Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Old Original Henry's

Share the good stuff with all of us. Leave the bad out. Let others know what good things you found.
RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Old Original Henry's

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:23 pm

Some cool rifles, including a Henry Transitional with loading gate (?) :o

http://www.rarewinchesters.com/models.shtml
6 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Old Original Henry's

Post by JEBar » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:39 pm

nice find .... thanks for posting
1 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:26 am

Rock Island Auctions does YouTube vidoes to promote their upcoming auctions. They get quite a few amazing Henry and Winchester rifles. Those rifles are to die for.
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:28 am

What a cool site tnx
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:21 am

Thanks RR - there is some great stuff there, and the articles are very interesting. Image
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:34 pm

Interesting excerpt from one of the articles on the Henry:
There has been much speculation that if Custer would have been armed with his old Spencer carbines he might have escaped with some of his men or even defeated the Sioux. In 1873 the military adopted the .45-70 Trapdoor Springfield. They chose it because of it's greater range and power over the Spencer. In an article by George Lyman for Dixie Gun Works 1989 Annual, he feels the Spencer would not have made a difference because it had a slower rate of fire than the Springfield. The rate of fire, according to his tests, for the Spencer was 14 per minute and for the Trapdoor Springfield 16 per minute.(18) I happen to disagree with his figure for the Spencer. It is closer to 22 per minute using a Blakeslee cartridge box. But let's speculate from the Henry perspective. What if Custer and his entire command were armed with Henry repeating rifles and the "McKinch Box." The Henry is capable of firing 45 shots per minute. Custer's group numbered a total of 600 men, before he split his force. At a rate of 45 shots per minute, that equals 27,000 rounds of ammunition per minute to be fired at 1,200 to 1,500 Indians. I think the Henry would have made a difference. So much for the "what if" questions.

Custer's reality was that he was armed with the Trapdoor Springfield and many of the Indians had the Henrys. On the recent excavation at the Little Bighorn, there is evidence to show the Indians were armed with over 100 Henrys or Winchester Model 1866 rifles. One hill the Indians were shooting from had so many Henry casings that it was nicknamed "Henry Hill." All of these were aimed at Custer and his men with their Trapdoor Springfields.(28) The Trapdoor Springfields were adopted for their power and greater range, but the common soldier did not any target practice. In one battle the soldiers fired over 30,000 rounds of ammunition only to kill 9 Indians. There are very few instances where the greater range of the Springfields saved the soldier's lives. In fact it took the government until 1893 to adopt a repeating rifle, the .30-40 Krag.(27)
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

This may interest some of you~~~

Post by Catherine » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:13 am

There is a famous auction house in Maine, one of many back on the east coast, that has many older and antique guns. They sell not so old guns too. They sell many other items but when I see the name of the one in Maine - it reminds me of those older guns.

http://www.sixguns.com/bunkhouse/elmer_keith.htm

I think, if my memory serves me right that the one auction house in Maine, sold MANY of Elmer Keith's guns and/or some of the items from his 'museum' in Salmon, Idaho.

Here is one of many articles about that auction in Maine. I looked it up. Julia's in Fairfield, Maine.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/the ... -auctioned

^^^
Old auction that I wrote about elsewhere in the past.

LINK:

http://jamesdjulia.com/

Jame D. Julia Auction House

^^^

Sometimes you can find some interesting items and GUNS on the above website and some of them are as nice as in other parts of the country including two famous auction houses in New York.

Disclaimer: I never bought an item at an auction house and I have no connection to any of them.

I do not know if there is still a EK Museum in the Boise, Idaho Cabela's store. EDITED TO ADD: Cablela's does NOT have an EK Museum in Boise according to the one article. They CLOSED it up. I was never in Boise but in other parts of Idaho. Plus Bass Pro is supposed to be buying and/or IS still interested (?) in buying them out. Winter (2016/2017) news.

Here is another link that some of you may enjoy.

http://www.elmerkeithshoot.org/

I was reading an old news article about a BIG gun auction in Texas and the late man was a Texas Ranger during his lifetime. The news article had a LINK to some Texas auction site and there were some COOL old and new guns, knives and all kinds of stuff for sale.

I am a Minimalist at heart and I was never a Collector of ANY specific item. Many things/objects and subject matters interested me in the PAST and some of them STILL DO at 66 years old. I had/have eclectic taste in art and in many things but I did LEAN to traditional things. I used to own about 5,000 books in my lifetime but I did not collect them or own only one subject matter in reading material. I used my local libraries a LOT too! :)

Even though I am a Minimalist in Life...I always find some of these GUN articles very interesting to read and SEE all of the items for sale. This goes for FIREARMS, sail boats, power boats, art, houses, cabins, etc.

Cate
Last edited by Catherine on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:14 am

ditto1958 wrote:Rock Island Auctions does YouTube vidoes to promote their upcoming auctions. They get quite a few amazing Henry and Winchester rifles. Those rifles are to die for.
I have read about them too. I did not know that they did You Tube videos now. Cool!

Cate
0 x