Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The elusive wood duck

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

The elusive wood duck

Post by clovishound » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:19 pm

Got a chance to go back to try my hand at some wood ducks this morning. The Pup was with me, so I abandoned the idea of setting up at one spot and wait for the ducks to come to me. I will try and get out soon by myself. I have a place staked out and will bring a folding chair, and perhaps my camo netting as a makeshift blind. Got a couple shots of them, but too far away.
_DAB4617.jpg
_DAB4623.jpg
Got a decent shot of this guy. There was probably a wood duck or two inside him at one point.
_DAB4628.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by clovishound on Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: The elusive wood duck

Post by Cofisher » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:39 pm

My mother loved the Woodies. She taught me where to look. And, had places on my folks land for them. I've only shot a couple. Thinking a camera may be my best shooting in the future.
Thanks for the inspiration.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:03 pm

They are beautiful birds. They are one of the most skittish birds I've had in my sights. Most of the wading birds ignore you until you get within about 25 ft. The woodies take off with just a little noise from 100 ft or more. If they weren't so darned pretty, I would just ignore them.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:43 pm

Very common nesting bird on our small lakes, up here. See many of them in spring and fall, too. Alligators, though, NOT.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:18 pm

They are here too seasonally.
Last edited by Mags on Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:32 pm

Ironically, the thing that most folks are almost obsessed with at the local parks is the alligators. And, it's not just the tourists. Many of the locals are nuts to see them, and talk about them as well. I've had enough up close and personal encounters with them to have satisfied my curiosity about our cold blooded neighbors.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:58 pm

Great Pics Clovis, as always. I grew up in Florida, for the most part, and lived on a canal in a small town outside Tampa called Land o'Lakes for a couple years in a small cabin. We were just about 50 yards from the water. I had a row boat and was allowed to fish the lake by rowing out of the canal. My stepfather had resealed the bottom of the rowboat by painting it with road tar, so it was so heavy you couldn't capsize it if you tried. :) I was still in elementary school, but this was the 60s, rural Florida, and I was limited to the parts of the lake where I could still see the mouth of the canal.

We saw a LOT of gators back then.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:32 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:43 pm
Very common nesting bird on our small lakes, up here. See many of them in spring and fall, too. Alligators, though, NOT.
We get turtles in the roads in the spring.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:40 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:58 pm
Great Pics Clovis, as always. I grew up in Florida, for the most part, and lived on a canal in a small town outside Tampa called Land o'Lakes for a couple years in a small cabin. We were just about 50 yards from the water. I had a row boat and was allowed to fish the lake by rowing out of the canal. My stepfather had resealed the bottom of the rowboat by painting it with road tar, so it was so heavy you couldn't capsize it if you tried. :) I was still in elementary school, but this was the 60s, rural Florida, and I was limited to the parts of the lake where I could still see the mouth of the canal.

We saw a LOT of gators back then.
Gators in the lowcountry are FAR more numerous now than they were back in the 90s when I first started diving the rivers. I was talking to the folks at Magnolia Plantation the other day. They had drained the rice field to do the annual controlled burn. They said there were hundreds of gators in the field.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:08 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:32 am
North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:43 pm
We get turtles in the roads in the spring.
When we're out on the trikes/bikes, we help the off the road when we can. The problem is that they like the sandy soil along roads for nesting.
2 x