Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Magnolia Plantation and Gardens

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Magnolia Plantation and Gardens

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:35 am

“ This begs the question "why did the gator cross the road?"

Obviously to get to the park bench!

That insect does indeed look angry.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:47 am

As long as it's not to get to the photographer on the other side, I'm good.

I don't really worry much about the gators at the swamp. They are pretty comfortable around people, which is a bad thing. They don't, however, seem to be interested in us as food, which is a good thing. There certainly are a lot of them in a fairly small area.

Just for a little background, these are the "slave cabins" on the other side of the swamp garden.

_DAB0469-topaz-denoiseraw.jpg

Here are some of the early crop of GBHs waiting for mom or dad to show up with some breakfast. One of the photographers said that earlier this week she got a shot of them feeding the little ones in this nest a baby gator. That would have made a great image.

_DAB0410-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg

Here's a little blue heron quietly watching for fish. He was more intent on his meal than the idiot with the camera less than a dozen feet away. While most of the inhabitants of the swamp won't let you get as close as I would like, they are used to people, and some individuals are rather tolerant of me getting close. Most do require you to learn the smooth and stealthy approach. One quick movement and most are gone. One advantage of my mirrorless camera is the ability to put it in "silent mode". No mechanical shutter in this mode, and it mutes the focus lock beep so that shooting is virtually noise free.

_DAB0487-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg

And another insect shot. I believe this is a signal fly. Keep in mind I am not an entomologist, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

_DAB0601-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen-3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:56 pm

More gators today.
_DAB1884-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen-2.jpg
_DAB1840-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
_DAB2006-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:31 pm

clovishound wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:47 am
Here's a little blue heron quietly watching for fish. He was more intent on his meal than the idiot with the camera less than a dozen feet away. While most of the inhabitants of the swamp won't let you get as close as I would like, they are used to people, and some individuals are rather tolerant of me getting close.

That's actually a Green Heron. I had the privilege of having one visit my backyard pond and got quite a few photos. None as good as yours, though.

Green_Heron.jpg
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:43 am

I stand corrected. I had shot a bunch of little blue herons in recent trips, so I ended up lumping them together, even though they are not that similar. Thanks for pointing that out.

BTW, I like your picture. I would imagine that small pond would attract a number of birds, and makes a great backdrop. Everybody, myself included, wants to bring out the long lenses when photographing birds, but sometimes having enough of the background in the scene gives nice context, and sometimes, mood to a picture. I doubt this image would have the nice peaceful mood if it had been shot with something like a 600mm lens, which would have excluded and blurred out most of the background.
1 x