Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Pageant of Steam Canandaigua NY

Share the good stuff with all of us. Leave the bad out. Let others know what good things you found.
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Pageant of Steam Canandaigua NY

Post by daytime dave » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:57 am

It's in progress. I was supposed to go Saturday, but probably won't be making the trip. Lot's of neat stuff there.

http://www.pageantofsteam.org/pageant-of-steam/
4 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Pageant of Steam Canandaigua NY

Post by PT7 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:36 am

Looks like a cool organization. I know I'd enjoy the tractor pulls, espec. the antique venue. About 10 years ago while living in WI close to my Dad, he invited my wife and I to an annual "Farm Heritage Festival," http://www.lcfpd.org/museum/events/farm ... -festival/ which was held only about 5 miles from his home. Dad owned a few tractors, and always enjoyed using and working on them. Anyway, at this festival there always is a tractor pull, and an especially interesting parade of antique tractors. Definitely not as large as the NY event, but neat nonetheless. This county org states that their purpose is to celebrate "rural roots." I think the motto of your pageant is really right on and a great focus: "Demonstrating the past to educate the future." Too bad you'll miss the pageant this time, DD.
0 x

~Пока~

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:12 am

Love Steam.

Trains, Tractors, Boats, Sawmills.
0 x
NRA Member

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:13 am

Too bad you have to miss it, Dave. It really looks like fun. I love steam, too. A few miles from home there will be a festival of steam engines at a state park in September. If we feel well enough, we'll be there for it. We also have a steam train that passes by behind the neighbors' houses across the street from us -- every ninety minutes starting at 11 am. We can tell time by it's sweet sounding whistle. When my father-in-law was a conductor on it, I was once privileged to ride in the engine. Awesome.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:16 am

Thanks, looks like a lot of fun and very interesting also. This weekend, here, is the C.V. Antique Engine & Machinery Assoc. 34th annual steam & gas show, runs all weekend. Hundreds of old tractors, tractor pulls, steam engines and a huge flea market and lots of good food. No admission or parking fee. I have taken the grandkids the past two years but they are on vacation for the next ten days so I may or may not go myself depending on how hot it gets.
1 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:55 am

Tractors everywhere! Sounds like your show will be neat, too, Dutch.
Quite surprising to read "no admission or parking fee." That doesn't happen very often. ;)

Deadwood Dutch wrote:Thanks, looks like a lot of fun and very interesting also. This weekend, here, is the C.V. Antique Engine & Machinery Assoc. 34th annual steam & gas show, runs all weekend. Hundreds of old tractors, tractor pulls, steam engines and a huge flea market and lots of good food. No admission or parking fee. I have taken the grandkids the past two years but they are on vacation for the next ten days so I may or may not go myself depending on how hot it gets.
1 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:58 am

Well, I have to ask, CT.
When your rode in the steam engine, did you get to pull that "sweet sounding whistle?"
That would have been awesome X2!! :)

CT_Shooter wrote:Too bad you have to miss it, Dave. It really looks like fun. I love steam, too. A few miles from home there will be a festival of steam engines at a state park in September. If we feel well enough, we'll be there for it. We also have a steam train that passes by behind the neighbors' houses across the street from us -- every ninety minutes starting at 11 am. We can tell time by it's sweet sounding whistle. When my father-in-law was a conductor on it, I was once privileged to ride in the engine. Awesome.
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:00 am

First time I've heard someone mention "sawmills," Cowboy.
Can you tell us any stories you might have? ;)
Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:Love Steam.

0 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:39 am

PT7 wrote:Well, I have to ask, CT.
When your rode in the steam engine, did you get to pull that "sweet sounding whistle?"
That would have been awesome X2!! :)
It would have been awesome X2, but - No. I was on the train making a short video about my father-in-law as a school assignment, so I had the camera rolling the whole time. Still, it was way cool! Lots of rail fans dream about it. Very few get to do it.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:21 pm

PT7 wrote:First time I've heard someone mention "sawmills," Cowboy.
Can you tell us any stories you might have? ;)
Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:Love Steam.

I enjoy watching them make piles and piles of shingles at the shingle mill.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member