Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Skinner optics, 1-6x24 rifle scope

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

New Skinner optics, 1-6x24 rifle scope

Post by John E Davies » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:04 pm

This was news to me, it looks like a very neat and tidy setup for field use on a lever or single shot rifle.

E8618996-8D3B-4BF5-9954-8E45EAAF4219.jpeg
E8618996-8D3B-4BF5-9954-8E45EAAF4219.jpeg (431.61 KiB) Viewed 1612 times

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/skin ... fle-scope/

I already have a Leupold 2-7x33 on my BBX .44 Mag, or I might consider this one.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: New Skinner optics, 1-6x24 rifle scope

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:39 pm

I like the idea of it. I wonder where it is made? With the 30mm tube it allows for a larger objective lens which should help in low light situations.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:08 pm

I like the idea. I have 1x6's with illuminated reticles on my AR's and like them a lot. Very fast target acquisition at 1x and enough magnification at 6x to print 1" groups at 100yds. Looking forward to more reviews.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:12 pm

interesting concept .... Skinner should do well with it
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:43 pm

30 mm tubes have the function of allowing more MOA of scope adjustment, but on this one, the 30m tube is about making room for that illuminated dot in the scope. Almost all illuminated reticle/red dot riflescopes have a 30m tube for this reason.

As always, check the specs to make sure a scope is right for you, though. Despite having a 30mm tube, this one is a bit anemic with only 60 MOA of scope adjustment. This could be an issue if you decide to go with high see through rings to co-witness with iron sights, meaning you might run out of elevation adjustment on the scope. It's happened to me with rimfire scopes using high see thru rings, which usually have that same 60 MOA of adjustments in elevation. (A comparable Leupold centerfire with a 30mm tube will have 120.)

Also note that at nearly 18 ounces, this is no lightweight. By the time you add rings and a base, you're pushing a pound and a half or more added to your lever gun.

Hey, not knocking the scope. Love Skinner and nice to see them expanding their line. As I said, check those specs, though, to make sure it's a good fit for your application. This one should work fine for most lever gun applications and Skinner, fo course, is a name you can trust.
0 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:49 pm

I was sorry to read that it is made in china. Oh well I will buy something else.
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:44 pm

I am glad that you noticed that and brought it to our attention. I will not be buying one even if they were ten dollars including the mounts. What good would it be to buy a rifle "made in the U.S.A. or not made at all" and then put a scope on it made by them?
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:50 pm

I’m wondering who else might be slapping their name on it also. How much input has Skinner added to the development of the scope? Was it designed by Skinner or is it just marketed by them?

I’m not knocking Skinner as I have several of their iron sights and highly recommend them. I talked to Andy a few years ago and there was just him, his wife and one employee. He modified a few front H001 sights so they could take a Lyman globe.
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:09 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:50 pm
I’m wondering who else might be slapping their name on it also. How much input has Skinner added to the development of the scope? Was it designed by Skinner or is it just marketed by them?
Did you read the article?

“ I wanted to bring forward a scope that would be suitable for the lever-action platform, with clear optics, useful yet simple reticle, good, crisp adjustments, affordable, and with the quality [necessary] to wear the Skinner brand name. [Designed by] drawing on a lifetime of experience in the outdoors and the hunting and shooting sports, this scope features the high points of what we always wanted in a scope. We have been extensively field testing this optic with great success. The proof is in the freezer.”

Sounds like a whole lot more than just rebranding an existing scope.....

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:01 am

John E Davies wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:09 pm
Sir Henry wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:50 pm
Did you read the article?

“ I wanted to bring forward a scope that would be suitable for the lever-action platform, with clear optics, useful yet simple reticle, good, crisp adjustments, affordable, and with the quality [necessary] to wear the Skinner brand name. [Designed by] drawing on a lifetime of experience in the outdoors and the hunting and shooting sports, this scope features the high points of what we always wanted in a scope. We have been extensively field testing this optic with great success. The proof is in the freezer.”

Sounds like a whole lot more than just rebranding an existing scope.....

John Davies
Spokane WA
Yes I read it and still have the same questions. What does “bring forward” mean?
1 x