Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

bought a drone

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
Ernie
Drover
United States of America

bought a drone

Post by Ernie » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:30 pm

One of the people at the Christmas gathering had a drone and I was watching the screen on the controller and was very interested. He was filming a video across the river valley into town, what an interesting perspective. Afterward I was talking to his sister who is a firefighter that uses a drone at fire locations and she showed me some videos she had taken at Lake Michigan. Now I am more interested. Decided to think about it for a while. I was at a friends shop last Saturday talking about the drone I was thinking about and told him he should talk me out of it. He grinned and said " I'll drive ". I bought a DJI Mini Pro Fly More Combo. It is basically a very nice camera with video that has smart tech. I have been watching tutorials and reading the manual ever since. This drone connects to GPS and has a Return Home option that will bring it back and land if it is running low on power, has exceeded the controller signal or if I tell it to. It had obstacle avoidance and each battery lasts 30 - 40 minutes. It can do several things hands free but the return feature is my favorite so far. I flew it for the first time today for about 15 minutes and it is still in one piece. Now it is back to reading the manual and gathering knowledge to learn more of what it can do. I am not that familiar with cameras so I need to better understand shutter/ video speed, f-stops and other conditions I can control and get more comfortable with flying so I can use the camera feature better.
If you let the controls go, it will just hover so it is much less stressful than flying a radio controlled plane. The drone folds up to about 8"x5"x4" so it is very portable and can be launched for any firm surface (a piece of carpet or board) so I would like to check out several areas locally. I am pretty thrilled with this drone so far and will be getting more flying time to get better with it and hope to use it for some interesting (at least to me) pictures and video.
Any one else using a drone?
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: bought a drone

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:23 pm

I want one I can send to the store for a gallon of milk.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:13 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:23 pm
I want one I can send to the store for a gallon of milk.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:22 am

I got one for Christmas. DJI Mini-3 Pro Drone Bundle, includes the fly more kit batteries and charging dock. It did not include the greater than 30W charging adapter. I had to buy that separately (60W). It came with the RC1 (non-display) controller, so Christmas day I was digging through old tablets to use as a flight control display, iPAD Air 2. I also bought separately motor caps to minimize dust and moisture intrusion into the motors.

Today I spent most of the day trying to figure out why the real-time video feed looked like crap. Heavy blue/green over saturation. After many hours of trying different settings and no help google searches, figured out the iPAD Air 2 can't properly handle the video feed from the remote controller. When I download the video and picture files from the SD card to my PC and look at them there they are fine. Actually excellent looking. Now I have another reason for my dislike of Apple iPADOS products. I'll be looking for an Android tablet to use as a display.

More about the drone. Overall I really like it. It fly's really well. At this time, I fly it in Cine (gentle response to the controls) mode. Someday when I have more confidence I may switch up to normal mode. Probably never use sport mode (too fast and skiddy slippery in the air for me). The Return to Home feature is very nice to have. While I was fiddling around with video setting today I had left the drone out a ways from the house in a hover. Kinda forgot about it in my video debug efforts. The low battery return to home notice startled me. It came home and hovered about 3 or so feet from the takeoff point. It gave back control and I moved it over and landed it.

About collision detection. That is also very nice necessary feature. Unfortunately it's not 360. It only has detection front, rear and downward. There is no detection side to side or upward. So flying sideways for making panoramic videos can be risky. No upward detection for me is a bummer. I live under a tree canopy, so I have to be very careful about climbing. This is also a risk for the return to home function. Some of the return to home scenarios cause the drone to climb and fly across to the home point descend and then land or hover near the takeoff point. Today's live return to home scenario started about 15 feet off the ground and about 100 or so feet out. The drone came straight back to the takeoff/home point without climbing (whew). I'll be buying the DJI Care flight insurance because of my crash risk.

Well, enough for now. I suppose both Ernie and I will have more tales to tell.
DJI Mini-3 Pro Bundle.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:37 am

I would hate to crash one of those given what they cost. :shock: Would be like throwing a new Henry out of a plane.
Congrats guys...Ya'll don't mess around when taking on a new hobby. Please share with us, about some of your future flights. Don't think I'll ever own one myself. :|
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:53 am

Interesting subject, I’ll be following along.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:30 pm

I think I would enjoy owning one but right now I have too much going on. Once I get my two garages built I’ll have time. Keep posting.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:13 pm

I wouldn't mind having a drone with live video to the laptop so that we could fly the pastures to check for intruders, check the fence lines and the like, and take aerial photos, but I think the really quality video isn't cheap. I figure if we bought one we would want the features listed above. Return home, the avoidance features, etc. The intruders we'd most be concerned with would be four legged predators....
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:43 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:37 am
I would hate to crash one of those given what they cost. :shock: Would be like throwing a new Henry out of a plane.
That's why I'll be buying the insurance. $79 for 1 yr or $125 for 2.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:01 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:13 pm
I wouldn't mind having a drone with live video to the laptop so that we could fly the pastures to check for intruders, check the fence lines and the like, and take aerial photos, but I think the really quality video isn't cheap. I figure if we bought one we would want the features listed above. Return home, the avoidance features, etc. The intruders we'd most be concerned with would be four legged predators....
I have a $180 HolyStone drone before this one. The video out of it was pretty good. But it did not have any device safety features. Not even land on signal loss. It's Wifi based so the range was limited to a couple hundred feet. I was very worried about fly away on signal loss with it.

As for flying the DJI Mini 3 Pro, the radio range is rated in single digit miles depending on obstructions and interference. Yesterday I was controlling from inside the house where it was warm. Despite the messed up color in the live video stream I had very good clarity. Today I ordered a Samsung Tab S6 Lite to replace the iPAD Air 2.

Live video directly to laptop might be possible if that laptop can run the DJI Fly app. Maybe an iMAC or ChromeBook connected to the flight controller. Not sure how someone would do it to a MS Windows laptop. DJI doesn't have an app for that OS.
0 x