Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Got a new toy, I mean tool for Christmas

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
2ffat
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Got a new toy, I mean tool for Christmas

Post by 2ffat » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:11 pm

Pardon me for the ignorance, but what is the advantage of the gimbal tripod head?
0 x
I look just like my avatar.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: Got a new toy, I mean tool for Christmas

Post by clovishound » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:33 pm

For those who aren't familiar with them, this is the setup with the new tripod I just got as an early birthday present.
_DAB4350.jpg

The gimbal rotates smoothly in two directions, vertically and horizontally. It is often used by videographers, but is becoming popular among still photographers. It basically allows freedom of movement of the camera and still provides a great deal of support to minimize camera shake, even when not locked in place. If desired, the rotation can be locked down independently. A gimbal provides a lot of stability to prevent blurring from camera movement, without sacrificing ease of movement. Traditional tripod heads are very stable, but are often fiddly and difficult to zero in on a subject, or follow a moving animal, such as a bird in flight. The other advantage with a long, heavy lens is that it allows you to shoot uninterrupted for long periods of time. When I went to the birds of prey center last month, I had to shoot for a few minutes and then set the camera in my lap to keep from getting noodle arms.

The Pup and I made it back out to the Center for Birds of Prey today, and I was able to use the new tripod and the gimbal. I learned a few things to do differently next time, but manage to get a few decent snaps. I really enjoyed the smoothness and ease of use of this head, and the new tripod.

_DAB4458.jpg
_DAB4500.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya