Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Finally pulled the trigger

ssomad
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Finally pulled the trigger

Post by ssomad » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:12 pm

I’ve been obsessed with optics for weeks. Torn between a LPVO scout scope and red dot. I love the classic lines, maneuverability and light weight of my BB 357 and the 1-6x scopes seemed large and heavy for my intended use (plinking targets >50-100 yards and home defence). I ordered the Sightmark Wolverine FSR due to its size and features. Anyone else have that optic? Something with magnification may be a future purchase.
0 x

ssomad
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Finally pulled the trigger

Post by ssomad » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:06 pm

Update: Optics planet moved out shipping to May. I cancelled the order. Still not sure if a red dot or a reflex (vortex Venom) or a 1-4x scope is what I want. Isn’t a 1-4x with an illuminated rectile like having a red dot? I’d like versatility to shoot close and up to 100 yards. Suggestions?
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:51 pm

I have not tried a red dot or illuminated reticle. Lots of people seem to like them. I more of the fewer things that can go wrong that is the way I typically go. Yet, I did put fiber optics on my Henry and Marlin. But, only naturally light is required. In very low light, may not show as well. For close in work, I probably have a good chance. However, it is nothing that I look forward to. Nonetheless, it is what it is.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:07 pm

The issue with illuminated reticles on the cheap versions is that you can't tone down the brightness enough to get a sharp reticle or dot. On the other hand, I have used a Leupold R 1.5-6x scope with the illuminated dot at the center of the crosshairs and it was amazing. Really was like having a red dot with magnification. Unfortunately, all of the R series use 30mm tubes, so small and light they are not. And, for sure, be prepared for some sticker shock. Awesome scopes, though.
1 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:55 pm

I've used an earlier model Sightmark red dot on my AR15 and it has performed exceedingly well. I've never had to rezero it unless I change ammo. and then only minor adjustments. I can shoot 2" groups a day long at 100 yds. with my AR15. I would recommend the Sightmark products.

Paul
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:43 pm

My limited experience with a red dot was on a turkey gun. I didn't like it, because, unlike a scope, all the knobs remain visible and clutter the view, or at least my view ;) . I replaced it with a "SeeAll" reflex sight. I wouldn't recommend it for 100 yards or more, but I do like the SeeAll over a red dot, just for the no batteries if nothing else. The smallest, lightest rifle scope going these days is a Leupold Ultralight 2.5X, at about 7 ounces. I have one on a Henry single shot 45-70, which groups into about an inch at 100 yards. Just shoot at a target that you can see :) .
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:55 am

I'm not familiar with that sight .... looking forward to your use reports .... be sure to follow the link below to where you can add your Henry to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p209060
0 x

LM Gorton
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by LM Gorton » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:00 pm

Just hung an illuminated vortex crossfire 2 on my 45colt, seems to be a decent glass for the price, I've had a 3x red dot on my shotgun for years, I like that little light in there!
1 x
Keep your powder dry

Coach
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Coach » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:45 am

Optics Planet is horrible. I ordered a scope from them that never came. Check out reviews and most are 1 star because they always back order most everything.

Run away fast...
0 x
Deplorable California 2A supporter.

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:21 am

The only illuminated scope I have is a Nikon Blackforce 1000 that I have on my Radical Arms AR. It does nicely at 50 yards but have never tried it on 100. I've also never used the illumination. Nikon is out of the scope business, but you could use this for comparison.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018513373
Jake
0 x