast to the ground, but those Ikea shelfs are tough hombre's and often attack in packs. ;)
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:57 pm

LOLOLOL Ikea is the worst haha Ever get hit by a meatball?
0 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:31 pm

Kissmybrass wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:57 pm
LOLOLOL Ikea is the worst haha Ever get hit by a meatball?
Can't say I have. Although I did hit a meathead once. :)
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:31 am

Thank you everyone for your input! It seems most folks use a peep sight. RPP's Cloverleaf (ghost ring) and peep sight use the same base. So, I probably just try the peep sight insert. If I don't like it, it's simple go swap out. Plus, I end up with two sights, which could come in handy.
Last edited by GFK on Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:49 am

Mine is a .44 BBS carbine. I put a Skinner express peep sight on the rear. This old style peep sits pretty high. I tried to get by with the OEM front post with the bead but it had to go. After a bit of trial and error it has a Skinner tall front post, real thin, and it works pretty well. Others say they had no trouble with the original front post but mine couldn't be brought down onto target with the adjustment available on the peep.
I don't miss the bead front sight. The thin, flat blade works best for my old eyes. I centered it in the dovetail by eyeball and the windage turned out perfect. I painted the rear face of it white for low light.
The peep turned out one turn works with 225 grains and up bullets, with it screwed in one turn the hotter 180s will be on. As far as resale goes, I won't be selling it but I keep all the original hardware I take off any gun.
1 x