Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ex. Navy servicemen

Share the good stuff with all of us. Leave the bad out. Let others know what good things you found.
biglever
Cowhand
United States of America

Ex. Navy servicemen

Post by biglever » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:46 pm

Just incase you don't know there is a great site
For looking up your old Ship.
http://WWW.HullNumber.com.
You can even search up your old shipmates
1 x

DWD445
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Ex. Navy servicemen

Post by DWD445 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:22 pm

That's pretty cool, I found my Dad's ship from WWII And a couple of links to it and PBY Catalina sea planes
The ship was a sea plane tender and he was not on it much, but in the air or water.
U.S.S Norton Sound
http://www.ussnortonsound.com/

http://www.pbycat.org/
2 x
NRA - DW wheelguns - H012S - Oh CCW

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:09 pm

I didn't do ships. But I found my Dads first and last ships. His first was USS Sitka. APA113 attack transport. He was in Yokohama harbor ten days after the surrender.
His last ship was USS Newport News CA148 Heavy Cruiser. His last Med cruise was around 1961.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:08 pm

Thanks, that is very interesting. Unfortunately, every time I got new orders it was for another shore station. The only time that I got to board a ship was in Guantanamo Bay Cuba when on the weekends I could catch a ship that was headed to Jamaica or Haiti for weekend liberty. They would be down there for fleet training. I was on the USS Glover a couple of times and on some other destroyers but I do not remember their names. It was a long time ago. I went from Great Lakes to Arlington, Va. to Bainbridge, Md. to Norfolk, Va. to Guantanamo Bay. The one thing that I did enjoy was having my car with me everywhere except Cuba. But I would have liked to have been on a ship that went to the Mediterranean. Then again, I always think that I was fortunate not to have gone to Vietnam. I had a friend who became my best man at my wedding who was over there. And some other friend from Norfolk who got his orders for a PBR (river patrol boat) with the "Brown Water Navy" in Vietnam. I'll never forget the look on his face when he found out that he had orders for a PBR. I heard that the ships decks got so hot that you could fry an egg on them.
1 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:55 pm

Good to hear you ex-Navy fellows reminiscing....

And the "HullNumber" web site to find an old ship is really cool. I wish there were some way to locate a couple of fellows I was with in the USAF, but I don't know if there is any common point such as a ship to use in a search.

Have a great day, Navy!
1 x

~Пока~

biglever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by biglever » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:03 am

This pic was taken from the USS Klondike AR-22
We were anchored in Vung-Tau for about a month or so doing repairs to other ship.s
IMG_20151016_180905_335.jpg
O great now I got two pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by biglever on Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

biglever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by biglever » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:05 am

This pic was taken from the USS Klondike AR-22
We were anchored in Vung-Tau for about a month or so doing repairs to other ship.
My cell ph.likes to flip pic.
My pic didn't come out I will try again
Nope. Doesn't like my pic. It was of a navy swift boat patrolling. The area . one night we were called
To general quarter s because of incoming artillery
Rounds. Landing about 100 yds off our bow.
As we made the ship ready to get underway. They canceled the order. They found out it was frendly fire. Somewhere they were testing a piece of artillery they serviced. And were just fireing out to sea.
I was on the ship's landing party, with the gunnys
We would patrol around the main deck watching for junks. Getting to close to the ship were divers
Could slip over the sides and swim up to ship and attach. Under water explosive's to the hull.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x