Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Skinner optics, 1-6x24 rifle scope

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: New Skinner optics, 1-6x24 rifle scope

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:40 pm

As someone who worked inside the optics industry, I can tell you that very few brand names have the financial muscle to contract for specs over and above the standard list of menu options offered by these oriental wholesale optical companies who actually make the products. Going custom - veering off the standard menu of options - is a hugely expensive proposition. Even specifying extra QC above the standard menu option will cost you. Again, I have the greatest respect for Skinner, but I seriously doubt there was any design input by Skinner beyond choosing from the menu list of options. That's certainly not a putdown of this scope. It's SOP for most brand names who contract products on a wholesale basis from the Orient. Again, if it has the specs you want at a price you can afford, go for it. Beyond that, the important thing for the customers, is how well the brand will back their product and I'm sure Skinner will be top notch, here.

As for a nearly identical scope, but one with greater MOA of adjustment, check out the Vortex Strike Fire 1-6x24.
2 x

EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Post by EasyEd » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:58 pm

Hey All,

Yeah I think this is reality. If a good product buy it if you need/want it. Good luck finding and buying almost anything manufactured that is not in part or whole made in the Orient commonly China for a truly competitive price. I too am looking for a scope like this only I'm thinking 1-8 power.

-Ed-
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:36 pm

I just bought a 1.5-4x20 scope and might have considered the Skinner if I had known about it. A 1-8x24 would have certainly met my needs in power and light gathering. In the end the scope I did buy did not go on an American made rifle. It went on a CZ.

Also in my six scope lot was two scopes made in the Philippines. The other four were made in Oregon.

I do not object to buying foreign made but I do choose the foreign country.

I wish Skinner good luck even if it’s not for me.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Oldbrass
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Oldbrass » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:25 am

Country of origin isn't important outside of politics, quality control is what makes quality products. I can't see Andy putting his brand on a sub par optic. This may be a real gem. Time will tell
0 x
30-30, Helping bad fisherman eat since 1895

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:10 am

I like the idea Skinner's advocating, but this one is about twice as heavy as I would want to mount on a light hunting rifle. And as Jeff Cooper once said, it's a bad idea to put a flashlight in a rifle scope ;) .
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:36 am

Oldbrass wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:25 am
Country of origin isn't important outside of politics, quality control is what makes quality products. I can't see Andy putting his brand on a sub par optic. This may be a real gem. Time will tell
You are right about the country of origin. No glass is made in the USA. Even Leupold buys foreign made glass blanks from the Orient. They however grind them in Oregon.

For decades Germany has been the quality leader in optical glass.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:53 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:36 am
Oldbrass wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:25 am
You are right about the country of origin. No glass is made in the USA. Even Leupold buys foreign made glass blanks from the Orient. They however grind them in Oregon.

For decades Germany has been the quality leader in optical glass.
Don't forget Japan. Japan is actually a bigger player in the prestige glass arena, these days. All the big name camera companies, with the exception of Leica, use Japanese glass for their premium line of lenses. Even some prestige German binocular and riflescope makers like Zeiss now make most of their their lenses in Japan. (Those vintage Zeiss binoculars and riflescopes made in West Germany are now getting quite collectible, though the technology is dated.)
0 x