Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Big Boy X model in 44 mag sight and scope options

deerwdr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Big Boy X model in 44 mag sight and scope options

Post by deerwdr » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:19 am

I just bought a big boy X in 44 mag last week.

The state I hunt wt Deer just passed a statute allowing the use of rifles with straight wall cartridges in formerly shotgun only counties, so when I found this Big Boy X in 44 mag I bought it. After trying to sight it in I have a few questions that I’m hoping others with similar experiences can share some solutions.

The fiber sights on the gun just do not work for me at all. All this is my opinion based on my eye sight needs. I cant sight the gun in accurately due to the slop in the sight picture. The front sight post does not fit tightly into the bottom of the rear buckhorn sight. And the front post is too big for me to accurately fix a solid repeatable sight picture.

Regarding iron sights, have any of you found a replacement for front and rear that is fully adjustable with screws, not tapping on it in the dovetail? Also and equally important, is that the sight picture is a tight and exact fit. I have a Marlin 30-30, and a Remington 700 I bought 4 decades ago and from the bench on a lead sled, I could consistently shoot 5” max groups at 100 Yards. That’s the gun’s ability, sitting on a lead sled, not necessarily my shooting ability. I’m also a fan of peep sights as I shot expert with an M16 for 5 years in the Corps. And I loved my uncles 22 that had a peep sight when I was a kid. So I’d like to consider a peep sight set up as well.

With these sights on my new Henry, I’m not confident sighting in at 25 yards. Surely no confidence to go whacking the rear sight in the dovetail to make “precise” adjustments. I’m sure if I slammed a couple dozen rounds down range I’d be OK to hit a pie plate at 20. Since I’ve had both eyes cataracts corrected recently, I image I can see a deer in twilight without a scope, but that’ll be something I need to establish.

So I’m also open to the idea of a scope mount. I ordered the Henry scope mount which will be here next week. What low profile scout-type scopes have you found to be a great match for your lever action? I love the idea of using this gun with iron sights but if I can’t find a good match for me, I’d try a scope if it provides quick sight acquisition—the whole idea of a lever action rifle. I’ve seen newer scopes with super long eye relief, but I haven’t tried one. I don’t want a scope to force me to walk up the stock, but I cant wrap my head around the idea of a six inch eye relief, or how I’d mount it.

Thanks for any insight!
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Big Boy X model in 44 mag sight and scope options

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:41 am

Have you thought about a red dot at all.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

deerwdr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by deerwdr » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:57 am

I have not, but I'm not opposed to any idea. I guess the idea is that the dot is only visible when the correct sight alignment happens, sort of its either on or off? I guess my first question is about the size of the dot. If its big enough to see with a long eye relief, how would you sight it in at 50 or 100 yards?
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:12 pm

deerwdr wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:19 am
I just bought a big boy X in 44 mag last week.

The state I hunt wt Deer just passed a statute allowing the use of rifles with straight wall cartridges in formerly shotgun only counties, so when I found this Big Boy X in 44 mag I bought it. After trying to sight it in I have a few questions that I’m hoping others with similar experiences can share some solutions.

The fiber sights on the gun just do not work for me at all. All this is my opinion based on my eye sight needs. I cant sight the gun in accurately due to the slop in the sight picture. The front sight post does not fit tightly into the bottom of the rear buckhorn sight. And the front post is too big for me to accurately fix a solid repeatable sight picture.

Regarding iron sights, have any of you found a replacement for front and rear that is fully adjustable with screws, not tapping on it in the dovetail? Also and equally important, is that the sight picture is a tight and exact fit. I have a Marlin 30-30, and a Remington 700 I bought 4 decades ago and from the bench on a lead sled, I could consistently shoot 5” max groups at 100 Yards. That’s the gun’s ability, sitting on a lead sled, not necessarily my shooting ability. I’m also a fan of peep sights as I shot expert with an M16 for 5 years in the Corps. And I loved my uncles 22 that had a peep sight when I was a kid. So I’d like to consider a peep sight set up as well.

With these sights on my new Henry, I’m not confident sighting in at 25 yards. Surely no confidence to go whacking the rear sight in the dovetail to make “precise” adjustments. I’m sure if I slammed a couple dozen rounds down range I’d be OK to hit a pie plate at 20. Since I’ve had both eyes cataracts corrected recently, I image I can see a deer in twilight without a scope, but that’ll be something I need to establish.

