Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Dock Dogs

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Dock Dogs

Post by clovishound » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:28 pm

The Pup and I went to the South East Wildlife Expo today. Mainly, we wanted to try our hand at photographing these dogs in action.

_DAB8106-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg
_DAB8065-topaz-faceai-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
This isn't one of my best images of the day, but I wanted to post a picture of this dog. That isn't her right hind leg tucked under his body, she only has three legs. What a trooper!

_DAB7514-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
_DAB7337-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Dock Dogs

Post by JEBar » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:57 pm

impressive
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:23 pm

This guy is riding an imaginary motorcycle. Uuddin Uuddin

_DAB7861-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
_DAB8049-topaz-faceai-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
_DAB8139-topaz-faceai-denoiseraw-sharpen-2.jpg
This may be the best of the day.

_DAB7782-topaz-faceai-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
I could probably do OK at this if I had the time and opportunity to practice a bunch, and learn from mistakes. I definitely don't do as well as I do with macro. As there aren't that many opportunities to shoot these dogs in action, I don't think I'll be doing much with this niche.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:14 am

Interesting, I had no idea there was a competition for this.
Very nice action shots.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:39 am

This is one of the more popular activities at the expo. Today and tomorrow they will include some "extreme vertical" competitions where the "bumper" is attached to a high pole and the dogs are judged on how high they can jump and retrieve the bumper.

All the competitions I took pictures of today were "Big Air Wave" where they were judged on how far they jumped. They had a series of video cameras set up, and distances marked off on the side of the pool. They then look at the footage on a monitor and can easily measure where the base of the tail was when it hit the water. Here you can see the distance marks on the sides of the pool.
_DAB7333-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
The dogs are almost more interesting when they are in the water, than in the air.
_DAB7775-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:52 am

I think I really like this competition, because you know the dogs love it. The joy is evident on their faces. To get to that level, they spent lots of time in practice with their family. My dogs always loved to chase, retrieve, and the water. :roll: Well, all but one. She'd look at you as if to say, "You threw you, YOU go get it." She was fine with tug'o'war. :D
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:08 am

Some nice shots if you ask me.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:17 am

As Al said, great shots. Our local sportsman’s show used to have a dock dog competition but I was never smart enough to go see it. No sure if they still do but it’s coming up in March and maybe I’ll take a look.

Thanks for the pics.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:28 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:52 am
I think I really like this competition, because you know the dogs love it. The joy is evident on their faces. To get to that level, they spent lots of time in practice with their family. My dogs always loved to chase, retrieve, and the water. :roll: Well, all but one. She'd look at you as if to say, "You threw you, YOU go get it." She was fine with tug'o'war. :D
Well, lots of the dogs are very excited, very well trained, and eager to go get the
bumper".

The 3 legged dog was one of those.

_DAB7446-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg

Some of the newer dogs needed a bit of encouragement.

_DAB7399.jpg

Despite this they might just put on the brakes when it came time for the big leap.

_DAB7394-topaz-denoiseraw.jpg
2 x