Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Scope base - what do you do?

Davel91
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Scope base - what do you do?

Post by Davel91 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:47 pm

I recently purchased a Henry Single Shot rifle in .350 Legend that I will be using for deer hunting. I bought the EGW picatinny mount from the Henry store that is made for the rifle. This is my first serious optic mounting I am doing and I'd like to get it right. My only concern is rust developing between the scope base and mounting surface of the barrel. I'm pretty sure the mount is aluminum but obviously the barrel is steel. A Henry rep advised degreasing everything before installing. What's stopping rust from developing between the base and mount with the now bare metal? Would a light coat of oil under the base hurt anything? I will not be hunting in high-humidity conditions or in soaking inclement weather. Are my concerns overblown? What's your experience?

Thanks
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Scope base - what do you do?

Post by John E Davies » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:31 pm

I always add a little oil to that joint, in several places, as well as to the gun’s screws and moving parts. it will work its way in and prevent rust. You are correct that you should degrease the area, the screw threads especially, so the loctite will work, but it is important to get some oil back in there afterwards. Your rail is anodized, and the barrel has a protective coating (nitride?), so they are not “bare metal”. But you do need to give them some extra rust protection, from sweaty hands mostly. Don’t forget the dovetails for the sights, and the sight screws, add a tiny amount of oil there every now and then.

A needle oiler is very useful. ..... https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-too ... 20180.aspx

I have been doing this forever, and it is very effective in preventing rust. Though in dusty conditions it isn’t so good, the dust will stick. I hate stripping down a used gun and finding internal rust!

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

Davel91
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Scope base - what do you do?

Post by Davel91 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:07 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:31 pm
I always add a little oil to that joint, in several places, as well as to the gun’s screws and moving parts. it will work its way in and prevent rust. You are correct that you should degrease the area, the screw threads especially, so the loctite will work, but it is important to get some oil back in there afterwards. Your rail is anodized, and the barrel has a protective coating (nitride?), so they are not “bare metal”. But you do need to give them some extra rust protection, from sweaty hands mostly. Don’t forget the dovetails for the sights, and the sight screws, add a tiny amount of oil there every now and then.

A needle oiler is very useful. ..... https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-too ... 20180.aspx

I have been doing this forever, and it is very effective in preventing rust. Though in dusty conditions it isn’t so good, the dust will stick. I hate stripping down a used gun and finding internal rust!

John Davies
Spokane WA
Thank you! I will get one of those needle oilers.
0 x