So I’m also open to the idea of a scope mount. I ordered the Henry scope mount which will be here next week. What low profile scout-type scopes have you found to be a great match for your lever action? I love the idea of using this gun with iron sights but if I can’t find a good match for me, I’d try a scope if it provides quick sight acquisition—the whole idea of a lever action rifle. I’ve seen newer scopes with super long eye relief, but I haven’t tried one. I don’t want a scope to force me to walk up the stock, but I cant wrap my head around the idea of a six inch eye relief, or how I’d mount it.

Thanks for any insight!

Mentioned the Nikon (3-9x40mm) I have in your other post, but here's the sight picture. Leopold or other decent scopes will provide a similar sight picture.

And what the scope looks like on my BBSC .41mag. Big and bulky but it get's the job done, which is my 1st priority. :)

0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:03 pm

deerwdr wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:57 am
I have not, but I'm not opposed to any idea. I guess the idea is that the dot is only visible when the correct sight alignment happens, sort of its either on or off? I guess my first question is about the size of the dot. If its big enough to see with a long eye relief, how would you sight it in at 50 or 100 yards?
Seeing the dot is actually easier than lining up iron sights. You do not have to be perfectly in line behind the red dot to see the dot. On a rifle, a red dot is much easier to see and use than a scope. It is very fast and easy to pick up and see.

You can place a red dot as close to the eye as you want or as far away as you want, even clear out on the barrel. There's no eye relief issue as with a scope.

The usual 2 to 4 MOA dot size will allow very accurate shooting out at 50 yards, even out to 100 yards, depending on the size of your target. At 50 yards, I use a red dot with a 3 or 4 MOA dot size and it will just fit inside a 3" bull at that distance.
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:09 pm

deerwdr, that Henry scope mount you're getting, is that thr one piece Talley? If so, I have one on two Henry's and they work real well. One scope is a Weaver Classic 1-3x20mm and the other is a Leupold 2-7x33mm shotgun scope. Big improvement on my hitting. Hope this helps.
As mentioned above, red dots are very helpful also. Now you have some ideas to play with.
0 x

deerwdr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by deerwdr » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:35 pm

[/quote]

Mentioned the Nikon (3-9x40mm) I have in your other post, but here's the sight picture. Leopold or other decent scopes will provide a similar sight picture.

And what the scope looks like on my BBSC .41mag. Big and bulky but it get's the job done, which is my 1st priority. :)

[/quote]

Is that a cheek pad for raising your face on the stock?

I'm familiar with the sight pictures on regular scopes
0 x

deerwdr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by deerwdr » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:42 pm

Rifletom wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:09 pm
deerwdr, that Henry scope mount you're getting, is that thr one piece Talley? If so, I have one on two Henry's and they work real well. One scope is a Weaver Classic 1-3x20mm and the other is a Leupold 2-7x33mm shotgun scope. Big improvement on my hitting. Hope this helps.
As mentioned above, red dots are very helpful also. Now you have some ideas to play with.
Its the one they offer on their website. It is a base that includes the bottom half of the rings. Smart idea.

I took a 2-7 Bushnell elite off the shotgun I had to retire, so I'll see how that comes up for me. I almost want to try something different with this Henry. One of the low profile scouts or red dot maybe. If I love the bushnell I'll leave it be

Thats what motivated me to buy the straight wall rifle. Apparently the Sabots Hornady makes went south during 2020. Best group at 50 yards was 4"--pretty horrible and I had two that failed to fire. Lightfield was my go to but they stopped making sabots. Hornadys were fine till this past year, so now I'll wrap up that H&R slug gun for somebody else someday maybe. But I'm done looking for good sabots
0 x

deerwdr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by deerwdr » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:43 pm

I know the limits of the 44mag so I'm not looking for a sight / gun combo to make neck shots at 100 yards but I'd like confidence inside 100 yards
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:09 pm

deerwdr wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:43 pm
I know the limits of the 44mag so I'm not looking for a sight / gun combo to make neck shots at 100 yards but I'd like confidence inside 100 yards
Good point, and I have the same pov. May I ask what ammo you will be using? I've found (thru chronographing and use) that Underwood ammo is superior to other brands of factory ammo in terms of consistency and accuracy.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.