Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Big Boy 44 owner / Sight questions

ol'pole
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: New Big Boy 44 owner / Sight questions

Post by ol'pole » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:56 pm

I put Marbles' sights on mine, bullseye rear and fiber optic front. Fast, clear open sight picture, unlike peep sights you can see all around your front sight. Check out Marblesarms.com. American made for aver 100 years
0 x
I love my country but I fear my government

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:19 pm

Welcome from the Land of Sugar! I've become fond of the Skinner barrel sight more than the receiver sight. Just my preference.
Jake
0 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:37 pm

I did not like the buckhorn sights either.
I first went with the Skinner barrel mount peep sight and it worked good and I did not have to change the front sight. Over time, I thought a receiver sight from Skinner might give me better accuracy, so I bought a receiver peep sight from Skinner. I also had to change out the front sight. I bought one from Skinner that you file down to meet what you need. I think I like the receiver sight the best but is costs about twice a much and you will most likely have to replace the front sight also.
I also tried a Marbles bulls eye sight on my Golden Boy rifle. It was a good sight for my old eyes but the ramp sight adjustment is not always a fine enough adjustment and you may have to rely on a little "Kentucky Windage"
They are all good sights in my opinion - much better than the Buckhorn - just comes down to personal preference.
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

DeathValleyMike
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by DeathValleyMike » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:43 pm

DeathValleyMike wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:37 pm
Rifletom wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:45 pm
Welcome DVM! There are plenty of .44 mag shooters here to help with advice on the sights you're asking about. I had to scope my two Henry's.
You'll get help here, no doubt. Keep that 336.
That 336 will be with me till I die. My daughter took her first 2 deer with it. She has already claimed it!😁
My son likes the new Henry so that will work out great!

I’m gonna sell several bolt guns and buy more Henry rifles!
Think I’ll keep one or two in case .

Great being here guys!
Being patient, but this outlook may change.
1 x

DeathValleyMike
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by DeathValleyMike » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:38 pm

Since my last visit here I have gotten my rifle back from Henry and elated that it is 100 great!
I shot a buddy’s 45/70 with the Skinner and really liked it, but it was still pretty slow target acquisition in thick cover .

I bought a Ranger Point precision and tried it out Saturday and while I like the construction and look better than Skinner, it was pretty much the same. (Do love the clover leaf rear).

I had a set of True Glow fiber optic red and green sights I ordered when I first got the rifle but didn’t like the fiber optic look on such a traditional looking rifle .
Well, I broke the true glow sights out Saturday and was blown away!
I kept all but one round out of 10 on a paper plate at 80 yards with the fiber optics, and getting on target in the brush was much quicker!
I hate the look , but for tired eyes they are amazing!
I’m gonna leave them on for now, but I may put the RPPs back on for another try later.
The True Glow sights are all steal , fit great and seem sturdy!

If you want to try the True Glow sights, they are only $36 on Amazon.
0 x

pennsylvaniapete
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by pennsylvaniapete » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:16 pm

I have 4 Henry rifles.
1) BB .357 mag
2) BB .45 colt
3) BB X .44 mag
5) Golden Boy .22 l.R.

I bought Pic rails for each of them on eBay, and cut the rail length down to match the top of the receivers profile. So, all Big Boys have the same length rail. I have a Vortex Venom red dot sight that I move to the rifle I want to use that day. A few shots to confirm POI and I am good to go.
I am over 75 and had a difficult time with open sights. The red dot did the trick for me and looks good on the rifles.
3 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:21 am

Another option would be to look into a forward mounted red-dot sight. There are short mounts available for mounting on the barrel, and some of the smaller dot sights would work quite well in that capacity, along the lines of a scout scope style setup. To me, it does not keep that "traditional" look and feel, but it sure as heck works for rapid target acquisition. Another benefit is that holding the rifle in one hand at the receiver balance point is still the same, so it carries well too.
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:31 am

DeathValleyMike wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:38 pm
Since my last visit here I have gotten my rifle back from Henry and elated that it is 100 great!
I shot a buddy’s 45/70 with the Skinner and really liked it, but it was still pretty slow target acquisition in thick cover .

I bought a Ranger Point precision and tried it out Saturday and while I like the construction and look better than Skinner, it was pretty much the same. (Do love the clover leaf rear).

I had a set of True Glow fiber optic red and green sights I ordered when I first got the rifle but didn’t like the fiber optic look on such a traditional looking rifle .
Well, I broke the true glow sights out Saturday and was blown away!
I kept all but one round out of 10 on a paper plate at 80 yards with the fiber optics, and getting on target in the brush was much quicker!
I hate the look , but for tired eyes they are amazing!
I’m gonna leave them on for now, but I may put the RPPs back on for another try later.
The True Glow sights are all steal , fit great and seem sturdy!

If you want to try the True Glow sights, they are only $36 on Amazon.
You know RPP does their sights with fibre optics too, right? That’s what I had on my Marlin 1895 GS.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF